Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 06-30-2014, 07:36 PM
locallawncare.ca locallawncare.ca is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ontario
Posts: 700
I think 1 year is the norm, the nursery here give a 2 year warranty, so 1 year is included and for the 2nd year I would just charge for the removal and replacement, seems fair. However many wholesale nurseries do not offer any warranty, these are large suppliers that are not open to the public and see to cities, builders, landscapers, etc. they do have much better pricing and lots of selection in terms of sizes. Not sure what I would do if I bought wholesale, another nursery gives a 15% off contractor price but this voids the warranty which makes no sense.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-30-2014, 11:49 PM
Steiner Steiner is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Central NY
Posts: 386
my take:

From my contract:

The plant materials are guaranteed for 30 days provided they are watered and cared for by the homeowner as specified by the tags and/or contractor’s verbal and or written instructions. Major acts of god including but not limited to drought, extreme heat, high winds etc. will not be covered. Plant material installed from July 1st, to September 15th will only include a 15 day warranty. Turf or grass seeded areas is not covered by any warranty or guarantee.

No nurseries give a warranty to any wholesale buyer here, but I will offer a premium warranty if customers ask/push for it and has the cash to make it happen. It does not happen often.

My premium warranty formula: cost of plant stock x 50%

My company failure rate of plant stock is usually around 10 percent but it is hard to assign blame and I don't have time to play the blame game.

If I am on the job the failure rate is almost zero, but then you know....

You guys track your plant failure rate right?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-01-2014, 01:44 AM
TPendagast's Avatar
TPendagast TPendagast is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wasilla, AK
Posts: 3,695
a "good" install costs a lot more than "the lawn boy put a plant in for me"

What's the reason for this?

the actual risk of the warranty is charged for as part of the job.

Seriously. It's true.

Under the Vanderkooi estimation module there is a portion of the system that asks you how much you want to include to charge for the warranty.

Because that's what most people do, who provide one.

In summary, you actually are supposed to charge for a warranty.

Example:

Say a shrub costs you $35.
you bill put materials at a 20% increase.
Your labor rate is $45.
Minimum one hour labor.
so the plant is 42, the labor is 45
So one shrub is $87.00 installed, no warranty.
that also doesn't include procurement or delivery.

but you can also install shrubs at a rate of .2, meaning you could plant 5 an hour.

So lets look at a warrantied cotoneaster hedge install.

25 #5 container installed cotoneaster hedge.

25 plants:
.2 install
.1 procurement/delivery
25 x .3 x $45 = $337.50 Labor.

$28.00 per plant (contractor price)
20% mark up
or $840.00 materials.

(additional materials are needed for proper install under warrantable conditions)

Fertilizer tablets, Mulch, peat enriched planting soil.
Another $120.00 materials, another $100 labor
another $50 to hand water in the plants.

Total= $1447.50

THEN add 12- 15% for warranty.

$1664.00

that's your price. WITH a warranty of one year, written, in their hands, with exclusions like, dog urine, acts of god, lack of maintenance/neglect and salt damage from snow, insects, diseases etc.

the standard guy is going to take 25 plants @ $35 retail and multiply it by 1.5 and say $1,312.00 installed.

The standard guy doesn't know what he's doing and take a higher risk of having plants die under warranty, which he doesn't supply in the first place, and doesn't know to charge for.

standard guy is going to get the job because he's cheaper…


Warranties worth their salt aren't free folks.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-01-2014, 11:01 PM
Green-Man Green-Man is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sunny South Florida
Posts: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
a "good" install costs a lot more than "the lawn boy put a plant in for me"

What's the reason for this?

the actual risk of the warranty is charged for as part of the job.

Seriously. It's true.

Under the Vanderkooi estimation module there is a portion of the system that asks you how much you want to include to charge for the warranty.

Because that's what most people do, who provide one.

In summary, you actually are supposed to charge for a warranty.

Example:

Say a shrub costs you $35.
you bill put materials at a 20% increase.
Your labor rate is $45.
Minimum one hour labor.
so the plant is 42, the labor is 45
So one shrub is $87.00 installed, no warranty.
that also doesn't include procurement or delivery.

but you can also install shrubs at a rate of .2, meaning you could plant 5 an hour.

So lets look at a warrantied cotoneaster hedge install.

25 #5 container installed cotoneaster hedge.

25 plants:
.2 install
.1 procurement/delivery
25 x .3 x $45 = $337.50 Labor.

$28.00 per plant (contractor price)
20% mark up
or $840.00 materials.

(additional materials are needed for proper install under warrantable conditions)

Fertilizer tablets, Mulch, peat enriched planting soil.
Another $120.00 materials, another $100 labor
another $50 to hand water in the plants.

Total= $1447.50

THEN add 12- 15% for warranty.

$1664.00

that's your price. WITH a warranty of one year, written, in their hands, with exclusions like, dog urine, acts of god, lack of maintenance/neglect and salt damage from snow, insects, diseases etc.

the standard guy is going to take 25 plants @ $35 retail and multiply it by 1.5 and say $1,312.00 installed.

