Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-14-2014, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
If I didn't need a CTL to run my sandbag attachment. I would get a mini ex w/ mower. So we could market to pond owners.
Posted via Mobile Device
I struggle with that decision. I know how valuable a ctl is and know how useful an ex is. But having a tractor already I lean towards the ex and a cheaper big tire machine
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-03-2014, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenb2920 View Post
Where in the country are you located? Are you my Competition :-0
I am in Michigan and this is one of the things I do. jk Krazy has some great ideas.
Nope not competition. I'm in PA
Old 06-03-2014, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Anyone having any luck? I've got NO hits online
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-03-2014, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

For someone wanting to look into this can you guys recommend a good "starter" set up for bush hogging?

I had to google the mini excavator with mower attachment. It looks nice and great for retention ponds. I actually had a guy ask about that the other day.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on your budget and what else you want to do with machine
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-04-2014, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Anyone having any luck? I've got NO hits online
Posted via Mobile Device
nope, not yet. Didn't put any signs out yet. Usually it's been July until people start looking but weeds and brush are getting pretty thick up here already. Might be starting a little earlier than other years or maybe I just started to notice.......guess I better order some new signs today and get them out.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Also forgot bushhogging is more cut throat than mowing yards. Guys with 1970 beat old tractors will price for less than $20 acre. For jobs less than 5 acres I shoot for $65-$125/acre depending on height of brush, thickness and if its been mowed recently(if any hazards removed) over 5acres I can come down on the price some depending on the frequency of cuts. I stick to my prices and always try to upsell other services.
Posted via Mobile Device
It's just the opposite around here... My thinking is because of being "coal" country and the mountains there isn't a lot of tractors, especially older ones. The guys around here with tractors are full time cattle farmers and they wouldn't start to bring any of their equipment out to do any extra work. Adding a compact tractor has really opened a lot of doors in a lot of different ways besides just brush hogging.

We do a decent amount of lot clearing. I've stated in other threads but we run a Kubota B2920 and have a 4' and 5' brush hog. Personally I wouldn't tackle anything over a couple of acres just due to the time involved and the fact that we deal with a lot of hilly terrain.

We can pretty much name our price as long as we aren't trying to be greedy, but $70+ per acre is nothing. For overgrown city lots or clearing off the back end of properties sometimes we can name $300 for an acre and get a smile and handshake in return. But remember clearing a hilly acre takes a LOT longer than a flat acre.

We do have a large 25 acre partial swamp that is a municipal owned property that is a once a month job that we do contract out to a guy with a 6000 series JD and 8' brush hog. He charges us a CHEAP hourly rate, not acre rate and that's only because he lives less than 1/2 mile down the road and he literally just hops in the tractor and rides it to the site.

My dream would be a mini-EX with a mulch head, that could really make some money!
Old 06-04-2014, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
For someone wanting to look into this can you guys recommend a good "starter" set up for bush hogging?

I had to google the mini excavator with mower attachment. It looks nice and great for retention ponds. I actually had a guy ask about that the other day.
Depending on the size you want... We started out a few years back with a Kubota BX and a 4' brush hog. It was a great little machine, but "little" is the key word. Traded it off for a B2920 and added a 5' brush hog. It's a niche size as the tractor can get in about anywhere and you won't spend all day with 5'.

If you want some acreage you would need to go with a 45hp+ tractor and at least a 6' brush hog.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Around here I see people push snow with back hoes, and skid steers.

I've often wondered if a tractor or a skid steer would make a profitable double duty machine, snow & brush clearing.

You guys do all your snow work with a truck?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-05-2014, 07:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF660R View Post
Around here I see people push snow with back hoes, and skid steers.

I've often wondered if a tractor or a skid steer would make a profitable double duty machine, snow & brush clearing.

You guys do all your snow work with a truck?
Posted via Mobile Device
Several strip malls around here could have either a large tractor with a 12' snow blade, an excavator, a skid steer with snow blade, whatever gets the job done sitting in the back corner of the lot. If they make an attachment for it, you can probably use it....