Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-03-2014, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen the light! I will never use an edger again!

I was always so pro edger, but I must say I'm a darn kick ass dude edging with a trimmer. Using an 8 pound 22T Shindaiwa I'm UNSTOPPABLE! You do NOT want to be in a edging contest with me!
So long edgers! My trimmer racks don't need you!!
Honda 21 HR 215
Honda 21 HRC 216 (2)
Stihl Kombi 90 w/ Attatchments
Stihl Kombi 110
Shindaiwa 242 (with hedge attachment)
Shindaiwa 22T Trimmer (3)
Echo 225 Edger
Stihl BR400 Blower (2)
Stihl BR600 Blower
Red Max 2600 Blower
Stihl HS 46CE Hedge Trimmer
Honda Pressure Washer
Honda FG110 Tiller
Echo Chainsaw
Earthway 2150 Spreader
etc.......
Old 06-03-2014, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im in the same boat as you. I have both a stick edger and wslkbehind one and can do s better job with some 105 or 130 string in my 265t trimmers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-03-2014, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've always had trouble scalping the grass when I try edging with the trimmer, especially if I try doing it with any sort of speed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-03-2014, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland View Post
I was always so pro edger, but I must say I'm a darn kick ass dude edging with a trimmer. Using an 8 pound 22T Shindaiwa I'm UNSTOPPABLE! You do NOT want to be in a edging contest with me!
So long edgers! My trimmer racks don't need you!!

Unless your talking about just maintaining edges, the trimmer is the go to edger for me. But when it comes time for a new customer and a new edge that needs a groove, the trimmer is not my go to weapon. On a lawn that's constantly maintained by me the trimmer is my handy dandy machine.

For all your Mower Parts, Support a Small Family Man Business. Google ZERO TURN MAN.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Tell me a little more about this 8 pound 22T Shindaiwa, I may be on the market for one soon.

For all your Mower Parts, Support a Small Family Man Business. Google ZERO TURN MAN.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My hands aren't that steady. I tried to edge with a trimmer one time, couldn't keep it straight. I'll just stick to the tool designed specifically for the job.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-03-2014, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
Tell me a little more about this 8 pound 22T Shindaiwa, I may be on the market for one soon.
not sure they still make them. I bought three a while back. I took off the metal tank guards and put a bit of athletic tape on the grip. If there ever was a one handed comfortable trimmer this is it!
Honda 21 HR 215
Honda 21 HRC 216 (2)
Stihl Kombi 90 w/ Attatchments
Stihl Kombi 110
Shindaiwa 242 (with hedge attachment)
Shindaiwa 22T Trimmer (3)
Echo 225 Edger
Stihl BR400 Blower (2)
Stihl BR600 Blower
Red Max 2600 Blower
Stihl HS 46CE Hedge Trimmer
Honda Pressure Washer
Honda FG110 Tiller
Echo Chainsaw
Earthway 2150 Spreader
etc.......
Old 06-04-2014, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Yeah, I'd like to know more myself. If it is obsolete, I would like to know the closest replacement available today.

I am very impressed with those who can edge with a trimmer, any trimmer, and leave a job that looks like it was done with an edger. I've seen it done, but I'm so impressed because I've never been able to master the skill myself.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
They are awesome, had three for the past 8 years.
They don't make them anymore. I just bought 2 of the replacement models T235 slightly heavier but even better balanced than the 22T didn't think that was possible.....I also have Stihl trimmer and they don't compare.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-04-2014, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBDiagMan View Post
Yeah, I'd like to know more myself. If it is obsolete, I would like to know the closest replacement available today.

I am very impressed with those who can edge with a trimmer, any trimmer, and leave a job that looks like it was done with an edger. I've seen it done, but I'm so impressed because I've never been able to master the skill myself.

There's not many secrets to it, the secret is "practice, practice, practice." I started on my own lawn before I picked up the skill. I watched some other guy do it the opposite way as me and I've tried his way and found out I can leave a much cleaner edge, just have to be more careful. I always edged from the sidewalk, but started edging from the grass side going right to left. It seems it leaves a much cleaner edge, you just have to make sure you keep the line going down the groove of the sidewalk instead of trying to edge the grass. Another common mistake is letting that line go to deep. Just a bit of the line needs to make contact.

As for the light weight timmer, I made a post about one. I'm looking into the Husky 223L right now. They are only $250.00, have SOLID reviews from owners, and only weight 9 lbs.