Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-03-2013, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Seeding Bermuda With Universal Aeravator

I will be seeding a football field in KY with Riviera Bermudagrass seed in a few weeks. It has an decent stand of unknown bermuda. I have never seeded bermuda with my Universal Aeravator before but it is awesome for seeding fescue and rye.

I'm asuming I need to discharge the seed behind the tines instead of in front? I'm not sure about depth of the tines? Any advice would be great help.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Member

I too have an aerovator and am looking to use it seed Riviera bermuda seed. Have you seeded your field yet? If so, what settings to you have your seed box set on? Bermuda seed is so small I'm not sure if it will even work in the aerovator. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Member

they decided not to seed.
The Seedavator has calibration info for Bermuda, so it can be used for bermuda seed.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Member

You're right. "Pyramid" bermuda seed settings are listed on my calibration sheet! I'll test the recommended settings at my shop before heading to the field. That Riviera seed is expensive so I want to get it right. Thanks
Old 06-02-2014, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Seeded May 20 with Universal Aeravator
70/30 Riviera/ Trancontinental
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2014, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Below is a Youtube link to a video of the field up to 8 weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1EjwuOKncE
Old 07-29-2014, 06:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Excellent job documenting your work! Really interesting. Results are very good too so congrats on that.

I'd be interested in what it took in terms of irrigation and fertilizer to get to this point. Typically, in your area what does Bermuda look like by the end of the high school football season - dormant? I'm especially interested in what size tractor that is. I have an old JD 1050 that, according to the Aeravator manual, is too small yet yours seemed to have no problem.

Nicely done. Thanks for taking the time to post your method and results in such detail.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
Excellent job documenting your work! Really interesting. Results are very good too so congrats on that.

I'd be interested in what it took in terms of irrigation and fertilizer to get to this point. Typically, in your area what does Bermuda look like by the end of the high school football season - dormant? I'm especially interested in what size tractor that is. I have an old JD 1050 that, according to the Aeravator manual, is too small yet yours seemed to have no problem.

Nicely done. Thanks for taking the time to post your method and results in such detail.
Irrigated 3 times a day for 10 min for 3 weeks.
1 time a day for 20 min for 3 weeks.
Every other day for 30 min.

2 lbs N per 1000 sq ft, every 2 weeks until now. I will cut back in Aug to 1 lb

The turf will go dorment and turn brown at first frost which is about the first part of Oct. It will try to lose some color in late Sept.

It is a JD 4120, 40 hp. Lift cap is about 2500 lbs. It handles the 1500 lb Aeravator easy with 280 lbs weights on the front
Old 07-29-2014, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thank you. It is an impressive project. Good luck with it through the fall season.

I wish we had more activity and participation here the the sports field section. It has slowed down and never recovered since it was moved here from where it used t be, which I think was Pesticides, Fertilizer, Organic etc. our projects are different from what most of the guys there run in that we may start a job and be on it 2 months. Still, we're doing a lot of the same types of work. I take a lot of photos and notes about my work but I sometimes feel it is no longer worth the effort to post.