Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-17-2014, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

had my mechanic look at my machine today and he replaced part #121-9100 sprocket assembly. Part was still under warrenty. It was mimicking a sloppy bearing and I was starting to feel a slight vibration in the machine that was not normal. Mechanic said that to date he had not seen that problem on any other machine. I was happy to see that it was not a spindle.

"non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other livings beings, we are still savages. THOMAS EDISON
Old 06-17-2014, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I thought, I read through this entire thread, but I might have missed this. I purchased the Exmark 30 in April 2014. It works great , but recently the machine has died when in use a couple of times. I replaced the fuel. Switching from Citgo to Shell, but still experience the same problem. I checked and cleaned the air filter also. Has anyone had this happen. We currently clean the bottom of the deck by turning the machine on it's side, carburetor up. I called Exmark and was told it is OK to clean it this way.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oqueoque View Post
I thought, I read through this entire thread, but I might have missed this. I purchased the Exmark 30 in April 2014. It works great , but recently the machine has died when in use a couple of times. I replaced the fuel. Switching from Citgo to Shell, but still experience the same problem. I checked and cleaned the air filter also. Has anyone had this happen. We currently clean the bottom of the deck by turning the machine on it's side, carburetor up. I called Exmark and was told it is OK to clean it this way.
I clean my deck the same way. I occasionally have the issue of it shutting off also. I believe that when the fuel starts getting low in the tank, the tank starts developing a vacuum-when it starts to die-briefly unscrew the gas cap. This usually fixes it for me

"non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other livings beings, we are still savages. THOMAS EDISON
Old 06-18-2014, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I will check the fuel level next time. I was having the same problem with my 21" honda, but since I switched the fuel and replaced the plug, the honda runs fine. They both use the BPR5ES plug and I thought it might have been some bad plugs out there. I have not switched the Exmark plug yet. I have other mowers, but only those two were doing this. I never had this happen before.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I will check the fuel level next time. I was having the same problem with my 21" honda, but since I switched the fuel and replaced the plug, the honda runs fine. They both use the BPR5ES plug and I thought it might have been some bad plugs out there. I have not switched the Exmark plug yet. I have other mowers, but only those two were doing this. I never had this happen before.
I have the exmark 21,26 and 30 that all run the same engine and pos fuel tank. I have had the same issue with all three. On my 26 I am running it with a Toro vented fuel cap

Old 06-18-2014, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
My friend is having the same problem with his ex30 and he said he took it to dealer and it has to do with a problem with the venting in the gas tank. They're ordering him a new gas tank. When he opens up the gas cap a bubble is released in the fuel filter and the mower operates and runs smooth again.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2014, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
My friend is having the same problem with his ex30 and he said he took it to dealer and it has to do with a problem with the venting in the gas tank. They're ordering him a new gas tank. When he opens up the gas cap a bubble is released in the fuel filter and the mower operates and runs smooth again.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sorry vegandude. I didn't see that you had basically given the same solution.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2014, 02:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
Sorry vegandude. I didn't see that you had basically given the same solution.
Posted via Mobile Device
Possibly, maybe, I'll think about forgiving you someday

Old 06-25-2014, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Latest update in my Exmark 30 saga, but first, here is whats happened in the last few weeks:

A few weeks back, my initial exmark 30 had drive problems, and I suspect a transmission problem. Took it to my dealer and asked if he had a new one in stock, because I needed to keep one on hand to keep up. He didn't have a new one, but I bought a used one he had on the dealer floor to get me by until mine could be fixed. Been calling them every few days, and still not fixed. They said parts were on back order, and they were still working on it which is a bummer. In the meantime, been using the used exmark 30, and have had random blade engagement problems. Odd thing, sometimes it would engage blades fully, sometimes not, sometimes they wouldn't dis engage completely either. So, I tried doing the cable adjusments, an that didn't help. Then I noticed when we pulled the blade engagement handle, the engagement linkage would be hitting the side of the mower underneath...so that appears to be stretched belt. When I removed the belt, I found the source of the problem. The pulley that is attached to the linkage that is used to tighten the upper blade belt and drive the lower blade belt/spindles and blades, has worn down AND has a flat spot in it. And the other bummer is that its some form of plastic.....really?? Plastic? Called the dealer and the parts aren't in stock so they will have to be ordered.....grrrrrrr.

Now I may have to drive 100 miles in one direction to take this back up mower to the dealer so we can attempt to make one good mower out of two that are bad, until the remainder of the parts can be ordred and come in.

I continue to post in this thread to provide others with info on the exmark 30's, and common problems that may occur. Don't get me wrong, overall I think the mowers are quite efficient, but recently im having quite a run of problems.
2013 Exmark Commercial 30
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts

2013 Stihl BR600 Backpack blower
Old 06-25-2014, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have ordered Exmark parts from here:

http://weingartz.com/parts/

Maybe they have the parts you need, maybe not. They have had the Exmark parts I ordered, and shipped them via UPS, and quickly.