Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-05-2014, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Big power washing job, need help!

Hey everyone, I have a huge job to bid on and I don't do a lot of power washing, but would like to integrate it more into my business. I don't have exact measurements, but I would say the job is about 15k-20k of stamped and stained concrete. The last time it was sealed was 2-3 years ago. The owner wants me to power wash, then seal it. I'm concerned because I have Never sealed a driveway before. I also don't want to take any of the stain off when I power wash it.

My plan is to rent a larger power washer, with a surface cleaner for the driveway and use my current one for the retaining wall. My buddy will be using one and I'll be using the other. I figure we will finish the powerwashing in 1 day and seal a day or two later. How does this sound?

My questions are how careful do I need to be on the driveway? Hot or cold power washer? What sealer do I need to use? Apply sealer with brushes or backpack sprayers? How long will it take to seal that much for two first timers?

I'm doing the job no matter what but I want to do it perfectly because my aunt pays his bills and she told me if people do a good job for him, he will never use anyone else.

Please give me whatever tips you can, I know how to powerwash regular driveways but I have never done a job of this much importance.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrant711 View Post
Hey everyone, I have a huge job to bid on and I don't do a lot of power washing, but would like to integrate it more into my business. I don't have exact measurements, but I would say the job is about 15k-20k of stamped and stained concrete. The last time it was sealed was 2-3 years ago. The owner wants me to power wash, then seal it. I'm concerned because I have Never sealed a driveway before. I also don't want to take any of the stain off when I power wash it.

My plan is to rent a larger power washer, with a surface cleaner for the driveway and use my current one for the retaining wall. My buddy will be using one and I'll be using the other. I figure we will finish the powerwashing in 1 day and seal a day or two later. How does this sound?

My questions are how careful do I need to be on the driveway? Hot or cold power washer? What sealer do I need to use? Apply sealer with brushes or backpack sprayers? How long will it take to seal that much for two first timers?

I'm doing the job no matter what but I want to do it perfectly because my aunt pays his bills and she told me if people do a good job for him, he will never use anyone else.

Please give me whatever tips you can, I know how to powerwash regular driveways but I have never done a job of this much importance.
Ask this over on propowerwash
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-05-2014, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Ask this over on propowerwash
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-05-2014, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

They'll help you. If no one does look for Ron Musgraves hell know who to ask. Great group of people
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2014, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

How old is the concrete? What condition is it in? What kind of sealer is on it? Does the sealer need to be stripped before being resealed? What kind of stain is under the sealer? Those are just a few questions that come to mind. The stain should be fine, but if you have to strip it, then you'll need to make sure the stripper you use won't damage the stain.

If it was sealed 2-3 years ago, why does it need to be resealed? If the sealer is inferior and you have to strip it, you have an opportunity to become your customers' newest hero.

Personally, I like warm (90 to 120 degree) water to wash flatwork and always use a surface cleaner.

I would gather info from as many PW sites as you can, but DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH as far as materials go, because if the .... hits the fan, you're the only one it's going get on.

Will your liability insurance cover pressure washing? If not, it would be worth while to look into it. Maybe you can get a rider on your lawn/landscaping liability policy to cover it?

Good luck with the job!
Old 06-10-2014, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican Exterior Cleaning View Post
How old is the concrete? What condition is it in? What kind of sealer is on it? Does the sealer need to be stripped before being resealed? What kind of stain is under the sealer? Those are just a few questions that come to mind. The stain should be fine, but if you have to strip it, then you'll need to make sure the stripper you use won't damage the stain.

If it was sealed 2-3 years ago, why does it need to be resealed? If the sealer is inferior and you have to strip it, you have an opportunity to become your customers' newest hero.

Personally, I like warm (90 to 120 degree) water to wash flatwork and always use a surface cleaner.

I would gather info from as many PW sites as you can, but DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH as far as materials go, because if the .... hits the fan, you're the only one it's going get on.

Will your liability insurance cover pressure washing? If not, it would be worth while to look into it. Maybe you can get a rider on your lawn/landscaping liability policy to cover it?

Good luck with the job!
Thanks for the reply. The owner likes to have it resses led every 2-3 years no matter what. It definitely needs to be washed, but it's not chipping anywhere. What kind of stripper would I need to use. I was just going to use a degreaser on the drive way and outdoor bleach or simple green on the retaining wall. I'm not sure if it's a solvent or latex base sealer, but I'm guessing it's a latex base.

I figured the pressure alone would take care of the sealer, but I'll check into that some more.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2014, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrant711 View Post
Thanks for the reply. The owner likes to have it resses led every 2-3 years no matter what. It definitely needs to be washed, but it's not chipping anywhere. What kind of stripper would I need to use. I was just going to use a degreaser on the drive way and outdoor bleach or simple green on the retaining wall. I'm not sure if it's a solvent or latex base sealer, but I'm guessing it's a latex base.

I figured the pressure alone would take care of the sealer, but I'll check into that some more.
Posted via Mobile Device
You didn't ask did you?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2014, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Member

The kind of stripper you'd need would depend on what kind of sealer is on it. Odds are, it's not a hard sealer if it needs to be resealed every 2-3 years. I'd ask my customer if he knows what's on it and if it's been stripped before. If he don't know, do a google search on "concrete sealer stripper" or "concrete forums"and go from there. Here's a link I had in my favorites folder: http://www.concretenetwork.com/remove-concrete-sealer/ .

Good luck!
Old 06-10-2014, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
You didn't ask did you?
Posted via Mobile Device
No I signed up and it took 3 days before I could post anything and I just haven't gotten back to it yet. I'll post it later. I found out the majority of what I needed to know from a sherwin Williams store. All I'm doing is the power washing and I just need to know if I need to strip the current sealer. I kind of figure if I power wash and the sealer comes off too, he can reseal like he wants too, but if I power wash and the sealer looks good. Then I just saved him 8 grand or so on resealling.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2014, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican Exterior Cleaning View Post
The kind of stripper you'd need would depend on what kind of sealer is on it. Odds are, it's not a hard sealer if it needs to be resealed every 2-3 years. I'd ask my customer if he knows what's on it and if it's been stripped before. If he don't know, do a google search on "concrete sealer stripper" or "concrete forums"and go from there. Here's a link I had in my favorites folder: http://www.concretenetwork.com/remove-concrete-sealer/ .

Good luck!
Thanks I checked some stuff out already and went and bought some sealer to test on my driveway, I'm going to pressure wash it and see what happens. I'd like to start doing this in the winter for all my mowing customers, so I need to start learning everything now.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
charge , stain , stamped , surface , wash