Old 06-07-2014, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
they won't pay huh?

you sure?

fuel keeps going up.

People are still paying for it.

What are they going to do… NOT get the grass cut?

EVERY thing will go up.

say good buy to $5 cheeseburgers….

Can you image what $15/min wage will do to mcdonalds and walmart?

I think that might actually hurt walmart more than anyone else.
They actually cancelled 4 walmarts being built around dc until they got the mayor to veto or bypass it.

Walmart is greedy as hell. They're a giant that will never fall now. I was just reading about how they avoid paying tax and everything.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-07-2014, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Every person should be paid a living wage, we all need to have the basics in life. If it was you what would you do the job for?
Old 06-07-2014, 04:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuttled View Post
Every person should be paid a living wage, we all need to have the basics in life. If it was you what would you do the job for?

I agree.

That's why I am always arguing on here with guys who say they "can't afford" to pay guys more than 9-11/hr. and why can't they find and good employees?

No one can "afford" to work for people like that, expect people that live in cardboard boxes and drive $300 cars to work.

"Damit my guy didn't make it in to work today! his car broke down again! he always uses that excuse"!

Uhhh thats because you pay him $9 and he drives a card board box with a weed whacker engine?

"well he should be more responsible and get a good car to get to work in"

On what? his college loan?

Maybe some people should be more responsible and pay their employees more.

A single person with no baby mama or extreme debt, can live on $12/hr with steady work.

A family (wife, kid, job holder) can live off $15/hr, with steady work.

We all know landscaping isn't steady work.

If 2000 hours in a year times $15/hr = $30000.00
then this is what the guy needs to make per year.

If 1400 hours is what you get in a season for work,
figure paying the guy at least 22,000 grand (the other 8k he can make int he off season by balancing unemployment and odd jobs, till the season picks back up)

that means 22,000 / 1400 =$15.71/hr.

That means THATS the least you should be paying a key guy you depend on and intend on keeping.

If you have mild to frequent OT available you can factor that in… but either way, a key guy who runs with you all season should be getting 18k to 24k per season (gross)…you depend on him to work, he depends on you to live.

IF you short change him, he WILL short change you or leave you hanging.

HE has priorities and a cheap employer will never be one of them.

Again I hear "I can't afford to pay the much".
Seriously, if thats the case, do it all yourself, or get out of a business you have no sane reason to be participating in… I hear there are a good companies out there willing to hire guys with landscaping experience.

Bear in mind, a single employee will ALWAYS make more money than the owner on a single route.

That employee might make $5 per lawn…the owner makes $1.

an owner isn't supposed to make a lot o money off one lawn, he/she should be making $1 off every lawn from every crew, so his collective pay accrual is higher than any one employee. But the $/lawn for each employee is way higher than the owner.

The individual owner should never be making more per yard that a single employee, unless its somehow a giant windfall.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:17 AM

Yep, you get what you pay for it almost always true. People don't want to pay us much and we don't want to pay people much. Viscous cycle of human capitalistic greed and stinginess
Old 06-08-2014, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Member

If minimum wage goes up then so do prices of product. Or we will lose more jobs over seas because companies cant afford to pay a person 4 as much her as to send it over seas. It actually doesn't give you more money. It just inflates everything. Yes you might make 10-15 an hour min. But that dollar menu turns into a 5 dollar menu. Rich people will just get richer because all they will see opportunity to raise prices and be able to blame someone else. Basically the people making minimum wage need to consider finishing high school and or college.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-08-2014, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
The issue I see with many of the young people who work for me is their definition of "the basics in life". A living wage doesn't include choosing a lifestyle then asking your employer to fund it. Quit being innocent bystanders in your own life - develop skills that demand higher wages.

I see the same employees complain about not making enough money pull into the parking lot with a nicer/newer car then my wife drives. I see them purchase time shares without understanding the financial impact. I see them purchase the newest phones and TV's. I see them turn down a temp opportunity on the weekend because they want the day off. I see them decline full tuition reimbursement because they don't want to take the time to improve.

All that being said, I'm definitely an advocate of paying above market wages to keep rockstar employees. I just need them to quit comparing their chapter one or two in their career with my chapter 23.

Just my two cents....
Old 06-08-2014, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
If a person can survive on the wage they earn, by its very definition, it's a living wage. If they waste away to nothing, then it's not a living wage. This phrase is non sense, just like affordable housing. If by basics in life, can you show me someone with a job that can't put toilet paper on their ass? Have you ever had an employee show up naked since they can't afford clothes?

Everything comes down to supply and demand. There are tons of low skill loosers who will run a mower or weed whip semi poorly. The want more money, you replace them with someone else who values the opportunity more than not working. It's really quite simple. Go to cato.org and learn that govt wage standard do nothing more than create inflation.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-08-2014, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klogan011 View Post
If minimum wage goes up then so do prices of product. Or we will lose more jobs over seas because companies cant afford to pay a person 4 as much her as to send it over seas. It actually doesn't give you more money. It just inflates everything. Yes you might make 10-15 an hour min. But that dollar menu turns into a 5 dollar menu. Rich people will just get richer because all they will see opportunity to raise prices and be able to blame someone else. Basically the people making minimum wage need to consider finishing high school and or college.
Posted via Mobile Device
A simple HS diploma will not get you anything more than minimum wage, especially since there are plenty of college grads who can't get more than minimum wage jobs.

So if you don't finish HS…your still getting the same min wage job.

I got a guy right now who hasn't finished HS, he makes $13/hr.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

To the original poster:

You can pay him and yourself more if you stopped doing "business" with your city/state/fed/gov as a whole. You can compensate your labor and yourself much more once you figure out how to claw back everything that is stolen from the previous business' I sated in the first sentence.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZLawnPros View Post
To the original poster:

You can pay him and yourself more if you stopped doing "business" with your city/state/fed/gov as a whole. You can compensate your labor and yourself much more once you figure out how to claw back everything that is stolen from the previous business' I sated in the first sentence.
What exactly are you talking about? Tax evasion?
2003 eXmark Turf Tracer HP 36"/15hp Kaw
Stihl SG 20 Backpack sprayer
Stihl handhelds
Stihl HL-100
Stihl BR600 Magnums
Need a good Stihl chainsaw