Register free!

Old 07-04-2014, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Summer options : live vs. Sol-u-Cal vs. processed compost ?

Every year at this time I look for the "best" product to use for my fescue customers. I do a Summer application from July - Aug. and typically put down dol. lime (and various weed controls). I did use a Gro-ganics compost two years back - but it stunk and cost a lot more per 1,000 s/f than the lime. I do have soil test results for many of my properties, most are several years old by now. Those lime bags get heavier each year, and I am looking at other options and to see what other guys are using now in the Transition zone / summertime??? thanks for any input.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

OK... I'm subscribed. Hopefully someone will tell us why you should be using calicitic lime instead of dolomitic lime although few places sell calicitic.

Our clay soils are usually pretty acidic. I've got a riding spreader so lime is easy to put out. I've tried applying lime in August. But if we don't get much, or any rain, it helps dry up turf that's already too dry. When I mowed, a cloud of white dust traveled all over the neighborhood. I started using Sol u Call, so I can easily apply it while aerating, seeding and fertilizing. I don't know if Sol u Call actually does any good. Years ago someone was selling a "lime" that was sprayable. I believe that it no longer exists. It was supposed to make the grass Feel like the pH was balanced, rather than changing the pH of the soil.