Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-16-2014, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Nice trailer! I've been pretty busy so far this season, a lot of repairs to the driveways which slows me down. The wind is a real pain as well. How do you quick fittings work? Did you buy the stuff at TSC? I just installed a shorter wand so it is easier to use with one hand while holding the guard with the other, but it is a pain once the edging is done.

With all the repairs, I have been troubled figuring out when to spray after the repairs are done. Small cracks are easy but its the big cracks and depressions that are killer. Still have not figured out the best and quickest way to get them done and then spray. Costs money to drive back multiple times and people don't want to pay much money for the repairs (most think it is included!) most of my competitors just spray, no repairs and now I see why.

Hope the weather starts to work in our favour!
Old 06-16-2014, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks , it is a 6x10 with v-nose , perfect size for me . Bought high pressure flat-faced quick couplers at a industrial hose place, expensive $200.00 but work great. I only spray myself , like you said nobody wants to pay to fix cracks properly . Had to postpone 3 days now just too windy. Will post pictures of inside trailer soon.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a normal wand from pro-tect and spray with 1 hand to do the edges, while the other hand holds my boards. Just gotta build those muscles in your right arm first to handle that wand lol. But yea turning down the psi can help too when doing the edging.

You gotta learn to sell your services, cracks are very essential, I know they take a lot of time to do properly but if you charge accordingly your still making money.

I just sprayed 12 driveways yesterday by myself, only 3 of them got hot rubberized crack repairs included. I don't start my crack kettle for less than 50$.

One of them was a tiny single car driveway, told him 50$ extra to repair 3 cracks, probably 3 linear feet each. Just starting heating the machine while I was out prepping other driveways, then once the machine was hot it took me another 5mins to fill up the cracks.

For major cracked driveways, I usually give them a price for sealing, and one for sealing + cracks, but I always show them which cracks I will be fixing and which one I wont.
Complete lawn care services
Old 06-17-2014, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Member

You bought seal-rite system a while ago , are you using it or just spraying Blackmac ?
Old 06-17-2014, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Just received ceramic tips from Pro-tect , will have to wait until the end of the week until everything drys out.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Glad to hear it only takes a little muscle. Have you guys had any luck sealing over cold patch? So far so good with my attempts, but I let them sit a couple weeks before spraying. I've been thinking of trying to spray sooner, but have not hear anyone do it sooner than 2-3 weeks. I have been using a lot of it this spring, looks good but cutting out the old stuff is a pain and expensive.

Did you guys get any tornado's up there in Meaford? Looks like Angus got hit. I grew up in Wasaga. How much territory do you cover? I stick to Hamilton, Burlington and Oakville. Lots of the scammers with flyers around, but so far my customers see the value in my offering.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Pictures of pressure gauge
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2014, 07:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's getting there, all my missing parts should be coming next Tuesday. My welder is going to start fabricating some racks and tool box early next week. I will post a picture of the trailer once its all finished, can't wait to use it, this product will beat Blackmac in every possible way.
Attached Images

Complete lawn care services
Old 06-19-2014, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Nice! How does the price compare to Blackmac?

Shawzer, you system looks showroom shape. I like the way you setup the trailer. I have mine all in the back of my 2005 F150 under a cap. Can't tell its there, which is what I like, but since my F150 is the daily driver I pay for it in Gas! I want to get a trailer, I will start looking for next season.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Member

What is the name of the product that is better than Blackmac ?