Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-02-2014, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hydro pump hose elbow leaking-Scag V-Ride

Hello, I noticed the elbow that screws into the pump hose on one end, and into the pump housing on the other end is leaking on my SVR48V-24FX Scag V-Ride. I looked on partstree at the diagram and also at my manual and there doesn't appear to be any o-ring or seal that surrounds the shaft. It is leaking in the middle of the elbow where it apears that one nut connects to another. I'm guessing there is just a crack in this piece itself and that I just need to replace this piece? Just wanted to verify and get anyone's thoughts on this. Your help is greatly appreciated. I've attached a photo with the pump hose elbow in question. As you are looking at the photo it the one that screws to the hose on the left side. Thank you, Matt
Attached Images

Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower
Toro & Ariens snowblowers

"I mow alone, with nobody else. Yes you know when I mow alone, I prefer to be by myself." Matt Thorogood

"All those in the memorial tombs will come out" -John 5:28

"The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them"- Revelation 20:13
Old 06-02-2014, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Also it does not appear to be a loose hose, as the hose itself is not where the oil comes from, but from the middle of the elbow part that connects the hose to the pump. I tried tightening the elbow and it wouldn't budge.
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower

"I mow alone, with nobody else. Yes you know when I mow alone, I prefer to be by myself." Matt Thorogood

"The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them"- Revelation 20:13
Old 06-02-2014, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=s...&dn=11_04_0013

Part number 60 on the above diagram is the source part of the leak. As I said, no gaskets or seals appear to go with it.
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower

Old 06-02-2014, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Member

That's just a compression fitting,did you try to tighten it up?Clean the area and make sure its not leaking at the crimp on the hose then re-tighten the elbow.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yes I tried to tighten it, but it was as tight as could be. Plus it's not leaking from the part that tightens, its leaking from the middle of the elbow part. If you look at it on the mower, it looks like the elbow is two different parts that screw into eachother, but that's not how it is presented on the above diagram. Thanks for the reply.
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower

Old 06-03-2014, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Look, it's NOT a compression fitting! The elbow is crimped into the hose and is either a flare type ( steel on steel) or a flat face with an O ring in the face to seal the fitting. If the O ring goes south, no amount of tightening is gonna fix it, replace the O ring and make sure the mating surfaces are flat and not nicked.
The fittings (#60) that screw into the pump also take O rings, if loose they can leak, but can also be tightened. You can match up the O rings at any good hydraulic or power trans. house.

If it is indeed leaking from the middle of the elbow ( unlikely) then ya gotta replace the hose assy.

......AMF!

Last edited by BigFish; 06-03-2014 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Look, it's NOT a compression fitting! The elbow is crimped into the hose and is either a flare type ( steel on steel) or a flat face with an O ring in the face to seal the fitting. If the O ring goes south, no amount of tightening is gonna fix it, replace the O ring and make sure the mating surfaces are flat and not nicked.
The fittings (#60) that screw into the pump also take O rings, if loose they can leak, but can also be tightened. You can match up the O rings at any good hydraulic or power trans. house.

If it is indeed leaking from the middle of the elbow ( unlikely) then ya gotta replace the hose assy.
Ok thanks. This is what I thought. Just didn't know why they didn't sell a seperate o-ring on partstree. I guess it just comes as part of the piece.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-03-2014, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Since it is a crimped part, does this mean it doesn't unscrew like normal ? You have to pull it out?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-03-2014, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
Since it is a crimped part, does this mean it doesn't unscrew like normal ? You have to pull it out?
Posted via Mobile Device
C'mon, man...pay attention! Did I not say ya gotta buy the hose ASSEMBLY?

Crimped means CRIMPED, ya ain't pulling it apart!! The hose ASSEMBLY screws onto the adapter fitting (# 60), which is screwed into the pump housing.

You seem to be in over your head, and working in such tight quarters requires a certain skillset, and TOOLS, to ensure it ain't leaking when yer done.

Also, if ya gotta replace the hose, then you hafta deal with the same set-up at the wheel motor! Lotta potential fer leaks if ya don't know what yer doin'!

......AMF!
Old 06-03-2014, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry dude. I've never dealt with this before, as you suggested. It's not leaking from the hose at all but from the adapter fitting which is sold as a seperate piece. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device