Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-19-2014, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Member

JF, do you get a lot of attention from the MTO with those labels all over your trailer?

Also, have you applied the sealer over cold patch? If so, how long did you wait after applying the cold patch?
Old 06-19-2014, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

@pockets: Yes sometimes, but I have the all proper documents in the trailer at all times, my TDG license, my MSDS for the blackmac and hot crack repairs material. Company insurance documents etc.

All my tanks are legal, trailer is ventilated so they don't stop me for long.

the price is like 85 cents per liters + taxes, mostly because the equipment to run it is a lot more expansive, the trailer I have is worth 18k + taxes.

Take a look at Seal-Masters, they make all the products, they have tons of products you can choose from.
Complete lawn care services
Old 06-19-2014, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes Seal-master requires adgitation to mix the product with water and sand and yes the proper equipment is expensive . Have you spray it before , curious to know how and why it is better. Any water based sealer up here does not seem to last long with our winters. I will be curious to see how it performs for you . Good luck.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For residential driveways, black mac is ok, it will stand out for about 2 years.

If the driveway has never been sealed before, blackmac will only last 1 season, whether you spray thick or not, I have tested this out and I can confirm. for commercial parking lots, or any asphalt that has a lot of traffic, blackmac will not stand a chance. One of my competition sprays a water base product, with no sand, the stuff will still look black after 3 years its been done.

It not just regular water base stuff similar to the home hardware or Canadian tire stuff, seal-master makes it, they have engineers to test out this product on different aspect, and it has been tested out in Canada. I did a lot of research before putting money into this.

One good thing about this product is you can also apply 2 coats within 30min-1hour of drying time before coats, so your product can last even longer. You can walk on it after 2-3 hours, and the final product becomes a jet-black appearance, not a shiny look that you get with blackmac for 2-3 weeks.

Like I said, its a good product for residential driveways that get it done every 2 years, but I really got fed up with newly driveways that had never been sealed, I knew my blackmac was going to soak in into the asphalt, and always explain that to the customer and mention to them that they should get a 2nd coat the year after, then they can start doing it every 2 years. But even knowing that, I would spray a friken thick amount of sealer to try to make it last longer then my competition, since I was charging more per square foot then them, have proper equipment, image etc. But even then, if I sprayed a driveway in spring 2013, by fall 2014, almost 70% of the sealer is gone.

I did 4 major banks around my local town, all where over 10k square feet, I made some good cash, but totally lost my chance to re-do these banks later on. I sprayed a lot of sealer, especially at the entrance, but still, when there is 20-40 cars going into the bank everyday, blackmac can't compete with that. The parking spaces don't look so bad, but the main entrances are faded out completely. Now the GM of the bank has hired the other guy who sprays water base stuff to redo the 4 banks this year (not even a year after I sprayed them) and his stuff is going to stay like that for another 2-3 years easily.

It's simple, I want to stand out in this business, I want to use a different and better products that very few have. There is only 1 other guy I know who doesn't use blackmac, not much compared to 10-15 guys I see per summer using blackmac.

If I can charge the same price as I was with blackmac, but this product will have a better finish product look, plus it will stay jet-black for 3 years, I think putting myself in a client's perspective, it's a very good deal, good way for repeat customers.

On the other hand with blackmac, if your charging 20-25 cents a square foot, good luck finding repeat customers, I lost of ton this summer due to competition. Because most customers wants their driveways to be sprayed for the cheapest, so they don't mind paying 10-12cents every year.
Complete lawn care services
Old 06-20-2014, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree Black-mac will not last on a parking lot because of higher traffic and larger snowplowing equipment. Years of homeowners using waterbased bucket crap from the local stores that cracks and peels within months of applying has turned them off on water based sealer . I know seal-master is not the same material but around here would be a really hard sell . Hard to get 12 - 17 cents here so no way are they going to pay 25 cents . I almost purchased a seal-master 300 trailer [ $10,000.00 plus ] but after thinking about storing material in heated garage , paying for shipping of trailer and barrels of material in usa funds I changed my mind . Cleaning out the tank would be nasty every year plus mixing water- sand- material is just more work . I understand what you are saying J F and wish you good luck . In a few years maybe around here people will slowly understand that bucket crap is a waste of time and all water based sealer is not the same. Until then I will Keep spraying Black-mac , slowing trying to get 15 - 20 cents .. Keep us informed about how your spraying is going.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Picture of 4700 sq. ft driveway
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Full page photo.pdf (1.57 MB, 32 views)
Old 06-30-2014, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Can not seem to catch a break weather wise for sealing driveways around here , how is it going for everyone else ?
Old 07-02-2014, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I took the weekend off, went down to Kentucky. Boy was it hot! Sounds like it was pretty warm here as well. My backlog is huge, and I am concerned these guys with carts are going to take away some of my business. They have been all around and so far I have not had anyone cancel. These guys spray in any weather!! Oh well.

What is your cutoff temperature (high side) for spraying? Have seen a lot of driveway done by the competition and there are tire marks on most. Looks like it was sprayed too thick, or the customer did not wait long enough. I stopped and asked one of them and they said the were told to stay off for 24-36 hours, they stayed off for a little over two days and they still have marks. Never told them I was spraying, just that I was interested in who did the work and if they were happy. Will get them next time!!
Old 07-02-2014, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Member

I try to spray when temp. is 20 - 30 c. but if it is humid I will postpone . I find when humid it takes longer to dry . I always tell people to stay off driveway for minimum 48 hours . If driveway is still tacky after 2 days I tell them to run garden hose on it for 20 minutes , only had a couple drives like that . I say it was combination of humid temp. and spray too thick.. I would sooner postpone then have someone track into there house.. Some people can hardly wait 24 hours.. Plus when it is real humid I have more fun in my cool basement having a beer.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Member

How did you make out this weekend? Weather was cool, and no rain here. It was a little windy but I was lucky most of the work was in a protected area. I need to get a trailer, having everything in the back of my F-150 with a cap on it takes so long to get out my stuff. Next year I will have a trailer!

Speaking of that, do you know the dry weight of the protect system? The empty tank, motor and gearbox?

I also forgot to ask, how long did it take for you to complete that large 4700sqft driveway? Looks nice!!