Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-06-2014, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

work through the rain unless its a downpour. If the ground is too wet for a WB then we dont mow. We leave fridays open and they work 40 hrs m-t. Friday always open for rain or holidays or w/e
Old 06-06-2014, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by familylawncare View Post
How do you handle rain after starting work? We run 3-4 Crews daily. If it rains enough to stop mowing, how long do you wait before calling it a day?
Currently we wait 20 minutes, then, if it has not stopped, ask ourselves (with the help of phone radar app) if we think it will stop raining enough to allow continue. If the answer is no, we call it. Looking for a consistent procedure to use. What is your procedure or idea?
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Radar is you're friend
Posted via Mobile Device
AGREED!!!! Best hi-tech gadget you can have on you for this job is the radar! Just look at it, and make your own judgment call for the day. If it's light intermittent showers; your prob good to go! Just note in each customer's accounts under Special Instructions, the fussy ones that don't want you to ever mow when wet!!
Old 06-07-2014, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

After you see lightning make sure you notify of your coworkers by waving a weedeater high up over your head. Safety first!

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 06-09-2014, 05:15 PM
Sponsor

Definitely call it off for Thunderstorms. Like some have said, walking around with solid metal poles isn't the best way to get ahead. We mow in the rain up until it gets too soggy to cut then we consult the radar and decide. If its wet when we get up we push it back until noon or it dries out. Past that we will call it a day.

The picky wet ones are always around too, got fired a couple times because we cut when we thought it was good and the customer did not.
Office: 800-647-1951
Locqus - Free Field Service Management
Proud owner of Shamrock Landscaping LLC
Old 06-09-2014, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by familylawncare View Post
How do you handle rain after starting work? We run 3-4 Crews daily. If it rains enough to stop mowing, how long do you wait before calling it a day?
Currently we wait 20 minutes, then, if it has not stopped, ask ourselves (with the help of phone radar app) if we think it will stop raining enough to allow continue. If the answer is no, we call it. Looking for a consistent procedure to use. What is your procedure or idea?
I do the same as you. I worked in the rain today, nothing serious just a 'm light drizzle that was annoying. If I have to I will bring rain gear.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-09-2014, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Never gotten fired by commercial for mowing in the rain; they're more likely to complain because you're not there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-09-2014, 06:18 PM
Sponsor

^^ Oh commercial is amazing, they don't care when or how you do it. Residential are the picky bushes.
Office: 800-647-1951
Locqus - Free Field Service Management
Proud owner of Shamrock Landscaping LLC
Old 06-09-2014, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Chevy View Post
Never gotten fired by commercial for mowing in the rain; they're more likely to complain because you're not there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Agreed. I usually don't mow in rain but 1 of my commercials had me there 2years ago mowing in a downpour cuz they had some big wigs coming to the plant the next day....and its a 4 acre property. I was a soggy bottom boy for sure!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2014, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I need some of your commercial accounts....

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!