Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-14-2014, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I would also say you're dealer is a fricking idiot

My thoughts as well.
It's a Fastrak. The first one I had would mow through anything and I had it for about 10 years and had more to mow than I do now. I was going to buy the the commercial model this time but the dealer told me the transmission was the same and I didn't need it. (The transmission went in the old mower.)
Old 06-14-2014, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeJL View Post
I would also say you're dealer is a fricking idiot

My thoughts as well.
It's a Fastrak. The first one I had would mow through anything and I had it for about 10 years and had more to mow than I do now. I was going to buy the the commercial model this time but the dealer told me the transmission was the same and I didn't need it. (The transmission went in the old mower.)
Make a post in the hustler forum. The rep is on here he checks in during the week
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2014, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Sounds strange to me. I would check out the set up on your deck: blades in good shape? Have the dealer check the tip speed. Either the blades are messed up somehow or tip speed is down for some reason, I'm guessing. That mower should absolutely be good to go. Heck, I'm mulching with a Timecutter MX which is less machine and it mows grass into dust.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Member

It's been this way since the first day I tried to mow. I have mentioned to the dealer that perhaps there is a problem with this specific mower and he keeps giving me excuses. Unfortunately he is the only dealer in the area. I don't think he will many more machines because I have a dog grooming salon on my property and everyone who comes here and who has told me to mow the grass has heard how much money I spent on my new Hustler that doesn't work.

I'll post something on the Hustler site.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
It's been this way since the first day I tried to mow. I have mentioned to the dealer that perhaps there is a problem with this specific mower and he keeps giving me excuses. Unfortunately he is the only dealer in the area. I don't think he will many more machines because I have a dog grooming salon on my property and everyone who comes here and who has told me to mow the grass has heard how much money I spent on my new Hustler that doesn't work.

I'll post something on the Hustler site.
Go to the lawnsite home page and scroll down. They are a sponsor here. The reps name is hustlermidwest
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-15-2014, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp1 View Post
Hi I'm new here and need some advise on a ztr for 5.5 ac, the terrain is all grass and flat. What kind of mower would y'all recommend and how long would it take. Thanks in advance.
72" mower or bigger
Old 06-23-2014, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Oil for Kawasaki FR691V

SAE 40, SAE 30, SAE 10W-30/SAE 10W-40, or SAE 5W-20

The above options are listed in the manual. Which do you recommend and what brand? Mower will be used in temps ranging from about 50* to 90*' April through November. Little to no towing; mulcher until fall, then bagger for leaves.

Home owner unit (1 acre per week).

Thanks in advance.

DC
Old 10-21-2014, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
In the spring of 2013 I replaced my old Hustler with a new one. It had belt problems the very first time I used it . In fact, it has never worked like my old one did. The dealer told me we were having a very wet spring and things would get better. The dealer told me not to mow when the moisture content was high so I mowed on my lunch break at noon rather than in the evening when it was cool. The dealer told me I was letting the grass get too tall so I mowed on a lower setting. The dealer told me I needed to mow more often so I mowed twice a week. The dealer told me I should have started mowing earlier in the season. By September it was hopeless and I hired someone to bushhog the front yard.
In March 2014 I started mowing for the season. I mowed at the hottest part of the day. I mowed on the highest setting and three days later I went over it on a lower setting. I only ran the mower for an hour a day. I spoke kindly to the mower…
In May it started having belt problems. So, if the mower doesn’t work in the spring when the grass is full of moisture and growing and it doesn’t work in the summer when the grass is dry but tall, what the heck good is it for?
My patience with my new Hustler and with everyone who tells me I need to mow the grass is about gone. I guess I have to buy another mower. Any suggestions on a brand?
King of sounds like me with my Raptor SD. I was "cutting too low and too fast". I sent it into the shop and when it melted a belt on the highest setting in their front yard, they decided to look at it and admitted a problem. I tried an x one and a JD 930 yesterday and I think I've made my decision.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-02-2014, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Advice on used commercial units

Hello everyone! I'm looking to get my feet wet in the commercial mower world and would like to start off with a good used walk behind. It will be homeowner use on a flat .5 acre lot (not including home and shed) with a few basic obstacles and mostly st. augustine grass.

My absolute max budget would be $3,000 but I would like to stay around $2,000 or less, if possible. I've kept an eye on craigslist and ebay over the past month and haven't come across much but this unit popped up near Austin which is about a 2 hour drive from me:

http://austin.craigslist.org/for/4773635054.html

It's a 36" SCAG ULTIMATE belt-drive with velkie for $1,900 and looks to be in great shape. Brand new these units run in the $3,250 range so factoring the cost of a velkie and tax, this used unit could net a savings of over 50%. Am I on the right track here?

My only reservation is the belt-drive system but from what I can tell, the drawbacks are greatly decreased since I mow in dry conditions and don't have too many obstacles.

I like the thought of commercial because of the maintainability of the machines and it also leaves me the flexibility to use the machine for more heavy duty applications like helping my folks with their 3 acre lot and maybe even picking up a few lawns around the neighborhood if I ever feel so inclined.

I'll be ready to purchase within the next couple of weeks and am willing to wait as long as needed to find the right deal. I have yet to hit up the local specialty shops who don't advertise inventory online because I like to know exactly what I'm looking for before I walk into a place so I can pull the trigger on the spot if the right machine pops up.

Thoughts and suggestions greatly appreciated!

TL;DR: Help me spend up to $3,000 on a mower for my flat 1/2 acre lot in south Texas with mostly st. augustine grass and few obstacles.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morethanjake View Post
Hello everyone! I'm looking to get my feet wet in the commercial mower world and would like to start off with a good used walk behind. It will be homeowner use on a flat .5 acre lot (not including home and shed) with a few basic obstacles and mostly st. augustine grass.

My absolute max budget would be $3,000 but I would like to stay around $2,000 or less, if possible. I've kept an eye on craigslist and ebay over the past month and haven't come across much but this unit popped up near Austin which is about a 2 hour drive from me:

http://austin.craigslist.org/for/4773635054.html

It's a 36" SCAG ULTIMATE belt-drive with velkie for $1,900 and looks to be in great shape. Brand new these units run in the $3,250 range so factoring the cost of a velkie and tax, this used unit could net a savings of over 50%. Am I on the right track here?

My only reservation is the belt-drive system but from what I can tell, the drawbacks are greatly decreased since I mow in dry conditions and don't have too many obstacles.

TL;DR: Help me spend up to $3,000 on a mower for my flat 1/2 acre lot in south Texas with mostly st. augustine grass and few obstacles.

I would keep looking did a quick search and only saw 3 in your area on CL search CL using commercial mower, walk-behind, walkbehind, velky, etc. You want to save money but you arent taking into account the 2 hr drive. Now is the time to buy as most people sell during winter. Do a search everyday and if you see something then go look before it is gone. Remember even if it is like new and still under warranty the warranty may not transfer to you so take that into the price consideration.