Register free!

Old 06-12-2014, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Z Sprayer help

I am new to the z sprayer had PG for years. I'm on my 3rd round and noticed 2 lawns were striped. I always ran my PG with about a foot overlap and never had a problem. Z sprayer says to throw back to tires but if your rates are right you should never have a problem with a foot over lap.

Here is where I'm stuck. I think some of my settings were off on some lawns when I was first learning on the new z sprayer.

I applied 25-0-6 and I was looking to get 12500 per bag

speed was set at 5mph but avg is 3.8mph lawns are 8000 and smaller.

spread with 8 ft each side of machine.

I had the setting set on 4.75 on the spiker. I just found out is low. But 95% of the lawns I did are great no stripes and I never throw back to the tires.

I guess what I'm looking for are some rough setting to get me close to a 12,500 sq ft bag. Then I can make the fine adj. based off of the sqft of the lawn I'm doing

I talked to some guys today and they said to add 2 to the settings off the bag.

Thanks for the input
Old 06-12-2014, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

If you are getting a darker green stripe, then you are overlapping too much. You are spreading to the center of the tire track, so the darker stripe area is getting fert from the center of the track your on plus from the pass on the right and from the pass on the left. The dark stripe is getting hit from 3 passes. Turn down your spinner dial a little.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Probably be about 5 3/4 on the spreader setting to achieve 12,500 sq ft, speed 5mph, spinner 2.5-3 depending on yard. I throw back to the first tire track, not center. I have NEVER had a problem striping even on the first app of a starving lawn. I have found if you're under applying then there is a tendency to want to stripe. There is basically a certain amount of oroduct needed to result in uniform coverage, smooth color, no striping (that's the 12,500 sq ft per bag or 15k, 10k, depending on the round.) Less than that and you run the chance of striping.
You can usually apply at a higher rate and you are just wasting material yet getting the same results. Then you start to get to the point where you will burn the lawn. (I'm sure you know all of this, but it gets me to my point.)
I have found the difference between striping and not striping can be thin. The difference between not striping and burning is much larger. My point is if you're putting material down at the proper application rate there is plenty of room for error to not be afraid to overlap and fill in the voids when you circle back around for another pass.
...if any of that makes sense.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2014, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Take a careful look at the pattern. Is it even from left to right? Take a careful look at the stripes--(with special emphasis on the first pass), you should be able to tell if its too much overlap--or--is the spinner throwing too much to the left? Humid weather makes the granules sticky--pattern may change.

Proper way is to place 15 paper plates across the cement and drive across them. Count the particles in each plate and make a chart--adjust--try again.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Member

My z spray is 8 yes old but you can adjust the throw patten.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't even know it was possible to stripe a lawn with a ride on?? Never done it with my old Centri nor my Mag. If you use a high % slow release N product you are not going to get striping. Works for me anyway.
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13