Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-03-2014, 06:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Tenacity on St Aug or Centipede

Was thinking of trying this for crab & nimblewill in SA. How effective is it on other weeds in warm season turf?
Old 07-03-2014, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The reason why Syngenta limits application on St Augustine to sod farms only is how white it gets. The St Augustine does not die, but it turns albino. On centipede, there is no white. It appears to be totally unaffected. A few months ago, I applied Tenacity to a centipede lawn. No whitening on the centipede, but anything else in the grass turned white. Including some zoysia and St Augustine contamination.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 07-04-2014, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
The reason why Syngenta limits application on St Augustine to sod farms only is how white it gets. The St Augustine does not die, but it turns albino. On centipede, there is no white. It appears to be totally unaffected. A few months ago, I applied Tenacity to a centipede lawn. No whitening on the centipede, but anything else in the grass turned white. Including some zoysia and St Augustine contamination.
Interesting to hear that. I picked up a couple more lawns with substantial centipede areas this year. If you remember, I bought and tested some tenacity alone and in combination with other products last year. my own "field trials" if you will...

I still have most of the bottle left.

Still waiting and looking for the DG silver bullet
Old 07-04-2014, 05:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Tenacity turns into a different creature when combined with either Simazine or Basagran. Field trials by one of my mentors in Hawaii demonstrated enhanced activity on crabgrass and goosegrass with a combination of 16 oz Princep + 4 oz Tenacity. I recently used 4 oz Tenacity and 32 oz Basagran with dramatic results on sedges and grassy weeds. Apparently, Tenacity is also temperature sensitive. I get faster and more profound results with temperatures above 80. It has been in the high 80s to 90 for the past month.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I used it in my first application of pre in February to clean things up. I used simazine and barricade as my pre. I can't remember off the top of my head what rate I used, but it annihilated all weeds. It did take a couple to three weeks to see total death, but I was very impressed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-06-2014, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

On St Aug how long does the whitening last?
Old 07-06-2014, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I did 2 4 oz applications at 14 days apart trying to destroy crabgrass, broadleaves and zoysia. SA was white for over a month. It mostly worked. Paspalum conjugatum, related to DG, did not achieve commercially acceptable levels of damage. That was killed when I applied sethoxydim. So was most of the SA. I will not keep a mixed lawn. Too hard to maintain a uniform and attractive appearance. Especially when reel cutting the centipede at 3/4" every 7-10 days.

Field work done in Hawaii has indicated that well maintained seashore paspalum will tolerate 4 oz Tenacity with 4 oz Sencor without permanent damage. Apparently, it turns a little white, but recovers. Crabgrass, goosegrass, lovegrass, and smutgrass destroyed with 2-3 applications at 14 day intervals

Old 07-06-2014, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubba View Post
I used it in my first application of pre in February to clean things up. I used simazine and barricade as my pre. I can't remember off the top of my head what rate I used, but it annihilated all weeds. It did take a couple to three weeks to see total death, but I was very impressed.
Posted via Mobile Device
1 qt simazine 4l or Princep 4L is twice what Syngenta has labeled for co application with Tenacity. However, it is not surprising that most weeds were destroyed by such an application. Tenacity becomes more than something that turns weeds temporarily white when combined with either triazines or Basagran.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
1 qt simazine 4l or Princep 4L is twice what Syngenta has labeled for co application with Tenacity. However, it is not surprising that most weeds were destroyed by such an application. Tenacity becomes more than something that turns weeds temporarily white when combined with either triazines or Basagran.
I wonder what Princep/Tenacity would do to a big ol mess of DG in the heat of the summer?

I might just have to find out...
Old 07-06-2014, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not much. 8 oz Tenacity and 8 oz Sencor failed to fry DG. Sencor is hot.