Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-28-2014, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefcam864 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. My blower burns 2 tanks a day. It's a pig, but it moves a lot of air. I go through a lot more pre-mix than this guy, and I'm solo too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Good Lord! I get pretty much a full hour running my Echo PB 770T full throttle for leaf cleanups. I never paid much attention, but I think I only refill it every three days or so when using it to blow clippings while mowing.

I keep my mix fuel in a 1.25 gal No-Spill can for ease of filling with the small can. It varies depending on workload, but I usually get 2 days at least from that can between the string trimmer and 2 blowers. (handheld and backpack)
I put more in my trimmer than I use in my blowers by far.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
Good Lord! I get pretty much a full hour running my Echo PB 770T full throttle for leaf cleanups. I never paid much attention, but I think I only refill it every three days or so when using it to blow clippings while mowing.

I keep my mix fuel in a 1.25 gal No-Spill can for ease of filling with the small can. It varies depending on workload, but I usually get 2 days at least from that can between the string trimmer and 2 blowers. (handheld and backpack)
I put more in my trimmer than I use in my blowers by far.
Well I have a handheld blower, so I assume it uses less gas than a bigger one, but I'm pretty sure one tank would last all day on the blower mowing average things. But I probably use the blower 5 minutes or less per lawn. The weed trimmer I'm using 20-30 minutes on average, so I guess it will go about an hour on one tank.

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 06-28-2014, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2014, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMowerMan2003 View Post
I must have misunderstood something here. Are you saying you can use a trimmer for 2-3 days on one tank of gas? Even if they do have a bigger tank than mine, I can only weed trim and edge about 2 or 3 lawns before mine runs out.
yes you heard right. the honda engine trimmer will last an hour or so on one tank of gas.

typical day i trim maybe 30min at the most. some days longer but you get the point.

most yards i trim 5-10 min and blow 5-10min.

i do have some where i trim 15-30min.

on a normal day i work all day and my trimmer is only half empty and sometimes less. i just top it off every day when i get home.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wish I could trim in 5 minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
yes you heard right. the honda engine trimmer will last an hour or so on one tank of gas.

typical day i trim maybe 30min at the most. some days longer but you get the point.

most yards i trim 5-10 min and blow 5-10min.

i do have some where i trim 15-30min.

on a normal day i work all day and my trimmer is only half empty and sometimes less. i just top it off every day when i get home.
What size are your lawns? I need to time myself again, but I'm pretty sure it takes me an average of 15-20 minutes, and that's with a 21" mower. Of course, the edging seems to take the longest, so maybe the 21" doesn't make a big difference.

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 07-01-2014, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i have mostly large lawns. a few small ones. my largest is 4 acres. i have a couple around 2 1/2 acres and several about 1 acre. i only have a handful of small lawns that take 30min or less. most of my yards take 1hr all the way up to 3hrs to complete.

on the large lawns most of the time is just the mowing. the trimming is minimal. trimming on the 4 acre yard is 30 min but that is because it has a lake on it and i have to trim around the edge of the lake.

the 2 1/2 acre yards have about 15min of trimming. 1 acre yards maybe 10min of trimming. small yards 5-10min of trimming.

i have a couple that have about 10min of edging since they have sidewalks.

most yards i do have no edging required or only 5-10min of edging.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry I'm taking this off topic lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
i have mostly large lawns. a few small ones. my largest is 4 acres. i have a couple around 2 1/2 acres and several about 1 acre. i only have a handful of small lawns that take 30min or less. most of my yards take 1hr all the way up to 3hrs to complete.

on the large lawns most of the time is just the mowing. the trimming is minimal. trimming on the 4 acre yard is 30 min but that is because it has a lake on it and i have to trim around the edge of the lake.

the 2 1/2 acre yards have about 15min of trimming. 1 acre yards maybe 10min of trimming. small yards 5-10min of trimming.

i have a couple that have about 10min of edging since they have sidewalks.

most yards i do have no edging required or only 5-10min of edging.
Well that makes me feel a little better. I need to time everything, but I know the edging takes longer. Still, I don't think I could trim an acre in less than 15 minutes, but fortunately for me (because of the mower I'm using) I haven't had the pleasure of doing that lately.

Anyway, I suppose I should go back to the topic of gas cans, but that makes me angry so I have no more comments.

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 07-02-2014, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Member

has anyone ever tried one of the flow and go 14 gallon transfer tanks. heres a link to one of the ones on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/DuraMax-Fluid-...ywords=gas+can
Old 07-02-2014, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG NICKY View Post
has anyone ever tried one of the flow and go 14 gallon transfer tanks. heres a link to one of the ones on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/DuraMax-Fluid-...ywords=gas+can
Can't transfer gas fast enough to tolerate that thing. You would need a pump.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 10 foot trailer with a lockbox in the front with a 2.5 gallon tank with premix in it. I don't do massive properties so I don't need a huge tank.

Drug war veteran

From the halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli