Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-04-2014, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The mowing crews are well-known for squashing heads down, which is why a 6" w/swing joints last longer before your crew has to come in and raise them.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Heads being pushed around by really heavy mowers should have some sort of bracing. Easy enough to manufacture, in the form of a slip-on flange, and credit lowly Toro for putting them in their catalog.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Heads being pushed around by really heavy mowers should have some sort of bracing. Easy enough to manufacture, in the form of a slip-on flange, and credit lowly Toro for putting them in their catalog.
Could you post a link to this "flange"? In Florida sand I'm curious if it could hold or not.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hunter rotors just haven't been doing it for me the past few years..

3 years and evident failure on high pressure systems... No I can't let it go.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekay1622 View Post
Down in this hole is a Hunter PGP. Any thoughts on why it sank? I'm guessing trench settled due to lack of compaction and the turf thatched up as well.

Any solutions to get this raised up with minimal impact to the turf and long term clearance above the turf cut height?

Would an I-20 or RB 5000 series be less likely to sink?

I can see why a 6" rotor can be a very good investment.

Thanks.
I have seen heads on systems that weren't maintained well that we're that low. But I think it is from the turf rising. All the systems here are pulled in so there is no settling.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

one thing i've noticed about PGP's is that the seal is inevitably GOING to leak, and it's usually only a matter of 1 year or 2. We merged with another company in town and they use I-20's exclusively. Here's why:

1. Upgraded seal (i rarely see any that leak)
2. Pop up 1" higher than a PGP (1" saves a lot of head raising)
3. Slip Clutch (true 360 degree continuous turn radius)
4. Able to shut the water off (we like this because you can flush the head before you put in the nozzle, also great to see if the head or fittings are leaking around it and adjustments)
5. Stronger spring (don't stay up after watering)
6. Check valve (great for the bottom heads on a slope)

That's all i can think of right now. The only reason i wouldn't use an I-20 is if the system had very poor pressure. The springs are so strong they sometimes will not pop up with poor pressure. I used to only use PGP's, but now i'm a believer in the I-20. Fair warning, i do not have much experience with RB's.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

can someone confirm that the i20 is in fact 1 inch taller than a PGP? i've never actually measured the two side by side
Old 06-04-2014, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell36 View Post
can someone confirm that the i20 is in fact 1 inch taller than a PGP? i've never actually measured the two side by side
They don't pop-up any higher. They are both a 4" pop with a 7 1/8" body. They are the same so that you can swap the insides into each other for ease of replacement. You can purchase the I-20 in a 6" pop-up.

We install PGP-Ultras in all installs except for sports fields, then we use 6" I-25's. I never have problems with leaking. They can be adjusted to 360* just like the I-20. They are non-stripable, and have a 5yr warranty too. They can even be ordered with a check valve if needed. The ability to shut off the head is a feature that's not worth the extra price to me.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by enorl76 View Post
Could you post a link to this "flange"? In Florida sand I'm curious if it could hold or not.
No more flange from Toro, and even if there was, it was only a fit for the original rotor bodies, like in the S600 and S700, and the 300 Stream Rotor. Too small for the T5 and other current models.

No wonder that Florida sand could call for bracing heads. The Safe-T-Lawn company in Miami thought up the flange idea. Theirs were large enough to be awkward to work with, in the days before modern swing joints, but they could take over a ton of force without any head movements.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Can't go wrong with 5000's.