Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-20-2014, 03:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Concrete Curbing

Guys I just purchased equipment to lay concrete landscape curbing. It will be a part time job, since i have a full time job. Im looking for any kind of advice on this, such as prices, advertising, or anything else. So far the biggest issue i have found is nobody knows about it, I will be the only one in the area doing it, except for one other that only does one or two a year at best and he is actually trying to get me some of his. Anyway, whats you opinion on the business? Im also looking for anyone that does this as a business already that i may be able to get some advice from. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a company local to me that I sub to and his prices range from 3.50 a linear for no color, stamp or seal. Up to 7.00 with color, choice of stamp and seal. Doesn't seem to be a fortune in it for the amount of work, but may be a good side gig. Your market me demand a little higher price too, that's just the going rate around here.
Good luck with your venture! Hope it leads to excellent profits!
Old 06-20-2014, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I looked into it myself and a few things I found out were that it's expensive compared to other options so it's a little hard to sell and that many people aren't looking for something that permanent so you are going to have to look for more commercial type work I imagine and sell them on the cost savings.

On the other hand, you can do more than just landscape edging with the equipment so perhaps look into doing parking lot wheel stops or other curbing projects.

Very interested to hear what other have to say. Wouldn't mind getting a machine myself.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys so far for the advice. Whats a good way to advertise, I have placed some brochures in some paperboxes so far, and before the debate comes up that is not illegal here, i have already checked with the local Commonwealths Attorney.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-20-2014, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Get some small signs made to place in the beds after your done. Word of mouth will be the best help for you. The guy around here appears to be doing well with the business.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Gardens View Post
I have a company local to me that I sub to and his prices range from 3.50 a linear for no color, stamp or seal. Up to 7.00 with color, choice of stamp and seal. Doesn't seem to be a fortune in it for the amount of work, but may be a good side gig. Your market me demand a little higher price too, that's just the going rate around here.
Good luck with your venture! Hope it leads to excellent profits!
Same prices here. It seems to be fading in popularity around here though. Personally I love mine when its edged nice and tight around it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-20-2014, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Same prices here. It seems to be fading in popularity around here though. Personally I love mine; when its edged nice and tight around it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Same situation here. It was a fad for a while and now not so much.

If the other guy in town wants to give you referrals, then that would be a red flag for me if he doesn't see value in it.

Are area basically sees brick/mortar edging for hard edging. Much more attractive than concrete curbing, easily manipulated if changes need to be made down the road, and not much cost involved in terms of equipment needed. On top of it, we can be in the 10/ft range with it.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-20-2014, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Member

What do u mean by brick or mortar eding, do you have any pics?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-20-2014, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Id put together a nice brochure and a photo album with large pics of finished jobs. Then Id got out and knock on doors on Saturdays.

It seems to be more popular in "garden home" sub divisions.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Its still cheaper than the stack and cap systens which require cutting and tend to be so tall when done they look out of place. If you could hook up with a builder that would be the ticket. It easier when the strip of sod is removed first.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Patriot Services; 06-20-2014 at 11:40 PM.