Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-07-2014, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is the AMS absorbed solely through the foliage, systemically, or both?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-08-2014, 03:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubba View Post
I put 1 lb per k on Bermuda. Had a little yellowing but not bad. Applied 0.5 lb per K on centipede and st. ausgustine with some pretty bad burn on yards with lots of sun. Would spraying at a higher volume followed by immediate irrigation alleviate the yellowing?
Posted via Mobile Device
Centipede and St Augustine is very sensitive to concentrated fertilizer solutions. On those grasses, here is what I want. Irrigation right before application. Application of 1/2 lb N to be done in 2+ gallons unless watering in is done immediately.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 06-08-2014, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Centipede and St Augustine is very sensitive to concentrated fertilizer solutions. On those grasses, here is what I want. Irrigation right before application. Application of 1/2 lb N to be done in 2+ gallons unless watering in is done immediately.
How do you handle lawns without irrigation?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-08-2014, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

liquid limits

Retired now. I was using a sprayer with a 6 gpm pump--Hypro GR232 or maybe 252. I used mostly urea which is a bit safer than Ammonium sulfate, I think.
I used 3/4 pound nitrogen per thousand, above 80 degrees I used a half pound. Above 85 a quarter pound--plus about one-quarter as much potash. Applied about 2.6 gals per thousand sqft.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubba View Post
How do you handle lawns without irrigation?
Posted via Mobile Device
Fertilizer rate goes down, water volume goes way up. As in no more than 5 lbs of dissolved material per 10 gallons.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 06-08-2014, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The plant can only uptake .1 lbs of nitrogen through the foliar process. Everything elapse is taken up via the roots. If I am wrong on this someone please correct me. AMS had a higher salt content per nutrient value vs urea. I use AMS as an addendum with my UFLEXX and UMAXX because I have soils that are on the high end of the ph scale. I do not use it in the summer when it is hot. I then use a combination of Urea Triazone and my U fertilizers. If you don't have irrigation you need to dilute the fertilizer and apply less.

I love my country, but mistrust my government, and the government doesn't create jobs, it just takes my money and gives it to other people or groups it thinks it can bribe.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FdLLawnMan View Post
The plant can only uptake .1 lbs of nitrogen through the foliar process. Everything elapse is taken up via the roots. If I am wrong on this someone please correct me. AMS had a higher salt content per nutrient value vs urea. I use AMS as an addendum with my UFLEXX and UMAXX because I have soils that are on the high end of the ph scale. I do not use it in the summer when it is hot. I then use a combination of Urea Triazone and my U fertilizers. If you don't have irrigation you need to dilute the fertilizer and apply less.
I assume you mean "salt index" or "osmolality index" and not "salt content" as it's unlikely AMS or other N sources would contain any negligible amounts of sodium chloride or other chlorides.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmarvin4064 View Post
I assume you mean "salt index" or "osmolality index" and not "salt content" as it's unlikely AMS or other N sources would contain any negligible amounts of sodium chloride or other chlorides.
You are correct, wrong wording on my part.

I love my country, but mistrust my government, and the government doesn't create jobs, it just takes my money and gives it to other people or groups it thinks it can bribe.