Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-05-2014, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

some people don't realize that it's hardly ever perfect mowing conditions. you can't do every yard between 2-6pm in the afternoon on a day it doesn't rain. it's just not possible.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
When I read all the "I don't cut when it rains" threads, I always wonder how anyone gets anything done. I'm sure it's different elsewhere, but if I waited for the dew to dry, I'd be leaving the house at noon. There's dew on most mornings - it's not any different than if it had just rained.

Whoever started the myth that you can't cut wet grass had the luxury of waiting for it to dry.

I wish I'd get lucky enough to just mow "dew." I had to get on to two customers this week. Two weeks in a row, I showed up to mow to a wet lawn, sprinklers went off the same morning as I'm suppose to mow. I went ahead and mowed the first time with a warning, the second time I showed up and the same thing, sprinklers haven't been re-programmed. I spent fuel to get to the property, so I went ahead and mowed. On a side note, I'm tired of the WET grass. I'd be happy to mow a little dew.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

In the fall we have days that the dew doesn't evaporate until early afternoon.

We start at 7.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 06-06-2014, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i'd rather mow until dark than mow in heavy dew or wet grass. i try to avoid it if at all possible. i don't start mowing until 10am on my first yard. sometimes there is a little dew left but most times it's dried up for the most part by then.

yesterday i worked 10-6. that is ok with me. i hate getting up early anyways.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Light rain is okay. Heavy or steady enough to soften the ground, no way. I tell customers I would rather you be a little upset over long grass. Ruts are forever. Also being a runner variety St Augustine is easy to rip from the ground. Lightning capital of the world also weigh in on the decision to work or not. We had a GC get zapped recently.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah most of my ground here is hard packed there are very few customers yards that get to the point of mush for rutting, I absolutely will not cut if ruts are a chance.

As for clumping since deck is now pitched right it is very rare, there will be build up in the deck to fall out just run back and hit again to spread it out. Since deck pitch is right my HighLift air foil blades are not the best I have 18 blades 3sets from last year and 3 sets I bought at beginning of this year, I need to swap or sell them and get full highlifts now they will leave absolutely no clumps at all, used a old set in a 2" downpour the other day yard looked amazing.

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
05' Gravely 148z 1700+ hours 21 hp Kawi
Echo Trimmers
5x10 (upgrading winter)

Alabama Group
http://www.lawnsite.com/group.php?groupid=108
John Deere Group
http://www.lawnsite.com/group.php?groupid=109

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 1860)
Old 06-06-2014, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
i'd rather mow until dark than mow in heavy dew or wet grass. i try to avoid it if at all possible. i don't start mowing until 10am on my first yard. sometimes there is a little dew left but most times it's dried up for the most part by then.

I wouldn't, kinda like spending time with the family.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 06-06-2014, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post

Dang Weeze I am up at 5am every morning getting stuff ready to go and get done as quick as I can usually on first cut by 7am unless it is commercial then if it's dry about this time of year I'll be mowing earlier.

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
05' Gravely 148z 1700+ hours 21 hp Kawi
Echo Trimmers
5x10 (upgrading winter)

Alabama Group
http://www.lawnsite.com/group.php?groupid=108
John Deere Group
http://www.lawnsite.com/group.php?groupid=109

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 1860)
Old 06-06-2014, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

No, fact is they can't predict weather with much of any kind of accuracy past 2-3 days out so the weather forecasters always take the 3rd day forecast and simply extend it out to where it looks like the same weather every day for a whole week, that's standard procedure.

It looks like this:

MONDAY
Jun 09 Chance of T-Storm Chance Of T-Storm Hi:85F
Lo:69F
DAY: Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the mid 80s. Lows in the upper 60s. Chance of rain 40 percent.

TUESDAY
Jun 10 Chance of T-Storm Chance Of T-Storm Hi:85F
DAY: Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the mid 80s. Lows in the upper 60s. Chance of rain 40 percent.

WEDNESDAY
Jun 11 Chance of T-Storm Chance Of T-Storm Hi:85F

THURSDAY
Jun 12 Chance of T-Storm Chance Of T-Storm Hi:89F
DAY: Partly cloudy with a chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the upper 60s. Highs in the upper 80s. Chance of rain 40 percent.

FRIDAY
Jun 13 Chance of T-Storm Chance Of T-Storm Hi:89F
DAY: Partly cloudy with a chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the upper 60s. Highs in the upper 80s. Chance of rain 40 percent.

SATURDAY
Jun 14 Chance of T-Storm Chance Of T-Storm Hi:89F

Doesn't mean the weather's actually going to do that.
And I'll just pretend you didn't know this.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
No, fact is they can't predict weather with much of any kind of accuracy past 2-3 days out so the weather forecasters always take the 3rd day forecast and simply extend it out to where it looks like the same weather every day for a whole week, that's standard procedure.

It looks like this:

MONDAY
Jun 09 Chance of T-Storm Chance Of T-Storm Hi:85F

TUESDAY
Jun 10 Chance of T-Storm Chance Of T-Storm Hi:85F

WEDNESDAY
Jun 11 Chance of T-Storm Chance Of T-Storm Hi:85F

THURSDAY
Jun 12 Chance of T-Storm Chance Of T-Storm Hi:89F

FRIDAY
Jun 13 Chance of T-Storm Chance Of T-Storm Hi:89F

SATURDAY
Jun 14 Chance of T-Storm Chance Of T-Storm Hi:89F

Doesn't mean the weather's actually going to do that.
And I'll just pretend you didn't know this.
Gee, thanks Herler for taking all the time to explain meteorology to me. I'm not sure what that has to do with the subject of this post anyway, since it did start raining just as we finished up the gentleman's lawn. It didn't rain as much as I thought it might, with the main storm going just south of here, so we were able to go back out late yesterday afternoon and do the remaining two properties on yesterday's schedule.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOturkey View Post
Gee, thanks Herler for taking all the time to explain meteorology to me. I'm not sure what that has to do with the subject of this post anyway, since it did start raining just as we finished up the gentleman's lawn.
Your first words:

Quote:
Our weather forecast calls for rain every day for the foreseeable future, with total accumulations of as much as 9 inches total in some areas during the next 7 days.
I didn't realize you were going to shift gears next paragraph down, next time get to the point and don't beat around the bush.
Then, learn how to read a forecast so you can schedule appropriately since it is most likely NOT going to rain for the next 7 days straight.

Quote:
It didn't rain as much as I thought it might, with the main storm going just south of here, so we were able to go back out late yesterday afternoon and do the remaining two properties on yesterday's schedule.
Exactly!

Last edited by herler; 06-07-2014 at 10:42 AM.