Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-03-2014, 06:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
Since these are friends of yours I wonder if you swim in that pool often?
Posted via Mobile Device
In our birthday suits!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-03-2014, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
In our birthday suits!
Posted via Mobile Device
Now if I were a guy that liked to swim nekkid in the neighbors pool, (which you seem to) I'd know for sure why everyone at that wingding got shocked or at least what they were smoking.
After all, nobody here wants to see the "WORLDS GREATEST HARDSCAPER get his hootenanny electrocuted. Well, some.......

You should prolly explain how you would perform the "grounding the pavers" procedure in order to fill your obligation as the all knowing, all seeing, Amazing Andrew!!!

"And speaking of pools - make sure you're grounding the pavers. I have friends that were at a pool party and something happened where everyone on the pool patio and in the water got a jolt of electricity."
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-03-2014, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The pool and all hand rails are tied to a ground rod at the equipment for bonding. But bonding the deck.....never done or been asked to do that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-03-2014, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
The pool and all hand rails are tied to a ground rod at the equipment for bonding. But bonding the deck.....never done or been asked to do that.
Posted via Mobile Device
All equipment and lighting are bonded to the rebar junior, if the deck has steel in it then a copper bonding wire is connected at each corner of the pool and bonds the rebar of the pool to the rebar in the deck.
Mostt of the builders that I know and/or work with forego the equipotential bonding for the decks by using fiber mesh in the decks instead of rebar.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-03-2014, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hopefully The One They Call Hardscape will explain how to ground many pieces of concrete already laying on the ground
Old 06-04-2014, 06:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
All equipment and lighting are bonded to the rebar junior, if the deck has steel in it then a copper bonding wire is connected at each corner of the pool and bonds the rebar of the pool to the rebar in the deck.
Mostt of the builders that I know and/or work with forego the equipotential bonding for the decks by using fiber mesh in the decks instead of rebar.
Posted via Mobile Device
That would be difference then...we don't put rebar in the deck.
How do you ground a paver deck then?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-04-2014, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Jim it was on the news. It just happened a couple time in dvs and I's area. They said it was from faulty underwater lights.

One kid died in Florida from it

They were actually in the pool.. Never heard of anyone getting shocked standing on pavers though lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-04-2014, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Jim it was on the news. It just happened a couple time in dvs and I's area. They said it was from faulty underwater lights.

One kid died in Florida from it

They were actually in the pool.. Never heard of anyone getting shocked standing on pavers though lol
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm very much aware of the recent incidents, tragic to say the least. My heart goes out to those involved.

There's a difference in grounding and bonding though. Mike Holt does a great job explaining the difference in his videos on transient voltage, pools and pumps. Google Mike Holt for more information.

The above pool has 7 low voltage lights, each rest in niches which are independently bonded to the rebar cage. The grounding/bonding lug extends through the wall of the niche and a bonding wire is pulled along with the light cord to the equipment pad where all bonds and grounds are terminated by the electrician.

The incident described by Andrew is not impossible but is highly improbable. Since Andrew was merely repeating a conversation he had with some of his skinny dippin buddies, his comment, though well intended is lacking facts.

I'm not going to say that these pavers for the decks cannot be bonded to the pool, I'm actually asking him to explain how this may be accomplished since he brought this to the forums attention and he has extensive swimming pool experience according to previous threads he's posted in.

If nothing else, I'm all for safety and education.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-08-2014, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Member

What kind of current can the chemistry in the pool carry?

The statement of pool killer came from a paver pool deck that was set on slag and has dirty joints that retain moisture and move heavily during freeze thaw cycles. The coping pops but I believe the concrete surround the pool guy is suggesting will move just as much. The subgrade is clay and is poorly drained. I doubt there is geotech under the base. Has anyone done a permeable surround?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-08-2014, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkr02 View Post
What kind of current can the chemistry in the pool carry?

The statement of pool killer came from a paver pool deck that was set on slag and has dirty joints that retain moisture and move heavily during freeze thaw cycles. The coping pops but I believe the concrete surround the pool guy is suggesting will move just as much. The subgrade is clay and is poorly drained. I doubt there is geotech under the base. Has anyone done a permeable surround?
Posted via Mobile Device
Sounds like the main drawback is the winter heaving more so than the paver vs concrete issue.

Joints being "dirty" have very little to do with heaving as the ground will heave no matter what. It's just seems that pavers heave worst than concrete, when in all reality they probably don't. It's just that it's more noticeable.

Geotextile fabric will not prevent heaving either.

It's my opinion that you're taking an assumed risk with gunite / concrete pools that are in regions with winter weather regardless if the decking is pavers or concrete. Gunite pools cost a lot of money - but they also have a mountain of draw backs, winter being the main drawback. Along with floating from heavy rains / high water tables.
Posted via Mobile Device