Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-10-2014, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm very interested in your progress. I'd live to dive in head first and probably would if I didn't have 8 (wife and seven kids) people counting on me for food and housing among other things. I'll be staring up part time next year and building up. As luck would have it, six of my kids are boys from 3 to 11 years old. By the time I'm able to quit my full time job for my lawn company, I'll have no shortage of helpers and hopefully they will stick with me as crew chiefs, marketing and estimating guys.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2014, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Off topic but do you Texas guys find it easier to find employees with all the Mexicans around or are they lazy like the rest?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2014, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Services View Post
Off topic but do you Texas guys find it easier to find employees with all the Mexicans around or are they lazy like the rest?
Posted via Mobile Device
There aren't any lazy people here
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2014, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Services View Post
Posted via Mobile Device

If you really insist, there's about 500 in the Home Depot parking lot each morning waiting to be picked up for work. You have to be able to speak minimum Spanish and no they're not lazy. If you need 20 large tree's dug and planted, pick one up and they'll dig until you can't dig any further, plant the tree's, then take your money and buy beer. On a side note, as mentioned above, not many lazy Meicans around here and most of the crews I've seen of 2 or more are running around pushing out 25-35 lawns a day. There's always one bad apple in the bunch, but if you need workers, their easy to find here.

John Deere 997 60" Diesel
Toro Grand-Stand 36"
Stihl Handhelds

Business: Solo Operated
Mechanic: Myself learning day by day.
Parts Supplier: ZeroTurnMan for everything.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawLawnCare View Post
I need some advice on a zero turn. I'll be buying one in a few weeks. I was looking at the 36" Bobcat walk behind. It has the same motor and transmission as the scag. I was going to get a Sally with it. What concerns me most is the belt drive. Their Hydro model is $1500 more... That almost breaks my budget. Is it worth it?
Also, I need a trailer... Any advice on where to buy my trailer?

I went with the Gravely 36" for this year with a sulky. Paid $3200.00 at Hill Country. Someone mentioned Mccoy's above. They carry quite a few scags if that's what your looking into, I just don't deal with them. Never have had good service from them and their always rude the few times I went in there to pick up parts. Talk to Nat at Hill Country, their customer service is bar none the best in my opinion. Asked them to order a mulch kit today, asked if it came with the blades, the guy says, "I'm not sure, but if not we'll throw them in free." I then talked to Nat, who I bought my machine from, asked how much he would charge to put the mulch kit on if I bought it since I'm so booked all week. He said you buy it and we'll put it on free. Can't beat that for customer service.

If you need a walk behind so you can build up some money let me know. I have a Gravely 34" for sale much cheaper then you would pay for a new machine. It's a 34" fits through all gates, nothing wrong with it, fresh oil change, new air filter, shows no signs of wear. Only issue is I have the safety kill switch removed. Has around 340 hours. I was asking 1,650.00, bring me $1,550 and it's yours. While your at it, we can talk business. I'm sure I could get you going in the right direction. I'm north of Austin about 15 minutes, picked up 60+ customers my first year. There's plenty of work to go around out there here. Remember this is America's fastest growing city for 2014, we have thousands of people migrating here steadily needing lawns mowed according to Forbes.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/emeg4...-austin-texas/

Toro Grand-Stand 36"
Stihl Handhelds

Old 06-11-2014, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm looking at the snapper pro S50XTB2536 with the 36" deck. It has the 25hp Briggs and Stratton.
Any thoughts?
As for the Mexican talk...I hire these guys readily and pay them well. Austin seems to raise a softer breed of folks. Over the years I've learned how to pick and choose. I also speak Spanish, having spent a year+ living in southern Mexico in my 20's.
As for how my jobs are coming. I'm right at the point where I can barely do this by myself. Yesterday I laid three pallets of 8" block and five yards of soil for a succulent garden. It was 12 hours of back breaking work!
I have four full service, weekly contracts and a couple handfuls of regular mow and blows.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2014, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm still trying to find a trailer that won't break my bank...any thoughts? I'm willing to drive anywhere in central Texas to buy it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2014, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I'm still trying to find a trailer that won't break my bank...any thoughts? I'm willing to drive anywhere in central Texas to buy it.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think I'll be buying a fleet package from sle in Tennessee unless I can n find someone in Texas that can make three same deals. They have good deals on trailers too from what I've seen.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2014, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I found a 6x10 single axle with four foot walls, a trimmer each and blower box for $1700
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-13-2014, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I found a 6x10 single axle with four foot walls, a trimmer each and blower box for $1700
Posted via Mobile Device

Bought my 6x10 from Tractor Supply in Georgetown with the wood floors - $999. brand new.

Toro Grand-Stand 36"
Stihl Handhelds