Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-04-2014, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm considering going this weekend and getting one myself. When it's wet you can forget about a 500+ pound mower. Not that it can't cut good in them conditions...but it's just not ideal. My little Honda can mow in the pouring rain and still pack the bag so tight it actually start lifting the front up!

I know Honda really mastered the "doubles" concept now they need to master the 30" HRX!

Until then I think I might go pick me up a timemaster next weekend. Been having to hire help to keep up and watching them cut with a 21" mower is like watching the grass grow
Old 06-04-2014, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Oaknut, how well does your Ferris do in wet mowing conditions? Do the timed blades help with keeping the underside clean?

Do you have a full-scale mulching kit on your Timemaster? Or, just discharge chute blocked?

I have done so much mowing in wet conditions this Spring, my mower should qualifly for water-duty. In another month, when the dust if flying, I will be asking myself to recall those days of wads of green stuff.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Oaknut, how well does your Ferris do in wet mowing conditions? Do the timed blades help with keeping the underside clean?

Do you have a full-scale mulching kit on your Timemaster? Or, just discharge chute blocked?

I have done so much mowing in wet conditions this Spring, my mower should qualifly for water-duty. In another month, when the dust if flying, I will be asking myself to recall those days of wads of green stuff.
The Ferris sucks in anything but ideal conditions. Well, if the lawn isn't a "nice" one, you can get away with it, but if I were to try mulching a nice, thick, WET lawn - forget it. I mean the cut is fine, but when you slow down to turn around at the end of a run, it's gonna puke out a ton of "mush" which is bad, bad, bad.

The underside builds up like any other mower when wet. (well, like any other mower I've used)
EDIT: Actually, it depends on the lawn. Sometimes I get a lot of buildup and sometimes I don't. (I've only been at this for a few years now, so I'm not exactly an expert at any of this. )
It's set up as mulch only. Ferris mulch kit installed and standard factory blades.

The TimeMaster is mulching using just the mulching plug in place.
Another member thinks that after seeing my pics that mine has TurfMaster blades. (He claims newer TimeMasters ship with them instead of the original TimeMaster blades. True or not, I do not know)

Really - I've been floored with how well the thing cuts and performs. If it holds up mechanically, I don't think I could be any happier.

I'm not just saying this to exaggerate, or "justify" the purchase - I really, really like this mower. There are things I don't like, but they are minor. It's not a replacement for a walk behind by any means, and there are some places it's not well suited for, but in the last two weeks it's saved my arse on multiple occasions where I'd have been stuck using the 21" SR4 because the grass was too high, or too wet to mow with the Ferris.

If you haven't seen it, here's my ongoing thread on the TimeMaster.
I still have a lot of photos to add...
Old 06-04-2014, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I actually took a picture. Steady downpour this lawn was soaking wet. Not the ideal lawn either - FULL of weeds! Yes I am mulching this lawn in the rain.

I don't like to use the walk behind when it's soaking wet like this - it sprays clippings everywhere and the deck is a hassle to clean.
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2014, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsLocalLawn View Post
I actually took a picture. Steady downpour this lawn was soaking wet. Not the ideal lawn either - FULL of weeds! Yes I am mulching this lawn in the rain.

I don't like to use the walk behind when it's soaking wet like this - it sprays clippings everywhere and the deck is a hassle to clean.
That's one of the best parts of the TimeMaster. I'm cutting nearly the same width as with my 36", but if it starts getting buildup (and you can hear when it's got too much), I can tip that bastage on it's side JUST like a 21" push mower and quickly swipe off the wet grass. I keep a burlap tarp handy for that purpose. I usually only clear the deck halfway through a wet job and again at the end so it's ready for the next lawn.

If I needed to clean the deck on my walk behind that often, I'd jump off a cliff.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hey Bumpmeister, were you out until 9pm tonight by any chance?

I could swear I saw an older Dodge rolling down the hill with a trailer full of mowers while I was eating dinner tonight.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Western PA Landscapers. Pittsburgh North

WHEELER LAWN SERVICE. Been in business since 2003. Service Hampton, Shaler, Ross, Etna, Indiana, Franklin Park, McCandless, Richland, Pine townships.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
Hey Bumpmeister, were you out until 9pm tonight by any chance?

I could swear I saw an older Dodge rolling down the hill with a trailer full of mowers while I was eating dinner tonight.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Member

I will be moving to the Altoona area in the next month. I had a small lawn business down near Austin Tx and have not been doing lawns for two years now. After we get settled I am wanting to start mowing again, I actually miss it! Is anyone familiar with the Altoona area? Is this a good place for a lawn service? ANY advice or feedback would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
P.S. Any info on this area would be nice, I have never been there. I do have family in the Washington area south of Pitt.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmos123 View Post
I will be moving to the Altoona area in the next month. I had a small lawn business down near Austin Tx and have not been doing lawns for two years now. After we get settled I am wanting to start mowing again, I actually miss it! Is anyone familiar with the Altoona area? Is this a good place for a lawn service? ANY advice or feedback would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
P.S. Any info on this area would be nice, I have never been there. I do have family in the Washington area south of Pitt.
You talkin about Penn Hills N'at?

Tags
n'at!