Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-04-2014, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowingman View Post
I am not sure what all is going on here with this dealer. It does sound as though some shady business practices may be involved.
As a retired, former Gravely dealer, I will say that without a doubt, the Gravely factory people care about there customers and will go out of their way to help them. I had only good experiences the 4 years I sold Gravely machines.
Now, about this dealers pricing. Lets be clear here, this dealer owns these machines and can set whatever price he wants for them. He could price them a double the MSRP, and there is nothing illigal or unethical about that in itself. It seems the dealer may not have a good grip on reality, but as a customer, all we can do is register our complaint with the manufacturer and move on to other dealers or other brands. That is our choice. Pricing is his choice.
I agree though, from the postings here, it sounds like there may be other issues with this dealer.
People don't understand when you get in with Gravely/Ariens it is a total different world of support direct one on one with customer unless you have been there you would not know, they raise the notch to the top on support all the way around it is truly amazing and never lacks in any way.

Went straight to them right away, never mentioned this guys name or place once, still accused me of it though, paranoia maybe.

Either way through all the mess I still put my business to his shop 11 years, even for simple washers and bolts up to all mower parts except blades, and was told I could get them at hardware store but yeah I still put money in there.

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
05' Gravely 148z 1700+ hours 21 hp Kawi
Echo Trimmers
5x10 (upgrading winter)

Alabama Group
http://www.lawnsite.com/group.php?groupid=108
John Deere Group
http://www.lawnsite.com/group.php?groupid=109

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 06-04-2014, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Baffle on left is different too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah it is about 25% larger.

Echo Trimmers
5x10 (upgrading winter)

Alabama Group
John Deere Group

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerntide View Post
Get this though I should have been notified the units were 2012 he should never price a 2012 unit from 2 years of weathering from a 2014 paper.

If you go to a car dealer they will tell you the year of the model you are buying, would you buy 2012 mower for full 2014 price, tax and all fees? Much less a 30,000$ vehicle?

He can hate it all he wants I won't stand for being ripped off on a 2yr old unit at FULL 2014 price, it isn't right for any dealer of any kind to do that. So I get I get all the crap for telling the truth oh well, I guess we will see how Gravely Operations handles it from here done contacted them earlier.
Mowers aren't cars though and they aren't sold as "model years".

When I bought my Ferris I thought I had been "ripped off" because it had a 15 hp engine and the literature stated they have a 16 hp engine. I contacted Ferris with some questions and learned that they can determine a date of manufacture by the serial number, but that's it - there is no "model year" - it's not a "2012 Ferris" just because it was sold new in 2012 - it could have sat in a warehouse for a year before being ordered by a dealer and shipped out.
I've heard others on the dealer side explain it that way as well, so I know I wasn't being lied to. Ferris said that they don't do "model years" because "things change" and improvements are often implemented at varying times, so they just designate the model - not the "year".

Hope that made sense.

All that said, I DID get my mower at a discount. It had been at the dealer for a while (less than a year?) and I got it for something like $4,700 during a spring open house sale. It was the only one he had in stock and I asked what would happen if someone else bought it before I made up my mind. He looked in the book and gave me a price - it would have cost several hundred dollars more because it would need to be ordered and he would be getting it AFTER the yearly factory pricing adjustments. Since the one on the showroom floor was purchased at the prior year's pricing, he was selling it at that pricing level.

Different dealers, different methods. Mine was cool - yours sucks, but yeah - there aren't model years - I think mine was made 2 years before it was sold to me. Not a big deal really, unless there have been improvements done since and you miss out on them by getting an older unit.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I get that completely.

What I am referring to is the newer improvements with the newer improved decks, baffles, run flat tires, wider chute, and that on the new models. 2012's that do not have these features being sold off as 2014's.

I do believe that one 260 had run flats inside though

Echo Trimmers
5x10 (upgrading winter)

Alabama Group
John Deere Group

Old 06-05-2014, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerntide View Post
I get that completely.

What I am referring to is the newer improvements with the newer improved decks, baffles, run flat tires, wider chute, and that on the new models. 2012's that do not have these features being sold off as 2014's.

I do believe that one 260 had run flats inside though
How do you "get that" if you're still talking about 2012s and 2014s?

Just jerkin your chain. I understand why you're mad. I would be too if there have been significant changes*to the mower.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-07-2014, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Rolling on the floor laughing my A$$ off. Awesome. Another thread against gravely dealers. Right on man. If LCO's don't communicate with each other or on this website, greedy, shady, bastard dealers will get away with bloody murder forever. I should probably post a new thread about some very recent first hand facts and witness testimony and photos I have of a few "new" gravely proturns and 2 new zt's. But I digress. I'd rather almost give gravely and their dealers no attention at all. Hoping they'd just disappear.

To the original posters questions about high prices on models that were well beyond the "new manufacture date", man if you only knew. Told a friend not to buy gravely, he didn't listen. He says "we have so many gravely dealers around here they must be doing something right. LAUGH! He bought a pair, one for him and one for his son. He paid over a grand more than MSRP BEFORE TAX for each unit. Just ouch.... When I showed him bill of sales from others who had bought the exact same machines and within the range of the same serial numbers, he about lost it. The only thing from keeping him from going ballistic was that he is old school and told me the "deal is already done." He is currently trying to offload them now with each unit having less than 4 hours on them. He will take the hit cash wise just to get rid of them. He now wants absolutely nothing to do with gravely.

And I could give 2 sh!ts less what maryjane/ann/jezebell says to coax you people back into the gravely fold. That is apparently her/his job. The old adage seems to apply spot on with gravely and their dealers in my opinion, screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice shame on me.

Last edited by XYZLawnPros; 06-07-2014 at 01:53 AM. Reason: ..
Old 06-07-2014, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Any dealer of any brand can do this and lay out the pricing they want to, they buy their way in to selling the product and are not part of Gravely or any other entity themselves.

Gravely holds dealer seminars all the time on good business and customer support whether the dealer upholds that themselves fully lies in their hands.

Like I said in first sentence this has NOTHING to do with Gravely / Ariens corp.

Echo Trimmers
5x10 (upgrading winter)

Alabama Group
John Deere Group

Old 06-07-2014, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My new V-Ride was made in 2012 but it came in from scag or so says the dealer, it came in like a brand new one with hang tags and wrapped in plastic etc. They also sell gravely, they do have several old units including a turf tiger from around 2010 the paint is faded on it and it has rust.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
My new V-Ride was made in 2012 but it came in from scag or so says the dealer, it came in like a brand new one with hang tags and wrapped in plastic etc. They also sell gravely, they do have several old units including a turf tiger from around 2010 the paint is faded on it and it has rust.
This why self education is a must before shelling out 6 to 11 grand on a new mower, especially if there is a period where new improvements and parts which do have the new improvements applied, and the older units are being sold off as current year models which do NOT have the new improvements applied as in my case. Also the unit year of the model must be told to you if these improvements have been made and they are selling a older model which was never done, I just knew to look before hand.

In my case was the old deck fitted with new spindles, had the smaller chutes which had been enlarged for much better dispersal, no baffles, and you can see the overall difference in the picture comparison of the unit-units I spoke of between those and ProStreets true XF2 Deck, plus the newer run flat tires.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...6&postcount=37

Echo Trimmers
5x10 (upgrading winter)

Alabama Group
John Deere Group

Old 06-07-2014, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can understand wanting the most current model for sure, Toro changes the number if they change the mower and each size has a different model number etc.

My new scag is the most current design it's just not new production.