Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-11-2014, 04:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
I would like to have year around help and well payed help with benefits, but I would be pricing myself way out of my competition.
well yes, even you did so, you would eventually go out of business for lack of business right?

one job I almost got last year went for 52k, I was 57k… everyone was around 55-60 ish…. these guys 109k…WTF!

This happened every time I see a bid opening… the sky is the limit! woohoo!

so you would think they would go out of business because they don't have any work? Right?

But they do.

How do they get it?
I'm thinking they chose their prices by throwing a hatchet at a dart board to pick a number.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
well yes, even you did so, you would eventually go out of business for lack of business right?

one job I almost got last year went for 52k, I was 57k… everyone was around 55-60 ish…. these guys 109k…WTF!

This happened every time I see a bid opening… the sky is the limit! woohoo!

so you would think they would go out of business because they don't have any work? Right?

But they do.

How do they get it?
I'm thinking they chose their prices by throwing a hatchet at a dart board to pick a number.
We have a company around here like that and they are the largest one. I don't get it. Snow plowing they charged 100 for a quicky down and back on a 300ft drive. Took less than 10 min of their time. Some of my rates ate begininng to be like that, but only for property management companies where I know the job is super short term and I am always on the phone putting out some fire.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-30-2014, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
Hardscape guys get paid 17-23

Equipment operators get paid 20-25

Lawn crew gets 12-17

Snow truck operators are 15-20
You pay well.
This seems to be the root of what separates awesome lawn companies....and the rest.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The starting pay has a lot to do with where you are. Here in Eastern Carolina, $10 an hour will have your phone ringing off the hook with people looking for that good paying job. Up in Maryland where I came from, $10 an hour won't even get you one call. You can buy a older 3 bed/2 bath house on 1/4 acre for $125k give or take here in Eastern Carolina. In Maryland the same house costs twice as much money. House rentals run the same way.

It's all about what it costs to live. Almost every one of these people are only looking for a job because they have to. They have bills to pay. They have no real expectations of ever having a million dollars. If you have bills that require you to have a job that pays $15 an hour, truthfully, why would you work for $10 an hour? If you c an pay your bills on $10 an hour, why not take the job.

You see, you guys all think you set the wages. You DON"T. The wages are set by the local economy. If you don't pay enough money, then you will have high employee turnover or even difficulty finding help. If your wages are right then your employees will tend to hang around longer.

Guys in high cost of living areas will ALWAYS pay more money. But you guys shouldn't look down on the lower cost area's wages. It's just the market setting the wages.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan27 View Post
I'd certainly agree with you here. One of the best lessons ever taught to me was when I was working in a car dealership back in my teens by the GM of the dealership. Long story short, it was time to clock out and a salesman pulls a new car into the wash bay to be cleaned up for the customer. Two guys I worked with said screw it and complained that they don't make enough to be putting in extra time. Two minutes later the GM of the dealership comes back there in his dress cloths and him and I are washing the car while the two of them watch. Then, to dig themselves in a deeper hole they make the remark about how they're under paid. The GM looks at them and says, "If you can't do a $9/hour job well, why would I pay you $12/hour?", dead silence. They were both fired. You can't ever pay a good employee enough, you can't ever pay a bad on too little. I think it's good practice to start people out at a low, but fair wage and raise their pay as warranted or fire them because keeping the bad ones isn't worth it.

Another old boss I had when I was in college didn't pay much, but he made it so those of us who worked for him and his wife always felt appreciated and they were always doing special stuff for us. I was 800 miles away from my closest family while I was in college, but they always made it a point to celebrate birthdays and holidays with me. The business he was in, he was ALWAYS getting invited to go on hunts. I can't count the number of duck hunts I got to go on at some incredible duck hunting clubs in Mississippi and Arkansas while working with him. Everyone who worked there WANTED to do every job to the best of their ability and it had nothing to do with our paychecks, we had a good boss who knew how to motivate people. Money is a poor motivational tool.

Well said, thank you for sharing. My wife and I are up late discussing an employee right now, trying to decide to give him another chance or let him go. Tough decision.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-31-2014, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Member

didn't read the whole thread...

I pay 10-20 dollars / hour, depending on the worker. I prefer young, strong, guys with lots of energy and ambition, and so I pay them the best. I want to pay all my guys a living wage. That means if they want they will have enough money to rent their own place AND not go hungry. I want guys who I can trust, believe in me and the company, and want to be apart of the company and to stay and see it grow. But it's also performance based pay so if you're not cutting the mustard anytime before your probationary period is up (3 months), you're done. I will also offer other incentives, rewards, raises, or recognition to my helpers too.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Member

It really comes down to the quality of person being hired. There are those if you pay them 18 hr. they will work enough to get them by, and come up with excuses why they cant be there daily. Same reason, former brick laying business owner, told me he would never pay anyone till after days work Friday, if he paid them at lunch so they could get checks cashed only about half would show back up. Now of course you can cut them loose but then you are trapped in a circle of finding employees that do good work.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I find the best labor fresh out of prison, they're crazy happy over $8 an hour and they will work their tails off for it, you do kind of have to keep an eye on them thou, most require rides and like to be treated somewhat as a 7 year old would... On another note I don't get how these companies manage to rake in 5-10 times what I can barely get away with either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crgstvrs View Post
It really comes down to the quality of person being hired.
I have suspected this may have something to do with it.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

all these dudes that come to work for you will have in their minds what they need to make a week.

$/hr don't mean **** to them.

They think weekly paycheck.

If you don't give them what they need, they find ways to take it…. lagging on jobs to make OT, picking up side work on you, reserving energy to work a night job.

Either way, paying 8-11 an hour because "that's all you can afford" costs you more money in the long run. Pay higher, hire guys that will work for the higher wage.
The other guys will apply… learn quickly who is who.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I pay a guy 12/hour who literally only mows.