Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-10-2014, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Pipeline work

Anybody ever done any?

I've gotta wild hair lately and I wanna get in to it. And I am not real sure where to look.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2014, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You will make stupid amounts of money. But have to move around a lot and live out of a hotel room. Probably start at 20-30 a hour plus overtime and do 90 hour weeks.
Precision pipeline is in my area, they work all over America. I believe they are a sister company to Indian head pipeline. Most will be union so start at the union hall.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-10-2014, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Almost all are union. Picasso is right, you'll make stupid money. I have several family members, friends, and customers working pipeline in western PA, OH, and WV. One of my best buddies shut down his excavating company 3 years ago to work pipeline and hasn't looked back. His kids are grown and his wife travels with him. He's exceptionally skilled, been on equipment since he was about 8. He's 50 now. He gets around $50/hr because he'll go places that flatlanders won't. Per deim of $125/day and his company gives a fuel card and pays $700/mo if you have a 3/4 ton truck. Hours are before dawn and to dark 6 days/week. Some 1/2 days on Sundays. Most guys buy campers and find a camp ground instead of doing the hotel gig.

Honestly, it's crazy money, but a hard life. Many guys end up addicts trying to get a boost to make it through the day. No life whatsoever. I talked to him last week and he hasn't had a break in 3 months. On Sundays he runs to the laundrymat and grocery store then fishes and takes a nap. That's been his life for 3 years. No thanks.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am young and it's always been one of those things I have wanted to do. Now I just gotta find somebody hiring.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2014, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

They all are hiring. My buddy does basic oil changes and Grease jobs and fluid level checks on machines. Drives a brand new service truck. Makes over 150 a year.
Do that for 4 years and you can buy a house with cash.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2014, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Services View Post
They all are hiring. My buddy does basic oil changes and Grease jobs and fluid level checks on machines. Drives a brand new service truck. Makes over 150 a year.
Do that for 4 years and you can buy a house with cash.
Posted via Mobile Device
I just gotta find the company that'll hire me
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2014, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Junior.

What is it you want to do exactly? I've done clearing for a pipeline. It's all very fast paced and I was working on only a small segment that ran through one of my customer's ranches. There's a lot of different aspects. I think running an excavator on a pipeline would get you skills that would take you anywhere you want to go later in life.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 06-11-2014, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
Junior.

What is it you want to do exactly? I've done clearing for a pipeline. It's all very fast paced and I was working on only a small segment that ran through one of my customer's ranches. There's a lot of different aspects. I think running an excavator on a pipeline would get you skills that would take you anywhere you want to go later in life.
I want to be an operator.

If I had to start as a laborer that'd be fine.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2014, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Services View Post
You will make stupid amounts of money. But have to move around a lot and live out of a hotel room. Probably start at 20-30 a hour plus overtime and do 90 hour weeks.
Precision pipeline is in my area, they work all over America. I believe they are a sister company to Indian head pipeline. Most will be union so start at the union hall.
Posted via Mobile Device
Precision pipeline is doing a job 2 miles from my house right now.I've been stopping by every now and then talking with them.Very nice guys.The oiler right now is getting $32 and hour and the hoe operator was getting $41 an hour.I've always wanted to be a pipeliner but it's a brutally hard life.My wife refuses to live in a fifth wheel and with a baby girl on the way I'm not gonna raise her in a trailer.Also the divorce rate is threw the roof.I talked with one of the guys and he said he had not been home in five years.I asked if he was married and said yes with two kids.He even said its a hard life but with the company paying for his brand new diesel and fuel on top of making money hand over fist he loved it.I still love everything about pipeling but the negatives well out way the positives for me.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My buddies are linemen, work seven days a week. Average a grand a day. Where else are you going to make $300,000 a year plus benefits?

Problem is they all live way beyond their means, somehow staying broke, the young wife keeps busy with the poolboy and their kids all look like the mailman. But on the other hand, they can say that they're linemen.
Posted via Mobile Device