The standard guy doesn't know what he's doing and take a higher risk of having plants die under warranty, which he doesn't supply in the first place, and doesn't know to charge for.

standard guy is going to get the job because he's cheaper…


Warranties worth their salt aren't free folks.
Very awesome walk through this will help me in the future!
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-02-2014, 12:25 AM
Snyder's Lawn Inc's Avatar
Snyder's Lawn Inc Snyder's Lawn Inc is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kirksville Mo
Posts: 3,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Lawn Care View Post
I don't warranty sod, seed, trees, shrubs, plants that are not properly cared for. In fact I don't think anyone does.
Posted via Mobile Device
I give a 1 year warranty on everything I install on landscape Hardscape its 5 year

Most smart people will see the warranty and go with that company and if they don't They are dumb or they are a cheap O
Last install I did in there agreement I had warranty everything for 17 months and they paid for that warranty everything was mark up 1.5 x more then normal rate It was landscape and hardscape on top of that was Lawn care and Snow service For 17 months

I know guys does same thing you say 70% of time I'm the one going fix there crap
But I make good money fixing stuff
Last Lawn I fix The company did last fall they gave a 30 warranty but like that was going do anything was in last part of October growing season was over I lost this bid last fall But 2 weeks ago I did it for 1/2 more money
__________________
Snyder's New Lawn Service Inc.
Since 1981
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-02-2014, 07:33 AM
recycledsole recycledsole is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MD
Posts: 1,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Chevy View Post
One year is typically the standard. You should have a clause where plant replacement will not be honored due to improper care (i.e. under-watering), weather conditions, (i.e. flood or drought), or any other damages outside of your control (i.e. customer's grandkids running plants over with a Barbie Jeep).

Also make sure that the nursery you purchase from has a 1 year replacement as well. If the cause of death is ruled to be outside of your or the customer's control, then you get a free plant and the customer gets a free plant. Less out of you pocket.
When you see a dead brown plant, how can you tell the cause of death? Wether its dog pee, high heat, underwatering? How does a dead plant look that was cared for correctly?

By default I don't offer a warranty. The wholesale nursery does not for me either. If they want a warranty I add 30% to the installed price and ask them to have a watering system with timer.
__________________
"When we finally tire of searching for happiness outside, we sit quietly and analyze and realize that true and lasting happiness can never come from outside. It can't come because it simply is. You are Happiness personified. You are that Supreme Bliss. You are that Joy. You are the image of happiness. God is the one who is always happy, and you are the image of God." - Satchitananda

Last edited by recycledsole; 07-02-2014 at 07:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-02-2014, 02:53 PM
PLLandscape PLLandscape is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Western New York
Posts: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
Warranties worth their salt aren't free folks.
This and discounts......
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-02-2014, 03:35 PM
rlitman rlitman is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsole View Post
When you see a dead brown plant, how can you tell the cause of death? Wether its dog pee, high heat, underwatering? How does a dead plant look that was cared for correctly?
If you put in one plant, it can be hard to tell.
If you put in a row of arborvitae, and one in the middle died, well, you get the idea. Sometimes it is obvious, sometimes, not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudsonhawk View Post
I never had any issues with this until we had such a brutal winter last year that killed several plantings we did. Most customers understood that there was no warranty from the nursery. A few didn't want to hear that and I replaced them for free. From now on I will either offer them a warranty and charge them more for it or I no warranty and they can get it cheaper. Something tells me they will not forget to water if they know there is no warranty. I don't offer warranty on sod or seed either. That is asking for huge headaches.
Yeah, last winter was truly brutal. I live in a zone 7b, but got zone 6b weather. I've seen fig trees that had not been wrapped in over 25 years that died to the ground, when they never experienced winter loss before.

Still, I have zone 5 rated flowers planted in exposed pots that did fine over the winter, and I myself experienced no plant losses, because I have been careful to select perennials that are hardy to zone 6 or lower (which is surely safe in zone 7).

Borderline plants (in my area rhododendron falls into this category) are especially vulnerable to winter desiccation when they are newly transplanted, as their root system may not be recovered in time for winter. Do you take any special precautions for plantings going through their first winter? Provide any special instructions?

I'm not doing this commercially, but have had good luck with Wilt Pruf and a thick mulch layer getting me through the winter without resorting to more drastic measures.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-23-2014, 02:57 PM
MarkintheGarden's Avatar
MarkintheGarden MarkintheGarden is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 971
Like many, my vendors do not offer warranty, and for all the reasons stated by others, I do not warranty anything.

I have a very low failure rate, and I have replaced a few for free, so I probably should warranty and charge for it. But I don't want to because as someone said, a warranty is a license to neglect.

I use the best possible methods for planting, and use root stimulant and sometimes superthrive when I plant, and in expensive plantings I do a follow up root stimulant treatment. This is included in the estimate.

I tell my customers about how I select, plant and follow up inspection and treatment. I tell them that I do all I can to avoid loosing any plants. I do not think I have ever lost a bid because of lack of warranty.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:41 PM.

Page generated in 0.08393 seconds with 9 queries