Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 07-02-2014, 11:22 AM
bens lawn care bens lawn care is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: pass Christian, ms.
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
That billy goat thing is a pos
Posted via Mobile Device
Whiffyspark I have a billy goat brush cutter that I use for the back side of my pond when Its wet and I cant get my tractor back there and they are far from a pos. I've used it for 3 years and never had a single issue out of it. My tractor has a 5 foot bush hog brand brush cutter with the slip clutch and stump jumper and if it can push it over it will cut it. Had a cheap one before this one with the shear bolts and I wouldn't own another one like that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-02-2014, 09:52 PM
Snyder's Lawn Inc's Avatar
Snyder's Lawn Inc Snyder's Lawn Inc is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kirksville Mo
Posts: 3,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBDiagMan View Post
I've had three different shredders all with shear BOLTS. I have had slip clutches on haying equipment and they can be a pain in the you know what. For a shredder I prefer a shear bolt.

A slip clutch doesn't lose efficiency unless it is set so loose that it is slipping under normal use. It should only slip when it hits something. Keeping it working right and slipping only when it should is one of the things that makes them a pain.

My current John Deere shredder has two arms that mate and the shear bolt goes through both arms. Best arrangement I've seen.
I had to look see what your shedder was Its a Flair mower thats what came up when I google it
Shear bolt would work for that type of cutting But when you start cutting 3/4 to 3'' trees a slip cultch is the key even my Tire driven Sidewinder After run one never use a grearbox type again I have 2 a 6' and a 7' model
Attached Images
 
__________________
Snyder's New Lawn Service Inc.
Since 1981
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-03-2014, 05:16 AM
whiffyspark whiffyspark is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chesapeake beach
Posts: 5,288
Things have changed since that old iron came out 30-40 years ago
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-03-2014, 07:22 AM
MBDiagMan MBDiagMan is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NE Texas
Posts: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
I had to look see what your shedder was Its a Flair mower thats what came up when I google it
Shear bolt would work for that type of cutting But when you start cutting 3/4 to 3'' trees a slip cultch is the key even my Tire driven Sidewinder After run one never use a grearbox type again I have 2 a 6' and a 7' model
That looks like a great machine. I expect the "tire" serves as a slip clutch by itself.

I don't know what you're googling. My shredder is not a flail mower, it's a shredder. It's a John Deere model 613. I don't know how old it is, but I bought it used for $400 about 5 years ago. It had seen very little use at that time, but was bashed up on the back. I cut out the back and welded it back together with fresh plate, adding some strap along the bottom for reinforcement.

The shear bolt arrangement is not a bolt that goes through the outer collar and the center shaft. It consists of two flat arms that extend radially from the shafts, then a shear bolt goes in parallel to the shaft centerline, if that makes sense.

Here are a couple of pictures immediately after I fixed it up. It was still hanging on my old Ford 3000 diesel that has since been replaced with a JD 5055D
Attached Images
   
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-03-2014, 09:36 PM
joe crumpler services's Avatar
joe crumpler services joe crumpler services is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: mount olive, n.c.
Posts: 120
Does anyone use field / brush mowers for acre or half-acre lots?
__________________
The only time a politician tells the truth is when he calls his opponent a liar.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-03-2014, 11:00 PM
Snyder's Lawn Inc's Avatar
Snyder's Lawn Inc Snyder's Lawn Inc is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kirksville Mo
Posts: 3,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBDiagMan View Post
That looks like a great machine. I expect the "tire" serves as a slip clutch by itself.

I don't know what you're googling. My shredder is not a flail mower, it's a shredder. It's a John Deere model 613. I don't know how old it is, but I bought it used for $400 about 5 years ago. It had seen very little use at that time, but was bashed up on the back. I cut out the back and welded it back together with fresh plate, adding some strap along the bottom for reinforcement.

The shear bolt arrangement is not a bolt that goes through the outer collar and the center shaft. It consists of two flat arms that extend radially from the shafts, then a shear bolt goes in parallel to the shaft centerline, if that makes sense.

