Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-20-2014, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Having problems edging this lawn

Hey guys not sure what to do here or if I have any other options Im useing a stihl edger The property has.a lot of area that should be edges long drive way , walk way in front of the house and and large walk way in the back that also wraps around the side. The problem is when they formed the ashphault walkways / driveways they must not have formed them correctly and the ashphault actually goes down under the soil and grass. Lol it's hard to explane so bare with me. So when I edge along what looks like the end of the walk way and the beginning of the grass all I'm doing is hitting ashphault and ruineing my blade. So this forces me to extend the edge out past the ashphault and now when you look at it there a gap or trench if you will from we're the grass starts and the sidewalk stops and this gap looks likes its just dirt but under that dirt is soil ashphault. I've even tryed to do it by hand with hand edgers and shovels. What are my options here I can snap a pic later if needed

Thanks
Brian
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-20-2014, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thats how a lot of Asphalt is. I don't think they use forms and like most materials it forms kind of like a pyramid (at least the angle) when poured out. When they redid our driveway they actually dug out the one edge and I had to buy dirt to fill it in; same kind of edge you're talking about.

Can you just string edge it? Otherwise you'll need to hold the edger at an angle or try to not cut too deep by angling it so it's shallower.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Another option is to get an edger similar to what we have that is wheeled and you can easily adjust angle and depth.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

you can't really edge asphalt because it doesn't have a straight edge to follow. just use the trimmer to keep the grass where it currently is keeping it from growing any farther over the asphalt.

depending on the situation you can sometimes just spray the grass on the edge of the asphalt to keep it from growing through the asphalt.