Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-03-2014, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiscCleanUpCrew View Post
It's a good way to over fill the oil. This isn't good advice, how do you know you got exactly all of the old oil out?
Posted via Mobile Device

done this professionally myself.

fill it up according to mfg specs.

check dipstick before adding last quart.

add until dipstick is in right range.

start engine.
run for short period of time.
recheck dip stick.

how do you know all the old oil is out??
lol

old or new... it all shows up on the dipstick my friend!
Old 07-03-2014, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
done this professionally myself.

fill it up according to mfg specs.

check dipstick before adding last quart.

add until dipstick is in right range.

start engine.
run for short period of time.
recheck dip stick.

how do you know all the old oil is out??
lol

old or new... it all shows up on the dipstick my friend!
That's what I'm getting at. But someone on here said disregard the dipstick. The only thing that matter is a tsb

I can guarantee you if that dipstick is over filled a quart and a half you're going to get tore up. Regardless or what you're paper says.

And if the customer spins a bearing or another oil problem? Lol. You're screwed
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2014, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
I'm telling you it's not negotiable. You're customer only cares about what the dipstick says. They don't give a damn about a tsb.

They'll be obsolete soon anyway. BMW has already done away with them on several cars
Posted via Mobile Device
No, the customer wants their engine to last as long as possible. They absolutely care about TSBs. How do I know this? I have showed them the TSBs, and explained the issue. I have then taken them out to see the stick amd make sure they under stand. When they have have a paper from the manufacturer in their hand. I have done several times and everytime the customer was happy I showed them.

The only reason the customer is adamant about the oil dipstick reading is because thats all they know to be true. Educate the customer and earn their business for life.

Having spent years in shops, a pile ASE certs, hours and hours of factory training and years of formal training I can assure YOU this absolutely IS negotiable and only proper education of the techs and the customers will solve it.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I guess so. Certifications don't mean ****. I was master certified with diesel and hybrid endorsements at 19

I was in a national competition at 16

Had ford training

Attended several college classes and workshops. By the time I was 21 I was at $29 flat rate 60_100 a week. 3 more months and I would have been at 35.

But **** happens life changes
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2014, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I guess so. Certifications don't mean ****. I was master certified with diesel and hybrid endorsements at 19

I was in a national competition at 16

Had ford training

Attended several college classes and workshops. By the time I was 21 I was at $29 flat rate 60_100 a week. 3 more months and I would have been at 35.

But **** happens life changes
Posted via Mobile Device
If you were similarily trained as I, then you should already know about the issues with inccorect dipsticks, TSBs on oil fill etc. Hell, there was a TSB on the dodge diesels that actually had the techs, scribble out the oil fill capacity in the owners manual, and re write, by hand the correct oil fill qty as part of the corrective measure.

Many many more describing bad part numbers, new part numbers, correct oil qty, etc. This is nothing new, but outside of the dealer networks and lube centers, the public is largely unaware of any issue, even shade tree mechanics who "know alot" have no idea.

You should know as well as I do, a manufacturer would LOVE to pass on an engine failure warranty. They will check the oil level, as measured by quantity, not on the stick. If the current TSBs or oil capacity isnt adheared to, they will denie the claim as improper amount of lubrication. I have seen this happen at a honda dealer. The guy claimed the stick showed full, honda said no, you only had 2 qts in it.

Knowing what I know, what I have seen, and was told from the manufactures, I will continue to follow the book and recomend everyone else does too. Cause when its all said and done, the manufacturer will use that number to pay or deny a warranty claim, no matter what the stick shows.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
And oil changes generally pay .5. That's why we upsell you
Posted via Mobile Device
Really. Times must be different in your book. Oil change is .3. And rotate is .3. So your only getting .6. And then the inspection. Not worth it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2014, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Took the wifes VW cc to get an oil change at one of the quickie joints last week. noticed some drips of oil on the garage floor. Took it back yesterday, stripped the oil pan out. VW is going to charge $755 for new pan installed +oil...
Old 07-03-2014, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfjoe View Post
Took the wifes VW cc to get an oil change at one of the quickie joints last week. noticed some drips of oil on the garage floor. Took it back yesterday, stripped the oil pan out. VW is going to charge $755 for new pan installed +oil...
Very common. They make a self tapping plug for it as a band aid
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2014, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselss View Post
Really. Times must be different in your book. Oil change is .3. And rotate is .3. So your only getting .6. And then the inspection. Not worth it
Posted via Mobile Device
.5 for oil change plus .2 for rotation. No extra time for inspection.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2014, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffTurfLawnCare View Post
If you were similarily trained as I, then you should already know about the issues with inccorect dipsticks, TSBs on oil fill etc. Hell, there was a TSB on the dodge diesels that actually had the techs, scribble out the oil fill capacity in the owners manual, and re write, by hand the correct oil fill qty as part of the corrective measure.

Many many more describing bad part numbers, new part numbers, correct oil qty, etc. This is nothing new, but outside of the dealer networks and lube centers, the public is largely unaware of any issue, even shade tree mechanics who "know alot" have no idea.

You should know as well as I do, a manufacturer would LOVE to pass on an engine failure warranty. They will check the oil level, as measured by quantity, not on the stick. If the current TSBs or oil capacity isnt adheared to, they will denie the claim as improper amount of lubrication. I have seen this happen at a honda dealer. The guy claimed the stick showed full, honda said no, you only had 2 qts in it.

Knowing what I know, what I have seen, and was told from the manufactures, I will continue to follow the book and recomend everyone else does too. Cause when its all said and done, the manufacturer will use that number to pay or deny a warranty claim, no matter what the stick shows.
I know exactly which Honda you are talking About. The funny thing is sometimes they would show full with 3.5 and sometimes over.

I never worked on cummins. Mostly ford and Chevy.

I understand what you're saying completely. But how many times did you pull a tsb on an oil change? I never really checked the book either cause I knew what they took.

I had more training then I care to admit. But oil changes weren't usually my job
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by whiffyspark; 07-03-2014 at 11:50 AM.