Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-02-2014, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete326 View Post
ztman --- Thanks for the response, but your former 60" JD is more machine than I need ... and more money than I want to spend.
Too much machine???? I am not familiar with this terminology, does such a thing exist????????
Old 06-02-2014, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Member

NEVER TO MUCH MACHINE lol!!!
2004 Duramax with Hypertech
Old 06-02-2014, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan aerators View Post
Don't ever but residential/ homeowner equipment. You'll regret it trust me. I would recommend a 48in walk behind with a sulky, but you said you have back problems. maybe a 54in zero turn or a 60in would suit you. Hell you could pick up 10 lawns in your neighborhood and in a couple years it could pay for your mower!!
Thanks, but I am officially retired with no plans to re-enter the workforce. Besides, most of my other neighbors use lawn services.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
Too much machine???? I am not familiar with this terminology, does such a thing exist????????
Well, unfortunately there are certain poor souls (like me) in this world who don't buy a Rolls Royce when they're working with a Cadillac budget.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Well, unfortunately there are certain poor souls (like me) in this world who don't buy a Rolls Royce when they're working with a Cadillac budget.

I understand. I read your original post to mean $ was not an issue. I also once had a gravely with a 48"deck, 17hp motor to cut a smaller yard like yours. Cut great. Nice heavy duty machine. You could get one of those used for around $3,500. I think what the other fellows are saying is if you go residential grade, it may be cheaper up front, but will cost more in the long run.
Good luck with the decision.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
I understand. I read your original post to mean $ was not an issue. I also once had a gravely with a 48"deck, 17hp motor to cut a smaller yard like yours. Cut great. Nice heavy duty machine. You could get one of those used for around $3,500. I think what the other fellows are saying is if you go residential grade, it may be cheaper up front, but will cost more in the long run.
Good luck with the decision.
Money isn't an issue, but at the same time I don't see the need to buy the best thing on the market. It's unlikely that I'll be living here longer than another 5 years +/-, so buying a commercial grade machine might be overkill but I do understand the long-term benefits. It would be a no-brainer if I expected to be cutting grass 10 years from now, but that's not where I am. Hence, a nice residential grade ZTR will probably do the trick. I have no problem laying out $5,000 if that's what it takes, but anything beyond that is probably a waste of money given my circumstances. If the machine is still in good working order when we move, I'll leave it for the next guy if he's interested.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whittaker's Lawn and Snow View Post
If your wanting it for snow also get a tractor! I recommend a deere! If your going to.get one the x300 series is great, but.I would look into the x500 series also. Specifically the x540. It has power steering, power lift, and traction assit. Great for snow, mowing, and garden tilling! New there around $7000 I just got.one with 100 hours for.$6200. You should be able to find one with a couple hundred hours for.cheaper!
Yours sounds like a solid recommendation, but that's a bit more than I want to spend right now. I do have a snow blower, but it's not self-propelled so I get exhausted when using it in deeper snow. However, for the time being it's adequate. I'm flexible, but I'd like to stay around $5,000 out the door.

If $5000 your limit, you can get a fairly.nice outfit for.that. it might not be brand new but you certainly can get a good used.deere for that!
Old 06-10-2014, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Member

The Cubs

If you're looking for something that is tough as nails, won't break the bank and will outlive you, have a look at some of the IH or CCC built Cub Cadets, especially the "Supers", any Cub Cadet garden tractor pre-1990. For around $2400 you can get a very nice 1872/2072 with low hours, 60 inch deck and 54 inch hydraulic snow blade. The Sundstrand hydraulics are next to impossible to kill and the construction is heavy duty steel frame. Or if you're feeling adventurous, a nice 40 year old 1450/1650 can be had for around $800, and since the rear-end is cast iron, it will easily go for another 40. Mine has been used for plowing and tilling for the past 40 years by the previous owner and shows no sign of wear. Try that with any modern "garden tractor".

Before you drop big money on a new tractor that is made to fail, look around your local craigslist for older cub cadets,go see one in person, check out the frame, the transmission, the build quality. You will never look at tractors the same way again.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Check out kubota kommander , it's a residential but very nice.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavcom View Post
Check out kubota kommander , it's a residential but very nice.
I see that you're also from Bel Air .... small world.