Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-15-2014, 03:14 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Many grass cutters here bag clippings all day long. What a horrid waste of organic matter and robbed nutrients from the grass. The issue is...it is clearly faster than double cutting.

I max out at 300 gallons of clippings then I'm done bagging for the day or a trip to the dump. It is not uncommon to see huge piles of clippings in open trailers or a huge mound of grass in a truck bed. Most run GHS Walkers here. Thus far I have avoided the draw of the dark side.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-15-2014, 03:16 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

OakNut,

You need to try wet mulching soaked grass with the older lower lift TimeMaster blades. It does work.

Dead serious.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-15-2014, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmos123 View Post
Sorry, I meant to ask if it bagged well. I noticed you had the discharge chute open with the bag on too. I was meaning to ask if you ever went full bag in the wet grass, and how it worked.

As I mentioned, I bagged going one direction and did the "combo" going the other. When I got closer to the house, I bagged everything since I didn't want to blow clippings where they shouldn't be.

It bagged the wet grass very well. I did another job last week where I bagged the whole lawn because it was wet and I had no issue with the rear chute clogging - a little grass built up at the edge of the chute near the blades, and eventually there was grass sticking to the "walls" of the chute, but that's it - it never clogged, or became restricted - the grass went into the bag where as it's supposed to.

Bigger bag + wet grass = heavy bag. You guys with walk behinds who bag are surely used to it, but that was a big change from bagging with a 21" mower.
Just need to empty before it gets filled when it's wet.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the info and pics. I will definitely be getting a Timemaster before next season starts and I go heavy into picking up business again. Maybe there will even be some deals on them over the winter/fall.
Before when I was mowing almost full time I mulched %90 of the yards I mowed, all but the ignorant stubborn customers!
Old 06-15-2014, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

As of 6:05 pm the TimeMaster is now equipped with a cup holder.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-15-2014, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I really like that Ferris.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't let Uniontown fool you - the cost of living is low but so is the cost of life.... 40% of the residents are collecting some form of government assistance and good luck finding workers. It's an old coal mining community and the mines been dry for 30+ years.

Oaknut If I buy a timemaster, which based off your review seems likely - I would be using it primarily on my "no trailer days" and just need to fab up something so I can put it in the bed. I'm thinking of making a flatbed insert into my truck bed with the ramp underneath it. That way I can put a 30" mower, 21" mower, 2 trimmers, 2 blowers, and gas cans in the 6 foot bed.

I know what your saying about hauling around all the goodies associated with what we do. I have an extended cab on my truck - and the whole back is LOADED with stuff. Thinking about fabricating a rack for the back of it

Nice review none the less
Old 06-16-2014, 01:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I hate this button.

Apart from my hatred of having to jam my thumb into it and hold it there until the engine stops, I had a little "oh crap" moment the other day.
I finished my lawn and "drove" it up the ramp onto the trailer, and pushed the button to shut down the engine. Nothing happened - nothing at all - it just sat there running. Great.

I pulled it off the trailer and jiggled the wires that run into the "switch" while pressing on the button. Nothing.

Assuming it was a wiring issue I started looking...

Hmmm... that doesn't seem right.

Plugged the two couplings together and everything was fine - it shut down with the press of the button.

I think it must have gotten snagged when I was pushing the mower under some pine trees with branches near the ground.

Ooops.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
I think it must have gotten snagged when I was pushing the mower under some pine trees with branches near the ground.
I don't push mine under any trees, as I don't have a cover fab'ed up for the governor spring. Yes, I have a tach. But, I'd rather not take chances of screwing up, like losing the governor spring.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
Dolmar 245.4 string trimmer
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 06-16-2014, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I stopped at the dealer tonight - his timemaster has the filter but not the front baffle.... wtf TORO why did you design 3 different machines???

Very frustrating trying to solve the riddle of purchase.

Also his floor model's fuel filter was cracked - how does that happen to a floor model that is up on a shelf