Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-11-2014, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Member

I wish there was a Like or thumbs up button here, because that is a great post.

Licensed Insurance Agent in ME/NH/Mass
Old 06-11-2014, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Nah that's what YOU think. If you have a kitchen contractor pull up in an escalade what are you going to think? Would you rather someone pull up in a beat up 90s pos?

Even a "normal" work truck is approaching 40k these days.
Pulling up in a $40,000 work truck is not the same as pulling up in a $80,000 personal vehicle.

The nice truck reflects positive on the business. They are not fly by night broke ass.

$80,000 personal vehicle to many indicates that he charges too much. Specially when the customer can not afford a $40,000 vehicle.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I know of one guy who rocks a black, F550 CC pulling a black, 40' enclosed gooseneck. Everything about him and his crew is pristine. He does a lot of corporate and executive properties. His revenue numbers are staggering. He wouldn't be at that level without his presentation.

Exactly that his image helps him land those job.

People will not go into a greasy spoon and pay $500 for a dinner for two.

Yet they will pay that gladly in a 3 star restaurant with white linen table cloth and napkins.

Though to state that his revenue numbers are good. Without knowing gross and what goes into his pocket, eh.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Member

I think a lot has to do with your target market as well. Lower income will scoff at an expensive truck, whereas higher end customers want a high end company
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2014, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Exactly that his image helps him land those job.

People will not go into a greasy spoon and pay $500 for a dinner for two.

Yet they will pay that gladly in a 3 star restaurant with white linen table cloth and napkins.

Though to state that his revenue numbers are good. Without knowing gross and what goes into his pocket, eh.
I do not know of one successful company that doesn't have half decent matching stuff. It's marketing 101

Just because someone has a fleet of matching trucks doesn't mean he's broke as ****. We had 30 trucks where I worked and every single one of them matched. Even the Prius's all matched. Image IS everything. Not everyone thinks like YOU do

If you drive a pos expect pos customers. That simple
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2014, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowguy43 View Post
I think a lot has to do with your target market as well. Lower income will scoff at an expensive truck, whereas higher end customers want a high end company
Posted via Mobile Device
It doesn't matter. Image is everything.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2014, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
It doesn't matter. Image is everything.
Posted via Mobile Device
believe me I get what your saying, there are places by me that will slam the door on you if you show up in a nice car. I have the same problem with businesses that I write policies for, I know when to drive my truck and I know when to take my nicer car. Image "is" everything
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2014, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowguy43 View Post
believe me I get what your saying, there are places by me that will slam the door on you if you show up in a nice car. I have the same problem with businesses that I write policies for, I know when to drive my truck and I know when to take my nicer car. Image "is" everything
Posted via Mobile Device
That is the way it is here. They will Not ask a guy that has a nice truck and trailer for bid. They know the price will be more and that is in ehe 300k as well as the million dollar homes. One of the biggest small yard companies gets his trucks from Talibon after they throw them away. And you would call his trailers junk. But the Roving Gardner is cutting in million dollar homes next to the only home we have in neighboorhood.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I drove and still drive the older "pos" truck a few times a week. just hit 290k in the old 7.3 and still continue to get great customers, I have had a few over the years and I mean literally only a few that were not good customers and I dropped them. but the others have lasted. the customers that see a nicer newer truck, think (a) wow look at his newer nice and shiny truck on those fancy wheels, he must do a good job and be successful, (b) wow look at his newer nice and shiny truck he must charge a lot. The customer who thinks b is probably not a customer you want to have because they are cheap, and if they don't agree to your pricing then you probably don't want to work for them unless you have no work then you need to work for whoever until you are booked solid then you can weed out the customers you don't like and build a list of perfect clients.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
I drove and still drive the older "pos" truck a few times a week. just hit 290k in the old 7.3 and still continue to get great customers, I have had a few over the years and I mean literally only a few that were not good customers and I dropped them. but the others have lasted. the customers that see a nicer newer truck, think (a) wow look at his newer nice and shiny truck on those fancy wheels, he must do a good job and be successful, (b) wow look at his newer nice and shiny truck he must charge a lot. The customer who thinks b is probably not a customer you want to have because they are cheap, and if they don't agree to your pricing then you probably don't want to work for them unless you have no work then you need to work for whoever until you are booked solid then you can weed out the customers you don't like and build a list of perfect clients.
People expect a old truck to have faded paint and show some wear and tear.

Though they are turned off by the old green truck that has a blue hood, red LF fender, white LF door, stoved in RF door, and has just is covered in as much rust as paint.

Also having a nice truck does not imply that you will get rid of customers that you do not like.

Every customer that pays full price is liked.

If Landscapers would stop buying trucks that they could not afford they would not be desperate for work to make huge truck payments so they would not have to low ball. Hence no need to drop any customers because he would of not taken on any low profit customers.