Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-27-2014, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
I don't like the law. Infact i hate it.

Only bringing it up so when Josh gets his Gooseneck trailer he isn't surprised when the DOT takes him out of service
Posted via Mobile Device
They're not going to take him out of service. He's not doing anything illegal. If he brought a dual tandem, than yes they would.

Just because it's a gooseneck doesn't mean anything at all.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-27-2014, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLLandscape View Post
I'm just saying that a few guys on here such as ETWman and ProTurf have explained this about just getting all their main guys CDL'd so they can drive 33k GVWR trucks and they are the hardscape/landscape installers also. Or the guy driving the hydroseed truck and the mulch blower truck who each do those jobs. I'm just saying I've seen this and they explained they do this to avoid the prima dona drivers.
They're an exception. And they must pay really good. Because that is not the norm.

It's not as easy as just getting a cdl. It's a lot of time money and political bull ****.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-28-2014, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just read this and I have to say in all our business activities this is probably the number one most confusing thing we face. The problem is the laws are vague, and half the time the officers don't know. With our Freightliners we just have guys get their class A's and it solves the problem.

Here's the most recent one, and this was my interpretation on this. I just recently bought a 14,000 lb EBY skid loader trailer. It's a very well built aluminum trailer. I bought it because there are times at our shop when I may need to run a machine somewhere behind my pickup or bring it up to my house to work on something. I have a class B, but not an A. All of our machines weight between 8,000- 11,000 so you need a bigger trailer.

So, in checking with the local police department, I filled out the forms and reclassified by 2012 Denali HD, which has a GVW of 10,000 lbs to a GCWR of 24,000 lbs. Thus this allows me to tow it without a Class A. Because i'm not over 26,000 lbs combination. I checked no less than 4 sources on this to make sure I was 100% compliant. I am in PA. Now if I didn't reclassify it at a GCWR, and just towed the 14,000 trailer I would need my CDL A. Don't ask, it makes no sense. But there's loop holes to the system if its under 26,000 lbs. You see a lot of cattle haulers up here doing this with livestock 5 wheel trailers to stay under 26,000.

Now here's where this makes little to no sense. You could take a 550, with a GVW of 17,500 (which is a much better truck to tow this trailer), put the same trailer behind it, and now you have to get a class A.

It doesn't surprise me that this topic has spiraled like it has. As if its not confusing enough, every state it different in its interpretation. The kicker is these pickup trucks manufacturers have increased towing capacity tremendously in the past 5-10 years and it has really made a mess of the whole 26,000 and under things.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 06-28-2014, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well for NYS this is what it says from the official nysdmv site.

You must have a Commercial Driver License (CDL) to operate any of the following CMVs:
l Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more.
l A trailer with a GVWR of more than 10,000 pounds if the gross combination weight rating (GCWR) is 26,001 pounds or more. GCWR is the GVWR of the power unit plus the GVWR of each vehicle in combination

Seems pretty simple to me.

Now I found some "DMV" site that says over 26k GCWR or trailer over 10k. Totally contradictory. I'll believe the nys official site.

Here's a link, first & second page has it all.

http://dmv.ny.gov/sites/default/file...cdl10sec01.pdf
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-02-2014, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That seems accurate to me. I really don't think it matters what size gooseneck you are towing as long as you abide by the above criteria.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 07-02-2014, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't even bother with the aftermarket websites.

See, when I researched the MD laws - the lawyer in me went straight to the MD General Assembly and looked up the annoted code, which is what the court goes by. A judge won't look at any MVA website, they go by annoted codes.

If you are looking at a website, make sure its an official state website. If it ends in .com, .net, or .org - its not an official state website.

You know - its a shame, this website is a resource for business owners. We're here to help each other. I have a family member retired from the PA MVA who first ever told me about this law. I have friends who have been ticketed and put out of service in MD for pulling trailers rated over 10,000 GVW and not having a class A license. I have had commercial vehicle inspectors tell me they write multiple tickets each week for said violations........and then people on this forum tell me I'm wrong and that I don't know what I'm talking about. People that don't even live in MD (or PA). People that don't even have trucks and trailers that get pulled over for random DOT inspections, people that don't even take their units through scale houses.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 07-02-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know MD laws. Just stating NY for listing purposes. And it's from the official state site.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2014, 03:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
Don't even bother with the aftermarket websites.

See, when I researched the MD laws - the lawyer in me went straight to the MD General Assembly and looked up the annoted code, which is what the court goes by. A judge won't look at any MVA website, they go by annoted codes.

If you are looking at a website, make sure its an official state website. If it ends in .com, .net, or .org - its not an official state website.

You know - its a shame, this website is a resource for business owners. We're here to help each other. I have a family member retired from the PA MVA who first ever told me about this law. I have friends who have been ticketed and put out of service in MD for pulling trailers rated over 10,000 GVW and not having a class A license. I have had commercial vehicle inspectors tell me they write multiple tickets each week for said violations........and then people on this forum tell me I'm wrong and that I don't know what I'm talking about. People that don't even live in MD (or PA). People that don't even have trucks and trailers that get pulled over for random DOT inspections, people that don't even take their units through scale houses.
The way I'm reading this thread is you made a statement based on your opinion and that of your relatives which are by any real means unsubstantiated. You could have at least roster some link to your research.

Don't get me wrong because in my state I can't pull a trailer rated at 10,000 or above on a C.

I also can't pull a trailer rated below 10,000 that scales 20,000 loaded. Now that's according to the OIC Sunday at the Cottonwood inspection station

http://www.chp.ca.gov/depts_divs_offs/inspection.html

I'm sure I could find the information in the dmv handbook if I so desire.

I didn't get involved in this discussion other than post a few links to md sites and of course a little "convoy" humor. Big reason I kept out is that I dont hold a class A license but rather a class C.

It's my opinion that if you would have posted a link or two to prove your point you would have appeared a bit more credible.

If you don't mind me asking, do you hold a class A by any chance?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2014, 04:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Devious.

You need a class a if you're over 26 combined or you're truck is over 26

The trailer doesn't matter in maryland. I'm posting facts. Not opinions. Whoever told you this isn't right. It's in plain black and white straight off the md MBA website. I've had many manny state troopers tell me I'm right. Even the dot officer that sits on 301 looking for people.

Get your facts straight before you try to act all high and mighty
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2014, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You know I'm gonna take a shot at the "lawyer inside me" part
Posted via Mobile Device