Here are a couple of pictures immediately after I fixed it up. It was still hanging on my old Ford 3000 diesel that has since been replaced with a JD 5055D
Type in Shredder and showed flair mower What you posted is a bush hog
Maybe JD named it a Shredder but its a bush hog Like mine is a FMC Sidewinder But I call it a Bush hog

Its like My Gehl Skidloader people call it a Bobcat its a common name for that type of equipment

on sidewinder yes the tire is like a slip clutch But with Tire driven You can use smaller 40 HP tractor on them and cuts like u have a 60hp tractor hook up to it
Use to do a lot custom bush hogging I use to run a TO35 Ferguson with the 6ft Sidewinder But gas went to high now I have 4600 ford diesel now run that 6ft on it only need run half throttle open tractor up cuts like its 1000 Pto
__________________
Snyder's New Lawn Service Inc.
Since 1981
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-03-2014, 11:15 PM
Snyder's Lawn Inc's Avatar
Snyder's Lawn Inc Snyder's Lawn Inc is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kirksville Mo
Posts: 3,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Things have changed since that old iron came out 30-40 years ago
Posted via Mobile Device
But they still make them under a different company But I cant remember the name Seen it at the State Fair last year
__________________
Snyder's New Lawn Service Inc.
Since 1981
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-04-2014, 04:09 PM
MBDiagMan MBDiagMan is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NE Texas
Posts: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
Type in Shredder and showed flair mower What you posted is a bush hog
Maybe JD named it a Shredder but its a bush hog Like mine is a FMC Sidewinder But I call it a Bush hog

Its like My Gehl Skidloader people call it a Bobcat its a common name for that type of equipment

on sidewinder yes the tire is like a slip clutch But with Tire driven You can use smaller 40 HP tractor on them and cuts like u have a 60hp tractor hook up to it
Use to do a lot custom bush hogging I use to run a TO35 Ferguson with the 6ft Sidewinder But gas went to high now I have 4600 ford diesel now run that 6ft on it only need run half throttle open tractor up cuts like its 1000 Pto
Okay, now I understand what you were googling.

I think what is going on here is a difference in local terminology.

In my little North East Texas agricultural community, the cutter that is in my picture is called a shredder by the locals. The term comes from its use in years past to "shred" the stubble left in a field after a combine has been run over the field. Since that time it has come to more commonly used for battling weeds in pastures.

In other areas the term "brush hog" seems to be what is commonly used. I think that term stems from one of the early producers of what we in these parts call a shredder. That is a Lubbock, Texas based company named Bush Hog.

Now maybe this will get us on the same page.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-04-2014, 04:18 PM
GoPappy GoPappy is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 99
MBDiagMan, I used to work at Servis Equipment, which made the Rhino rotary cutters. We called them "shredders" too. Maybe it's just a Texas thing. Seems like most people on the internet call them brush hogs or bush hogs. As you said, "Bush Hog" is a brand, but has evolved into common use as a descriptive term, sorta like kleenex.

We never called a flail mower anything other than a flail mower.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 07-05-2014, 01:38 AM
Snyder's Lawn Inc's Avatar
Snyder's Lawn Inc Snyder's Lawn Inc is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kirksville Mo
Posts: 3,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBDiagMan View Post
Okay, now I understand what you were googling.

I think what is going on here is a difference in local terminology.

In my little North East Texas agricultural community, the cutter that is in my picture is called a shredder by the locals. The term comes from its use in years past to "shred" the stubble left in a field after a combine has been run over the field. Since that time it has come to more commonly used for battling weeds in pastures.

In other areas the term "brush hog" seems to be what is commonly used. I think that term stems from one of the early producers of what we in these parts call a shredder. That is a Lubbock, Texas based company named Bush Hog.

Now maybe this will get us on the same page.
Yep I'm up north you in south you say howdy I say hello but means the same
Just never heard that term of shredder is all Learn new things all time on here
__________________
Snyder's New Lawn Service Inc.
Since 1981
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:19 AM.

Page generated in 0.11461 seconds with 10 queries