Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-17-2014, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

A new truck does not turn people off.

The truck is a recognized business tool and expense.

What will turn people off is when that new truck shows up with the new non factory aftermarket wheels and tires, lifts, $$$$$$ of crap in modifications. Making the truck more of a personal vehicle/statement then really needing a work truck.

That moded truck draws just as much negative attention as if the LCO drove up in a new Corvette. Making the statement that I not only charge a lot but I am making a killing off of my customers.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
People expect a old truck to have faded paint and show some wear and tear.

Though they are turned off by the old green truck that has a blue hood, red LF fender, white LF door, stoved in RF door, and has just is covered in as much rust as paint.

Also having a nice truck does not imply that you will get rid of customers that you do not like.

Every customer that pays full price is liked.

If Landscapers would stop buying trucks that they could not afford they would not be desperate for work to make huge truck payments so they would not have to low ball. Hence no need to drop any customers because he would of not taken on any low profit customers.
You make a whole lot of assumptions.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-17-2014, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Member

New is irrelevant. Well taken care of, clean and maintained is important. You don't need to show you just drove off the car lot. You need to show that you have pride, integrity, and attention to detail. What you drag along reflects on your personality.

Dave

www.yardworketc.net
Old 06-17-2014, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:

What will turn people off is when that new truck shows up with the new non factory aftermarket wheels and tires, lifts, $$$$$$ of crap in modifications. Making the truck more of a personal vehicle/statement then really needing a work truck.

That moded truck draws just as much negative attention as if the LCO drove up in a new Corvette. Making the statement that I not only charge a lot but I am making a killing off of my customers.
I guess rsk is a bad business man. His truck is no where bear stock
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-17-2014, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:

A guy we sub for has a '14 F350 srw with a lift and fancy tires.

His business does seven figures......... the people he works for must have different opinions from yours
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-17-2014, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Member

I landed my first commercial account 4 years ago because of "IMAGE" A lady followed me for 6 miles before I stopped for gas. She was looking for a contractor for their HOA. She said my presentation was best because my vehicle and enclosed trailer were clean and tires were shiny with armour all. I landed the job then and still continue to maintain it 4 years later. Little did she know that it was my first week in business.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

That modded truck draws just as much negative attention as if the LCO drove up in a new Corvette. Making the statement that I not only charge a lot but I am making a killing off of my customers.
I don't think the part about fancy wheels is true or a lift or any of that, I think it shows customers you are busy and do a lot of work especially when they see a younger guy like myself pull in a 4 year old truck done somewhat tastefully, they think wow that young man really works hard for his stuff and must be busy. Successful people like to be around other successful people, or at least people who look somewhat successful. Especially in a nicer, newer neighborhood where keeping up with the jones is important.

this is what my buddy pulls up and does his estimates and works with as you can see. at first when first got it he used to park it and switch to his older but still nice looking 2004 regular cab 6.0 powerstroke on 20" wheels and do estimates in that and then he stopped switching and has been using his dually for estimates for a while, and honestly I don't think he's seen a change in the number of jobs he lands or not. I think the price really determines a lot he's still busy in the spring and fall and summers are slow for his tree business. and yes he's on american force 24" wheels they cost about 10k...not cheap lol and that's a f450 too one of the most badass pick up trucks you can buy.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

10k for wheels....? .......... For WHEELS? In my eyes, when I see $10,000, I see a year of daycare paid off.

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 06-20-2014, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexschultz1 View Post
10k for wheels....? .......... For WHEELS? In my eyes, when I see $10,000, I see a year of daycare paid off.
Hard work pays off.....work hard like my buddy did building his landscape company for 7 years, get 100 accounts to cut weekly, do some shrub pruning, some mulch jobs while living rent free at a girlfriends grandparents house and don't drink at all or do anything but work and save almost all your money every month and then open up a tree service, buy a bucket truck, chipper, and then buy the truck of your dreams and boat you have been looking at every morning for 10 years and you too will be able to have 10,000 wheels too, not be concerned that they cost 10k because 10k is only 2 days work. Hard work pays off...end of story. he tells me how much he did one job for and some of his jobs he does in a 2 days or 3 days are more then I'll make all month and I crack 5 figures a month usually. anyways truck and trailer appearance does look better, but once you have had the customers most of them don't care what you drive. but being young and having a truck like mine doesn't hurt one bit....my customers actually mention it too me.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Couldn't agree more, but $10,000 just seems like an obscene amount of money for wheels. It is an obscene amount of money lol. I need to start doing tree work. It would be nice to have that kind of disposable income.

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!