Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-10-2014, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

seal issues

I was looking for feedback from Wright, we have a sentar 36 inch (believe it is either a 2007 or 2008 and it has under 500 hours on it, fabulous mower. It developed a bad oil leak last week, took it in and found out that the crank case seal and another internal gasket are bad along with one of my hydro's. Dealer says I am looking at $1500 to get it fixed! this is a $7000 machine with what I consider very low hours, is this a within the normal timeframe for something this major to go wrong?! I was considering buying another larger Wright at the end of the year but am very concerned that these may not be built quite the way I had thought. is there a history of these type of issues?
Old 06-11-2014, 08:17 AM
Sponsor

jsf343,

60 to 70 hours a year is extremely low for a commercial mower they are built to run everyday all day for the season and it is not unusual for users to put 500 to over a 1000 hours on a unit in a single season. Light use means the mower sits more than it is used which can lead to premature seal or gasket issues no different than an automobile. What is going on with the hydro system?

Best Regards,
Wright Mfg.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrightCommercial View Post
jsf343,

60 to 70 hours a year is extremely low for a commercial mower they are built to run everyday all day for the season and it is not unusual for users to put 500 to over a 1000 hours on a unit in a single season. Light use means the mower sits more than it is used which can lead to premature seal or gasket issues no different than an automobile. What is going on with the hydro system?

Best Regards,
Wright Mfg.
the hydro developed a leak and apparently needs to be changed out, they have told me the repairs may take as long as 2 months due to the ability to get parts which seems insane. as for premature seal or gasket issues I guess that's one way to spin it. The mower is used 3 days a week, 1 large property (11 acres-not all turf though), and 2 mid sized both on different days in different parts of town. our season here is late February through the end of March, so though it has low hours believe me it doesn't just sit in the shop collecting dust. if light use means it could have these issues it would seem to me all the new business owners coming into this field would want to think twice as most don't just start up with full time work. I love the mower I just think it is very odd to suddenly have this big of an issue and I am searching for answers, just because it is lightly used doesn't seem like the most logical one to me.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:03 AM
Sponsor

jsf343,

Which part of the hydro system developed a leak, there are seal kits available for both the pumps and the motors? Taking 2 months to repair a unit should not fall on the part availability, the distributor warehouse is in California and they are our biggest distributor, who is the dealer you are going to? Low hours can contribute to seals failing not the only reason but it does happen. just because a pump or motor seal leaks doesn't mean the whole component has to be replaced, where is the leak occurring?

Best Regards,
Wright Mfg.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

truthfully I don't know because I just heard the price to fix all of that and went numb and into a Charlie Brown moment where the teacher is talking but Charlie Brown is not really hearing (mop mop maup). It is being fixed at Stark street Lawn and Garden here in Portland, I will have to look into it more and get back to you.