Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-04-2014, 06:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

squeaky stander X deck

Lately my deck has been squeaking pretty bad when mowing or raising/lifting the deck. I keep the grease zerks maintained, but it seems to be coming from some point on the rear of the deck. shot some silicone spray on every moving point i could find yesterday just to see if i could narrow it down and it was still squeaking. any insight on where it is most likely squeaking or what i should use to fix it? Almost hate to go slopping grease on areas without zerks just because it'll attract dirt
Old 06-04-2014, 07:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Raise the the deck a little over mid height get a couple ft long 2x4 and a small end cut of 2x4 use it as a pivot to lift the deck and work around deck till you can locate where the noise is coming from.

Best I could say to do to pinpoint it before you get grease happy.

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 06-04-2014, 08:06 AM
Sponsor

kawakx125,

Coming from the rear of the deck, check both ends of each deck control arm. Does it sound like a metal on metal squeak or rubber on metal?

Best Regards,
Wright Mfg.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i would lean toward rubber on metal sound, could be a combination of both though
Old 06-04-2014, 10:34 AM
Sponsor

kawakx125,

Rubber on metal likely the bushings on the deck control arm end that attaches to the tractor frame, metal on metal check the opposite end that connects the arm to the cutter deck.

Best Regards,
Wright Mfg.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

do I need to replace the bushings or grease them?
Old 06-04-2014, 02:15 PM
Sponsor

kawakx125,

If there is no increased movement of the deck (side to side) then you could lube the bushings, due to there exposure to dirt and debris a dry lube would be best. Easiest way to test the movement is just push on the deck with your foot, normal would be 1/4" or so if you have inches of movement they need to be replaced.

Best Regards,
Wright Mfg.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am near positive its the bushings, since i sprayed some silicone on them the sound has changed and the deck has become much easier to lift. I dont think theres an extreme amount of movement. i'll pull them off and lube them with some graphite and see how that goes.

did you see my post about the gas tank on the 36''? got the new parts and installed, filled it up late yesterday and didn't see any leaks. However when i pulled old gauge out the tank hole was not round, its egg shaped. I snapped a pic and easiest way would be to email it to you since its on my phone if you want to pm me a direct email. long as it stays leak free i'm happy, most of the time it would leak when temps went up though
Old 06-05-2014, 08:26 AM
Sponsor

kawakx125,

As the bushings wear the deck will have more side to side movement which can cause air flow issues, keep an eye on the movement to gauge replacement time. If the fuel tank leaks at that grommet again the hole shape could likely be the culprit and we would replace the fuel tank.

Best Regards,
Wright Mfg.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

is there adjustments on the balljoints for the control arms on the underside of deck? if so would adjusting these potentially give me more adjustment on the chain adjusters for the rear of deck? i don't have any more adjustment upwards on them to maintain the correct pitch since my tires are halfway worn and i run them at a lower psi. If i could gain another 1/4'' adjustment there i'd be set till i need a new set of tires