Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-18-2014, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some people can edge with a trimmer, some can't. I know for a fact that I can edge with one, many time looks better than some edging with a dedicated edger. Of course I have done this for many years, and was once not very good nor efficient at all with it. You probably don't want to expect employees to be able to efficiently and neatly edge with a trimmer. My one client was so amazed I had been using(when I was the one on the property), a trimmer to edge, he said "wow you have a steady hand", and he is a very picky ex-marine(extra cool guy). He had stated at the beginning that he wanted a blade used for edging, so I told him that I would always have an employee use what he wanted, and let him know that I wouldn't, and explained why...he was fine with that as long as it looked above par. He has been more than pleased for the past two seasons. To reiterate, I wouldn't expect an employee to be able to edge as well as I can with a trimmer, but it would be a plus to have as a skill in their back pocket.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRocker View Post
Some people can edge with a trimmer, some can't. I know for a fact that I can edge with one, many time looks better than some edging with a dedicated edger. Of course I have done this for many years, and was once not very good nor efficient at all with it. You probably don't want to expect employees to be able to efficiently and neatly edge with a trimmer. My one client was so amazed I had been using(when I was the one on the property), a trimmer to edge, he said "wow you have a steady hand", and he is a very picky ex-marine(extra cool guy). He had stated at the beginning that he wanted a blade used for edging, so I told him that I would always have an employee use what he wanted, and let him know that I wouldn't, and explained why...he was fine with that as long as it looked above par. He has been more than pleased for the past two seasons. To reiterate, I wouldn't expect an employee to be able to edge as well as I can with a trimmer, but it would be a plus to have as a skill in their back pocket.
Yes, I expect a maintenance worker to be proficient with a trimmer ( if they say they have experience) otherwise I can not hire them.
Most of my account properties are well under 10K square feet lots, and we can't spend 15 minutes on edging when it should take 5 minutes.
I've taught my workers how to edge left handed and walking forward.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...10#post4099310

Ex-mark 60" mulch kit with oregon high lift blades for sale MAKE OFFER! http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=364386

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t...ighlight=agape

Old 05-18-2014, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes Agape, I meant, I don't expect them walking in, to be as good as I am with it. I know some experienced guys have only used blades to edge, due to the system they were in previously. Certainly I would want them to be trainable to adapt to quickly turn the trimmer over to walk an edge, then resume to trimming, as required by the property.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Employees are always going to be the toughest part of this business. And, you really can't blame them for not wanting to stick around. They could get a push mower, trimmer, and blower and make more money on their own than they can working for us. This the is the main reason I am trying to get out of business. I never intended to be in year 11 of business and still be wearing all the hats. I wanted to run and manage a business. Let' face it, we are not dealing with A++ quality individuals when hiring in this line of work to begin with. Year after year I have worked individual after individual and I would say about 20% have been decent. The best one I had stuck with me 2 years, and when he left about a year ago, it has been nothing but madness and chaos ever since. We continued to grow over those 2 years, and now 3 employees later, I still can't get someone to get back to the same rythm we had. Their is some good advice given here though. Still, your best employees are just here because they are down on their luck. They will not stay. They would be crazy to do so. The rest are the same..Either they are on drugs, have no car/license, have something wrong with them, or have some attitude issue and can't hold down a job. Joy joy....I don't see how the larger companies do it. I have tried and tried....Best of luck!
Old 05-26-2014, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landscaper22 View Post
Employees are always going to be the toughest part of this business. And, you really can't blame them for not wanting to stick around. They could get a push mower, trimmer, and blower and make more money on their own than they can working for us. This the is the main reason I am trying to get out of business. I never intended to be in year 11 of business and still be wearing all the hats. I wanted to run and manage a business. Let' face it, we are not dealing with A++ quality individuals when hiring in this line of work to begin with. Year after year I have worked individual after individual and I would say about 20% have been decent. The best one I had stuck with me 2 years, and when he left about a year ago, it has been nothing but madness and chaos ever since. We continued to grow over those 2 years, and now 3 employees later, I still can't get someone to get back to the same rythm we had. Their is some good advice given here though. Still, your best employees are just here because they are down on their luck. They will not stay. They would be crazy to do so. The rest are the same..Either they are on drugs, have no car/license, have something wrong with them, or have some attitude issue and can't hold down a job. Joy joy....I don't see how the larger companies do it. I have tried and tried....Best of luck!
How much were you paying the one who stuck around for 2 years?

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...10#post4099310

Ex-mark 60" mulch kit with oregon high lift blades for sale MAKE OFFER! http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=364386

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t...ighlight=agape

Old 05-27-2014, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in the process of looking for a few new guys. I put an ad out and have had a few emails where they left their name and contact info. So before I get back to anyone I've been googling and looking up Facebook pages, etc. I've come across some real winners...arrests for child cruelty, burglary, Facebook pages that have all sorts of crap on them. I can look past a lot of things, but a burglary conviction, and the details that went along with the child cruelty story just don't sit well.

These guys might be awesome workers, but not on my crew.

Where do you draw the line?
Old 05-27-2014, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agape View Post
Same question went through my head.

Why did you wait to offer him more money before he left? Specially when in your own words you could afford to pay him more.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agape View Post
If I remember correctly I think it was just under $12/hr when he left. But, he left for a job starting at $18/hr in a factory with full benefits. No way I could match that. Employee pay is also one of those things that will vary by area. I know the largest LCO in town starts at $8 or a little less. I mean, why the heck would you cut grass for $8 an hour when you could find easier work that pays the same? Although some people aren't worth $2/hr.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Unfortunately I feel I may be having to let a guy go. He's getting a little lazy and will be shipping off to boot camp in November. I feel I may need another year round guy and not sure how easy lawn guys are to find in the fall/winter especially if I need to trim back to under 40 hrs in the winter.

Just hard to drop a guy and hire a new one when things are full throttle.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
You said "edge" and then mentioned trimmer.

Do you mean weed whacker/trim or do you mean literally edging, like with a dedicated head?

Depending on the past experience of the worker, this could mean very different things.

IF you tell me edge, Im going to look at your truck expecting to see a Kombi unit or a dedicated edger.
If I don't see one, Im going to think you're a quack and call "trimming" , edging and probably not want to work there in the first place.
Be careful of who you chase way by being over critical. Let someone mow a whole lawn, don't micro manage and dictate.

Mow/Trim/Blow is one service.

Edging is another.
I make sure to ask & let them know I expect them to know how to "edge with a trimmer". Is that better?

I've had a few dedicated edgers over the years, but when we had all our handhelds stolen off truck, and we had to make do until the insurance check came... we edged with a string trimmer and it looked better, saved time/a trip to the truck, and made more room on the trimmer trap for another "trimmer". So, when the insurance check did come.... I didn't replace the dedicated "edger" with a new one.
2003 eXmark Turf Tracer HP 36"/15hp Kaw
Stihl SG 20 Backpack sprayer
Stihl handhelds
Stihl HL-100
Stihl BR600 Magnums
Need a good Stihl chainsaw