Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-03-2014, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Member

HRC216HXA overkill for a homeowner with .25 acre lot?

Tired of crappy generic mowers with cheesy FWD, I'm currently looking at the top of the line Honda commercial for my own yard. Is this overkill for a homeowner or would I better served with a lower end HRX217HYA? Going to bag/mulch probably 50/50.
I want something to last at least a decade or more if possible...
Old 06-03-2014, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pneumothorax View Post
Tired of crappy generic mowers with cheesy FWD, I'm currently looking at the top of the line Honda commercial for my own yard. Is this overkill for a homeowner or would I better served with a lower end HRX217HYA? Going to bag/mulch probably 50/50.
I want something to last at least a decade or more if possible...
Why not a 48 inch used walk behind?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-03-2014, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
Why not a 48 inch used walk behind?
Posted via Mobile Device
Sounds nice, but our lawn isn't exactly a nice square box. I also have to go through a gate to get to the back yard that's too small for a 48 inch mower to get through. Plus I don't have a truck so hauling that thing around for pickup/maintenance isn't going to be easy.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have met several people locally that use the hrx commercially and it satisfies their needs used several times weekly. On that note, they have only had them a couple of years. In my mind, if it last a commercial operator a couple years and are atill in operation.. it will surely last a homeowner many more years.

I am in the market for a new 21" as well. And both the hrc and hrx models are top picks. I will likely choose the hrx over hrc soley on the fact that I do not use a 21" but only a few times a week.

I have also been looking at the trucut rotory mowers. They have a honda gx motor and similar drive system of the snapper. In fact the parts may interchange. I was quoted $750~ for the top dog. The only thing it does not have is the blade break system which I would like to have but can function without it.

Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-03-2014, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Toro has a 30 inch push mower. Also exmark as a commercial version
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-04-2014, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Member

I've had the HRX217 for two seasons now. I use it on a .40 acre lot. I had the HRR prior but it bogged down on grass and leaves so I ended up with the HRX. It has served me well, no issues. It does a good job mulch grass. I have a few big oaks and they drop leaves like crazy. I will usually blow them into a pile, mulch them up and then bag the excess. I'm looking at upgrading to an SW20 WB to cut down on mowing time.

I don't see a need for the HRC model for your own yard. Save the money. I think the Toro may be another valid option, but heard the B&S was under powered for the home owner version? Not sure though or if this has been fixed.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's not underpowered. It's lighter

And just the typical people on here nitpicking specs
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-04-2014, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I know personally the 217 is a great mower and pretty rugged too... Honda makes great stuff.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Friend of mine recently bought one, has small fescue yard that he keeps meticulous and mows every four days. So far, he's really pleased with it.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got an HRX217HXA, and around .21 acre. Bought it in 2007. Just had to clean out the carb this year.
Changed the oil each year, and sharpen the blade. Replaced the air filter twice. Just changed a wheel bearing.
Done nothing else but abuse the crap out of the machine by mulching knee high grass. Could not be happier with it.

The HRX has a belt that drives the drive transmission (if you do get an HRX, get the one with the hydrostatic transmission). The HRC has a shaft drive. I do not think as a homeowner you will be able to damage the belt. In commercial use, it is a known weak point.

I for one like the plastic deck of the HRX (and the Harmony I had years ago). It doesn't rust, and cleans easy.