Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-06-2014, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilehead View Post
For the record, I am now NUMBER 1 in both organic search and Google Places when searching "lawn care in Stockbridge GA". Just saying.
Posted via Mobile Device
This really isn't the metric you want to hold up as the trophy. The vast majority of the people do think it's the best, but those who know this inside out recognize that it's a vanity metric. A keyword #1 is waaaaay over-inflated. It's nice. It's shiny. It gets people to your door. It's the conversion that is what matters most.

I'm extremely pleased with the #1's I have, but I put just as much effort into engaging and converting the traffic those keywords bring. Your site has a good rank. At this moment, it just doesn't have what it takes to engage and convert. You might tell me otherwise, with other supporting detail, but I can only go with what my eyes and experience tell me.

Also, as an addendum to the search ranks that Headz and I see, the results I posted are the same whether I set my search as United States, Chicago (where I am now), Atlanta, or Stockbridge. Same goes for switching my IP address to Atlanta.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
This really isn't the metric you want to hold up as the trophy. The vast majority of the people do think it's the best, but those who know this inside out recognize that it's a vanity metric. A keyword #1 is waaaaay over-inflated. It's nice. It's shiny. It gets people to your door. It's the conversion that is what matters most.

I'm extremely pleased with the #1's I have, but I put just as much effort into engaging and converting the traffic those keywords bring. Your site has a good rank. At this moment, it just doesn't have what it takes to engage and convert. You might tell me otherwise, with other supporting detail, but I can only go with what my eyes and experience tell me.

Also, as an addendum to the search ranks that Headz and I see, the results I posted are the same whether I set my search as United States, Chicago (where I am now), Atlanta, or Stockbridge. Same goes for switching my IP address to Atlanta.
I guess I still don't get what you mean.....like where the problem is with converting prospects to sales. The site has ultra-simple navigation. We quickly nail what we do, why one should choose us, a call to action (free quote), and where we serve. If it's merely a matter of flow, erasing the line divisions won't help, but I also don't want a page for every header/body that is "blocked together". I was also reading that having multiple h1 tags per page won't effect a page negatively as long as the hierarchy of h-tags is correct. Also, I don't have to scroll horizontally on my flatscreen......ultra high def 23".
Please advise.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --Leonardo da Vinci

http://integritylawnpro.com
Old 06-07-2014, 02:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

As someone who is always checking laptop specs in looking for deals on something new, I find that most "consumer grade" laptops (ie what most "regular folks get") are usually at a resolution of 1366x768, heck even if you go with one with a larger physical screen, you are at 1600x900 (which is what mine is at), and even at that resolution, I still get a horizontal scroll bar.

In the web world, inches don't mean much in screen size. I have a 19" monitor that has lower resolution that my 17" laptop, and a I am looking at 15" laptop that has higher resolution (1920x1080) that both of them.

Now if you are checking your analytics stats, and seeing that an overwhelming majority of your traffic (80%+) are at 1400 width or higher, than no big deal, but if you don't know, you should be checking it out. While i don't have high traffic sites, I can say that most of my sites about 50% traffic comes from mobile devices now.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Also, I don't have to scroll horizontally on my flatscreen......ultra high def 23".
Please advise.
You should try it on other displays/devices/screen resolutions. You are not seeing what the large majority of your target market is seeing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2014, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I guess I still don't get what you mean.....like where the problem is with converting prospects to sales. The site has ultra-simple navigation. We quickly nail what we do, why one should choose us, a call to action (free quote), and where we serve. .
What's your bounce rate? How deep do visitors go in your site?
Old 06-10-2014, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's too early to tell. The last version of the site was a single-page site, so every view was considered a bounce. I was getting calls daily and as summer approaches, the call volume has slowed a bit.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --Leonardo da Vinci

http://integritylawnpro.com