Register free!

Old 06-13-2014, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So why would lowering the spinner change the spread pattern ? the only difference is it would take a split sec longer for the fert to hit the spinner plate
Old 06-13-2014, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARLES CUE View Post
So larry why do you think you have so many problems with the spreader dial and others don't ? mine has never broke granted you do more than me
Not sure. All I know is we have about 10 spares in the warehouse, and each T-truck also carries a spare.

NOTE: One thing I've been requesting from TURFCO is to incorporate some sort of shock absorbing system for the front end. I think this would reduce the Spyker (cheap plastic clip) spreader dial problem.

Hey --- I'm always thinking.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
So why would lowering the spinner change the spread pattern ? the only difference is it would take a split sec longer for the fert to hit the spinner plate
Not sure, but it does make a difference. The "prill size" dictates everything. Right now we're throwing out granules about 14 feet, and the spread pattern is even.

All I know is adjusting the impeller up or down really does change the pattern. I figure this would apply to any stand-on spreader.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
the 2 things that come to mind are that 1 the machine is in forward motion
during operation ,and
2 is the perhaps the granules are hitting the accuway as they fall out
the gate opening and they are not going in straight down direction
Old 06-17-2014, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

3 Spyker impellers

All 3 here are Spyker impellers.

Left = current issue (2 curved/2 straight fins) = 11 7/8 inches
Middle = old impeller I found in our warehouse (4 straight fins) = 11 7/8 inches (this is what I want, but I could not find a Spyker part number on it)
Right = Spyker sent this to us yesterday (thank you). 4 straight fins. 10 1/2 inches. Also has 4 holes in it. ??? I'm concerned that it is only 10.5 inches in diameter, as well as 4 holes in it.

We will test the new Spyker impeller very soon -- not sure if the holes will be a factor or if the smaller size will make a difference. My guess is...it will, cuz smaller impellers usually mean narrower spread pattern.
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2014, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post

Middle = old impeller I found in our warehouse (4 straight fins) = 11 7/8 inches (this is what I want, but I could not find a Spyker part number on it)
Right = Spyker sent this to us yesterday (thank you). 4 straight fins. 10 1/2 inches. Also has 4 holes in it. ??? I'm concerned that it is only 10.5 inches in diameter, as well as 4 holes in it.

We will test the new Spyker impeller very soon -- not sure if the holes will be a factor or if the smaller size will make a difference. My guess is...it will, cuz smaller impellers usually mean narrower spread pattern.
The holes are no problem..it spreads just fine
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2014, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

results using the smaller impeller

Today we tried the smaller impeller (right). Had to drill a small hole, but no big deal.

Result >> spread width was less than 2/3 normal. Maybe 10 feet at best. So we installed it on another T3000. Same thing >> narrow spread pattern. That's all we know for now.

Quote:

Old 06-26-2014, 09:07 AM
Sponsor

Was it evenly balanced?
Old 06-27-2014, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes. It spread evenly on both sides. Just way narrow.

NOTE:

1) We still have the Spyker 220 electric (huge) hopper that we used back in the 1990's -- it spreads very far & wide, and even on both sides. We stopped using it cuz it was a "spread only" unit (no weed spray option).

2) We are still using a couple of Spyker 288 "push spreaders" (discontinued). Our 288's spread evenly & much wider than our "stand-on spreader/sprayer" units currently do. Go figure.

Been using Spykers for a very long time (much longer than anybody else in our market). Main reasons: wide spread/nice overlap/never any streaking.

Here's the Spyker 220. Spreads probably 20 feet. Also spreads evenly. Note the "impeller"....... 4 straight fins..........

Please let me know what you come up with. We can test ANY part you send our way.

Thanks much, Larry

p.s. for all Nebraska viewers: the pictures look upside down, but it's cuz the spreader is stored upside down.
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2014, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Today we tried the smaller impeller (right). Had to drill a small hole, but no big deal.

Result >> spread width was less than 2/3 normal. Maybe 10 feet at best. So we installed it on another T3000. Same thing >> narrow spread pattern. That's all we know for now.
Can't you speed it up to make it spread wider?

Terry