Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-11-2014, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone use 411 locals for adv

I had this company call, claiming to be google partner, and telling me they will create or modify website, but name out there on facebook and witter. and claim to guarantee number 1 spot on google listings for services in my area. they also say there is no contract and can cancel but I am allowed to keep site.

And of course need to charge with promotional offer 199.99 for start up then 149 a month. they claim It will pay for itsself

Being a small business - and a College student as well I am skeptical about paying for advertisement other than with local people whom I know. I also utilize word of mouth, the community is small as well as surrounding communities

Sorry for any spelling mistakes - I am an accounting major

Thanks for you opinions and suggestions
Old 06-11-2014, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Head over to the website forum and start reading. Pay attention to tonygreek
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2014, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinneberg lawn service View Post
I had this company call, claiming to be google partner
Odds are heavily weighted towards them lying. By and large, legit companies, especially SEOs, simply don't cold call. The day I make a cold call is the day I realize that things have gone horribly awry and I've failed. lol

Quote:
and claim to guarantee number 1 spot on google listings for services in my area.
Now I know they're lying. There are no guarantees for that.

Quote:
And of course need to charge with promotional offer 199.99 for start up then 149 a month. they claim It will pay for itsself
For what they are promising, or might be able to deliver, their lying is illustrated by their lowball price. It could, however, very well pay for itself. One sale can do that.

Quote:
Being a small business - and a College student as well I am skeptical about paying for advertisement other than with local people whom I know. I also utilize word of mouth, the community is small as well as surrounding communities
As a current student, do you really need to add an injection of growth? If word of mouth can carry you, ride that wave as long as you can. If so inclined, you can be working on some SEO things as you can. Sweat equity certainly does well here. As Whiffy points out, the Web sub forum is a great place to start.

Quote:
Sorry for any spelling mistakes - I am an accounting major

Thanks for you opinions and suggestions
Should you decide to stick with lawn care, an accounting background will likely prove to be a differentiator between you and your competitors. The accounting degree guys I know do very well in this space. And a complete grasp of Customer Lifetime Value can be your key to marketing.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

In terms of your web marketing, first bit of advice:
Register your domain name (it's available) and ditch the freebie web service. Even better, don't upgrade to Wix's premium service. For DIY, take a look at squarespace.com. At a bare minimum, be using your domain name.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks For your opinions. My suspicions were correct. I don't see how they can gurantee anything. I Also sent an email out to a local paper who offers web design and hosting to see about creating a site on by behalf. I honestly know very little when it comes to web sites. I also have read in the website forum and learned alot also. Given prices and the size of discount 411 locals offer also makes me wonder. They were giving me a $300 discount and upon further reading this morning about the company they lied saying I would get to keep website and all other media sites if I were to cancel service which is not correct according to company policy. Also thank you for the comment about accounting greatly appreciated.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

411 Locals is definitely not known for their honesty. In online marketing circles, they (and similar companies, such as Yodle) are held in very low regard.

Re: the local paper's offerings, feel free to shoot me a pm with additional info or a link. More than happy to take a look.