Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-28-2014, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Locking cable or chains?

I'm not sure if this is in the right forum. Please feel free to move if not.

I started being more careful with my equipment after stopping at a hardware store for about 15 minutes with 2 commercial trimmers in the back of my truck. I came back and they were both gone; the worst thing was that one of them was almost brand new.

I wish I could say I haven't had anything else stolen, but at least after that I started taking a few steps to secure equipment, especially handheld equipment. When I go to the back yard I take everything with me, so that I can see it at all times. This is probably the most important of the steps I now take, however, I like to secure it in the truck, in case I do need to leave the truck unattended for a few minutes. I don't have a trailer or toolbox, so I need to use either cables or chains.

I had a bicycle cable for a while. I finally noticed it was rusted through the other day. Somebody could have easily broken it and taken my stuff. So I bought another bicycle lock cable. The problem is it doesn't fit through the little brackets under my bed liner, because the loops at the end are too large. It seems most bike locks I have looked at are a similar design.
Also, they usually only come in 6 foot lengths; I would really like something longer to go through the mower too. I considered a chain for this reason, but are chains easier to cut?

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 06-29-2014, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 15ft coated cable from Harbor Freight that I lock to my tie down anchors either in my bed or my trailer for times when I go into a store, get food, anything. I also park away from everyone else. My cable can easily be cut, but I think people want 'grab-n-go' with my cable they can't get in and out so fast, risking being spotted so they don't even try.

http://www.harborfreight.com/15-ft-x...ble-67706.html

Old 06-29-2014, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use same type of cable for couple years before buying and enclosed. Can you get a paddle lock through the truck tie down and lock the cable end to that? That's what I used to do?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2014, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by C & T Landscaping View Post
I have a 15ft coated cable from Harbor Freight that I lock to my tie down anchors either in my bed or my trailer for times when I go into a store, get food, anything. I also park away from everyone else. My cable can easily be cut, but I think people want 'grab-n-go' with my cable they can't get in and out so fast, risking being spotted so they don't even try.

http://www.harborfreight.com/15-ft-x...ble-67706.html
Same set up i got for the bed of my truck bought from same place to. I use it for my gas and pole hedge trimmer, spreader, Catchrite bager during the fall along with other stuff at times.

Last edited by Chevy z71; 06-29-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We use stainless wire, probably around 1/8th inch. I bought a roll of it years ago. You simply crimp the loops into the ends. Yes it can be easily cut, but I haven't had an issue with that yet. Most thieves stealing from your truck when your in a store or in the back yard are going after the quick opportunity. Most are looking to just grab what they can, they don't want to be standing there for two minutes and risk being caught. The 1/8th inch is thick enough that you need wire cutters, but thin enough that it's real flexible so it's as quick and simple to thread though handles
Old 06-29-2014, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like the 15 foot cable better. I might be able to use a longer lock than the one that came with my cable. I also see that Lowe's has the stainless steel cable.

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 06-29-2014, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think I'd want to screw with chains "X" many times a day, every day.
Doesn't sound like it would be convenient at all.

Coated cables are easy to feed through equipment and aren't going to clang around, and make noise like the ghost of Christmas past, and they aren't as likely to damage anything.

I picked up one of the Reese retractable cable gadgets when I saw them on clearance for $20. I mounted it to the side of my trailer and I can pull it out, loop it through my mowers, and lock it with a padlock. When not in use, it's out of the way, yet handy when I need it.
Better than nothing.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I use to run a coated cable through through all my handhelds in the back of the truck, but it was a big hassle to mess with so I went out and bought a landscape box for my trailer with a one foot lift so i can still fit the mower caster wheels under it. It was only $300 bucks and blowers, weedeaters, and other handhelds all fit in it. And to be able to securely lock everything with one simple pad lock is well worth it.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That worked

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstifel View Post
I use same type of cable for couple years before buying and enclosed. Can you get a paddle lock through the truck tie down and lock the cable end to that? That's what I used to do?
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks. I had to use a longer padlock to go through the truck tie down, and then that also gives me more cable to work with because I just use the short padlock to secure the other end of the cable to itself. I would take a picture, but I have to find a way to re-size my pictures because they are too big to post to the site. It also keeps the equipment from rolling around and the gas cans from flipping over. I know somebody could cut the padlock easier than the one it came with, but hopefully they won't go to the trouble.

That retractable one looks nice. Maybe I'll get that in the future. A toolbox would be great, when I can afford one, but I don't think the weed trimmer would fit.

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 07-03-2014, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMowerMan2003 View Post
Thanks. I had to use a longer padlock to go through the truck tie down, and then that also gives me more cable to work with because I just use the short padlock to secure the other end of the cable to itself. I would take a picture, but I have to find a way to re-size my pictures because they are too big to post to the site. It also keeps the equipment from rolling around and the gas cans from flipping over. I know somebody could cut the padlock easier than the one it came with, but hopefully they won't go to the trouble.

That retractable one looks nice. Maybe I'll get that in the future. A toolbox would be great, when I can afford one, but I don't think the weed trimmer would fit.

LawnMowerMan, honestly, I think the problem has been mentioned above. Although locks, chains, cables all can be cut, in my opinion eliminating the "grab and go" business will eliminate 98.8% of all your problems. Especially in the day time when running in the hardware store. That had to be a costly trip to the hardware store. Now my question, why not spend the money on some locking pieces for your equipment? It doesn't take a lot of money or have to be expensive. Not only does it make your trimmers lockable, but it keeps them safe from rolling and bouncing, not to mention you don't have to carry "everything" to the back yard to avoid the quick "grab and go" guys. Mine may not be the fanciest or nicest, but I've sure never had a trimmer stolen from them. My trimmers don't "roll" or move around and have been kept like new since the day I put them on. $39. bucks for each trimmer plus a pad lock which it sounds like you already have. Get matching padlocks so you use the same key to unlock both. This is where I ordered mine from, fast shipping, easy to install.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Car...kem/PK-6S.html

John Deere 997 60" Diesel
Toro Grand-Stand 36"
Stihl Handhelds

Business: Solo Operated
Mechanic: Myself learning day by day.
Parts Supplier: ZeroTurnMan for everything.