Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 06-25-2014, 07:25 PM
larryinalabama larryinalabama is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ragland Al
Posts: 10,796
Ill just agree to disagree, most small businesses that have employees close when the owner dies.

I could sell my business the same as you fellers with employees can sell your business.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-25-2014, 07:31 PM
PaperCutter PaperCutter is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 1,401
There's nothing insulting about pointing out the difference between self-employed and being a business owner. Whether it's a lawn care guy, or a plumber, or a dentist, or an attorney - if the business IS the owner, it's a job we've created for ourselves. I fall under self-employed as opposed to being a business owner. Still beats punching a clock though.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-25-2014, 07:56 PM
larryinalabama larryinalabama is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ragland Al
Posts: 10,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperCutter View Post
There's nothing insulting about pointing out the difference between self-employed and being a business owner. Whether it's a lawn care guy, or a plumber, or a dentist, or an attorney - if the business IS the owner, it's a job we've created for ourselves. I fall under self-employed as opposed to being a business owner. Still beats punching a clock though.
I look at it different, and respect the feller selling icecream from a van. To say that a one man business owner is not a "Entreprenuer" is pure Bunk.

I have friends that have solo operated business that made literally fortunes, ..... not in LawnCare lol.

I have a close friend who has built a "nut and bolt" route and makes 6 figures that start with a 7 per year, and hes SOLO.

My Uncles wifes brother has deformed hands, and has become a MULTI Millionaire in his small shop sharpening tools.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-25-2014, 08:23 PM
tonygreek's Avatar
tonygreek tonygreek is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 2,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
I look at it different, and respect the feller selling icecream from a van.
Larry, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you're familiar with the term "straw man argument"? Your ongoing, meandering, thread regarding "respect" is just that. Using that as your rallying point, while trying to support the unsupportable, is a silly, troll move that is only made palatable by your repeated use of the term "fellers". Plus, we all love and respect the ice cream man. There is no argument there. I mean, for God's sake, he brings Bomb Pops to my house.
__________________
a guy who knows the lawn industry, branding, and web strategy
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-25-2014, 08:26 PM
chefj chefj is online now
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Braselton GA
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmo View Post
At this point I don't view myself as an entrepreneur this is just a simple conversation and I feel like I'm being attacked. I was only asking a question guys.
Posted via Mobile Device
your question, in this forum, is quite provocative.......
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-25-2014, 08:31 PM
whiffyspark whiffyspark is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chesapeake beach
Posts: 5,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperCutter View Post
There's nothing insulting about pointing out the difference between self-employed and being a business owner. Whether it's a lawn care guy, or a plumber, or a dentist, or an attorney - if the business IS the owner, it's a job we've created for ourselves. I fall under self-employed as opposed to being a business owner. Still beats punching a clock though.
Good post there
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-25-2014, 08:35 PM
larryinalabama larryinalabama is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ragland Al
Posts: 10,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
Larry, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you're familiar with the term "straw man argument"? Your ongoing, meandering, thread regarding "respect" is just that. Using that as your rallying point, while trying to support the unsupportable, is a silly, troll move that is only made palatable by your repeated use of the term "fellers". Plus, we all love and respect the ice cream man. There is no argument there. I mean, for God's sake, he brings Bomb Pops to my house.
Sounds like a bunch of Wizard of Oz garbage, the movie was fiction.

Successful people come in all forms shapes and sizes, a business is a business solo or the Ford motor company.

"Fellers" is a common term in the Deep South, I could have used guys, friends, peoples, and so on. Its not word to shake someone up.

Last edited by larryinalabama; 06-25-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-25-2014, 09:16 PM
PaperCutter PaperCutter is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 1,401
I dunno Tony, we used to call the ice cream man in our neighborhood "rip-off ronnie". Not that he ever ripped anyone off, as far as I knew. Kids are jerks.

Pointing out a difference in business models isn't a value judgement, Larry. It's like saying "that there's a hamburger because it's ground beef on a bun, and that's a corndog because it's a hot dog on a stick that someone dipped in batter and deep fried." Both are pretty awesome but some folks may prefer one over the other, and it's useful to know the difference. My wife won't let me sleep in the same bed if I've had a corn dog (admittedly, for good reason) so it's pretty crucial to know what I'm ordering.

How your business is structured has nothing to do with how professional you are or how much money you can make (well, to a point, depending on the industry). But it is a huge factor in your overall plan.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-25-2014, 09:17 PM
PaperCutter PaperCutter is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Sounds like a bunch of Wizard of Oz garbage, the movie was fiction.
until you can show me that flying monkeys never existed, I will believe otherwise.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-25-2014, 09:26 PM
larryinalabama larryinalabama is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ragland Al
Posts: 10,796
When someone asks me "What do you do" .....I tell them Im a "straw man" <just kidding>...........I don't tell them Im self employed, I tell them I have a lawncare business.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:43 PM.

Page generated in 0.09513 seconds with 9 queries