The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-02-2014, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
What changes have you made?
I've been here about a year now and the main changes have been:

- cut overtime from 8 hrs a week average per employee to 2.5 hrs a week per employee
- no more pay for going home on a rain day. They can either do work inside the shop or leave and use their PTO if it's impossible to work
- restructured PTO for new hires to reduce the accrual rate in half.
- increased performance based bonuses to reward hard work instead of longevity
- set a use or lose cap of 160 hrs a year carryover max (used to be no cap and still have guys that are way over it)
- laid off a couple overpaid individuals in the office and field whose job performance was significantly worse than their compensation merited

Understandably the culture from these changes is pretty bad at the moment so I'm trying to keep things constant until at least the fall and I'm focusing on sales and higher billing rates at the moment. I'm hoping if I throw a party at the end of summer and give on the spot bonuses more often I can start to lighten the mood up around here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-02-2014, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorGardener View Post

- cut overtime from 8 hrs a week average per employee to 2.5 hrs a week per employee
- no more pay for going home on a rain day. They can either do work inside the shop or leave and use their PTO if it's impossible to work
- set a use or lose cap of 160 hrs a year carryover max (used to be no cap and still have guys that are way over it)
- laid off a couple overpaid individuals in the office and field whose job performance was significantly worse than their compensation merited

Understandably the culture from these changes is pretty bad at the moment so I'm trying to keep things constant until at least the fall and I'm focusing on sales and higher billing rates at the moment. I'm hoping if I throw a party at the end of summer and give on the spot bonuses more often I can start to lighten the mood up around here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Do you have any subjective ways to measure your employees performance? Some KPI's that measure results rather then just hard work.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snomaha View Post
Don't envy you - changing a company culture is one of the tough ones.
Yes and yes. what more of a difficulty. did it for a few years before I started my business- but I was middle management. the one taking all the heat without getting backed up- basically on my own. that is why I quit. however with you, you have the say.
Sorry my lack of management and insight into your particular situation I cant give you much advice.
"When we finally tire of searching for happiness outside, we sit quietly and analyze and realize that true and lasting happiness can never come from outside. It can't come because it simply is. You are Happiness personified. You are that Supreme Bliss. You are that Joy. You are the image of happiness. God is the one who is always happy, and you are the image of God." - Satchitananda
Old 07-02-2014, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

by the way gatorgardener, those guys who are rude and sarcastic and unhelpful, you can 'ignore' them so you don't see any of their posts!
"When we finally tire of searching for happiness outside, we sit quietly and analyze and realize that true and lasting happiness can never come from outside. It can't come because it simply is. You are Happiness personified. You are that Supreme Bliss. You are that Joy. You are the image of happiness. God is the one who is always happy, and you are the image of God." - Satchitananda
Old 07-02-2014, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorGardener View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
I worked for a company about twice the size of yours. We had a BBQ once a week and a few parties at a bar/restraunt throughout the year. It helps alot
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-02-2014, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
I worked for a company about twice the size of yours. We had a BBQ once a week and a few parties at a bar/restraunt throughout the year. It helps alot
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes it does! Im smokin ribs for our 4th of July party this weekend.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-02-2014, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We had a company picnic 2 weeks ago paid day for my guys, free food and swimming and fishing, we had a blast and the guys had fun, it takes alittle effort sometimes to keep everyone happy, it's hard for sure. Got to show them appreciation and respect and pay them well. But they need to make you money also. We are having another company picnic in a few weeks at the lake, gonna take some jetski's and hit the water park also, looking forward to some fun with the crew.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This guys thread today…

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=427734
Old 07-04-2014, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawizx62003 View Post
Thanks for tying them together for me. I'm not sure what the issue is though, shouldn't I improve the culture as part of the process to make it self sufficient?

Appreciate the tips from everyone!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-04-2014, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You need to improve that company culture. Then worry about creating a self sufficient business. If you don't fix the culture, there will be no employees and no business to even worry about. Are they spoiled or do you not think they deserve what they are getting? Did you deserve the business? Are they looking at you like here is this guy who comes in, gets a free business and thinks he is "the man"? I'm not tying to give u crap but from your threads I think you are more of the problem then them. I don't see you having interest in the lawn landscape biz and if that's the case do yourself a favors and your employees and SELL! If you are excited about it learn about it. Be there everyday, get to know the biz and get to know the guys. Worry about being an absent owner later. Not saying don't have processes but that isn't overnight. That's an ongoing thing. Get on a mower and go do a little work with your guys. See how they roll. Maybe then you will not think they're spoiled. Or maybe it will give you new ideas.
Posted via Mobile Device