Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-15-2014, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
Do your tractor supply stores not sell them ?
Posted via Mobile Device
How would I know? I don't live on a farm, so...

Actually, if they weren't legal for sale in PA before, they wouldn't be found in Tractor Supply here either. Apparently the law changed, or they found a way to slip by it somehow.
It's worth a call though because after shipping you're looking at almost $20 for a stupid spout. At that price I can just get a No-Spill.
There's a Tractor Supply about a half hour from here, so I'll look into it.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

They should be legal. The carb laws do not outlaw the use of the old ones. Just outlaws the manufacturer. The spouts from tractor supply are meant for the repair of the old ones already owned
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-15-2014, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I forgot to share what happened with these no vent things

Quote:
And yes, they suck. And are dangerous. The men writing these laws know nothing about gas cans. The gas still evaporates. Only now it's dangerously put under pressure
Posted via Mobile Device
Hopefully I will not make this mistake again, but I forgot that the can was under pressure and (while the spout was actually still working) tried to put some in my mower without releasing the lid first. There was so much pressure that the gas sprayed out and back up at my face!

I was very lucky that I did not get gas in my eyes. I think it was because of my hat, but this is a really horrible design. Mine broke anyway, so unless I get that replacement spout thing, I have to take the cap off, but even if they hadn't broken, if I had to loosen the cap to relieve the pressure I might as well just not use the spout anyway.

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 06-16-2014, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMowerMan2003 View Post
Hopefully I will not make this mistake again, but I forgot that the can was under pressure and (while the spout was actually still working) tried to put some in my mower without releasing the lid first. There was so much pressure that the gas sprayed out and back up at my face!

I was very lucky that I did not get gas in my eyes. I think it was because of my hat, but this is a really horrible design. Mine broke anyway, so unless I get that replacement spout thing, I have to take the cap off, but even if they hadn't broken, if I had to loosen the cap to relieve the pressure I might as well just not use the spout anyway.
Happen to me one time also. Sprayed from my tailgate all the way over the cab. Been sitting in the bed all day with the sun beating on it. Same can just busted the other day inside my box truck. Now I have the no spill can for handhelds.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2014, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

how do no skill cans keep the pressure from building up just like any other sealed can
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2014, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
how do no skill cans keep the pressure from building up just like any other sealed can
Posted via Mobile Device
Nothing I'm aware of/ They swell and contract with temperature changes - more so when there isn't much gas in the can. (fumes expand/contract)
That's really the only drawback to these cans.

Not sure if they "self-vent" at a certain point or not. I sort of doubt it because that would defeat the purpose of the regulations.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
You just push button a little and it vents.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2014, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
You just push button a little and it vents.
Posted via Mobile Device
I guess. They are the only good thing to come from all this EPA stuff. If you don't have one for handhelds you need to try one out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2014, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
Those look reasonable. The only drawback is the funnel is open on both ends so dirt and dust sticks to it. For mix gas this is an even bigger issue. If your tank is full any gas still in the funnel is going to get spilled the second you remove the funnel from the tank. They basically took the same style tank they have made for years and put a spout on it.

As a kid I think my dad had that same can minus the spout in the early 80's. I don't think they need to worry patenting a funnel stuck on a gas can.
This is what I have, no funnel issue: http://www.amazon.com/Justrite-AccuF.../dp/B003FZB3M6
Old 06-25-2014, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Too much trouble and money, I done tried all these cans, even military ones at great cost.... Now I just use a regular blitz can with the standard spout, drill a small vent hole near the back of the handle and stick a screw in that. When I need to refuel I pull the screw out so air can get in, there exists no way to fill faster other than a not-spill-proof racing can.