Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-04-2014, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Fungus taking over Zoysia....

Green Doc and the experts please chime in to this post. I don't know if I over did it with the FE apps on the Zoysia, but am going through serious issues now. Pictures to come at the end of the day.

Spots in the Zoysia are starting to turn brown almost look just like it's died out. In the areas that are turning brown the blades are turning purple. The purple only appears in the areas that are brown but is spreading more and more now across the lawn.

John Deere 997 60" Diesel
Toro Grand-Stand 36"
Stihl Handhelds

Business: Solo Operated
Mechanic: Myself learning day by day.
Parts Supplier: ZeroTurnMan for everything.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Toro Grand-Stand 36"
Stihl Handhelds

Old 07-04-2014, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That is most likely phosphorus deficiency. If you have been feeding 0 P formulations all this time and collecting clippings, this can happen. I am normally 0 P, but at least a few times a year, I apply soluble 20-20-20 as the fertilizer. This is also done if I see purple leaves on the grass.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 07-04-2014, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
That is most likely phosphorus deficiency. If you have been feeding 0 P formulations all this time and collecting clippings, this can happen. I am normally 0 P, but at least a few times a year, I apply soluble 20-20-20 as the fertilizer. This is also done if I see purple leaves on the grass.
Green Doc, so it doesn't look like any sort of fungus to you? I've also been having issues with the Grey Leaf Spot or what I think is Grey Leaf Spot that comes and goes through wet periods. For some reason I'm thinking the purple is some sort of fungus assuming by the areas surrounded by the purple leaves are turning brown. Other areas that don't have the purple are healthy and green. I've been feeding low amounts of Phosphorus throughout the year, but mostly straight N. I did do a good Ph app in the early Spring and a light one again before early summer.

Toro Grand-Stand 36"
Stihl Handhelds

Old 07-04-2014, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Green Doc, I just got back to the house and did some quick homework on your explanation and it makes complete since. I've been adding too much FE this year or Chleated Iron and I'm willing to bet the Phosphorus is getting binded up by the Iron. Now the question is what is a fix to this? I was thinking it was fungus seeing that I've already been getting signs of the White Spots again this year. I was about ready to tear it all up and put down St. Augustine being that I can get a contractor discount and a good deal on the St. Augustine, but if there's a quick fix to this I'd love to hear it because it all makes sense now.

Toro Grand-Stand 36"
Stihl Handhelds

Old 07-04-2014, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Green Doc, another weird thing I noticed is the areas that are turning brown almost appear stringy. It looks like they are converting from Zoysia to Bermuda. (I know that's a weird analogy) but that's what it appears like. The wider blades of the Zoysia seem to be getting "stringy."

Toro Grand-Stand 36"
Stihl Handhelds

Old 07-04-2014, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What I just told you. Last time I saw a zoysia lawn turning purple with distorted growth, it got 2 lb Peters 20-20-20 in 5 or more gallons. Next time I saw the lawn, purple was gone. The other issue is pH. High or low pH causes issues with P availability. Which is why I will do what is needed to keep pH near at least 7 rather than 8 or 5.5 on the other end of the spectrum.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 07-04-2014, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just made a quick run and couldn't find any water soluble ph. I went ahead and fertilized with a high Phos. fertilizer and now watering it in. I'm going to take notes and see if anything changes over the next few days. If the lawn goes any further I'm stripping the 2,000 square feet in the front and going a different route. All the St. Augustine lawns I'm maintaining around here are doing excellent and look excellent when cut at 4.5". I just wish I could get my Zoysia that high and have it healthy looking and manicured at that height. I know the turf quality would be severely down hill. I'll update you on how the high Phos. fertilizer does or if it has any reaction to it. I've honestly been looking for a reason to go with St. Augustine. The cost isn't that much with my contractor discounts, the issue is more hauling the soil and time.

Toro Grand-Stand 36"
Stihl Handhelds

Old 07-07-2014, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I have 1200 sq. Ft of empire zoysia at my house. I just planted a pallet and half last week. The first pallet went in last year. It was totally dormant when I planted it. I applied three pounds of nitrogen and potassium per 1000 sq ft, per app last year. Gras really responded well. Used southern ag liquid iron in summer. I feel the iron takes the blue green away from blade. I never had a soil test. Why noy just do three fert apps and skip the iron. In between maybe use lesco 0-0-28 at.5 rate, lots of manganese and iron. Mine is in pretty much full sun cut at 2 inches in summer. One and three quarter inches the rest. Zoysia is a great grass, much more wear tolerance thanst. Augustine. I will try to figure out how to add a picture of the grass. What type of soil do you have?
Old 07-07-2014, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
Green Doc, so it doesn't look like any sort of fungus to you? I've also been having issues with the Grey Leaf Spot or what I think is Grey Leaf Spot that comes and goes through wet periods. For some reason I'm thinking the purple is some sort of fungus assuming by the areas surrounded by the purple leaves are turning brown. Other areas that don't have the purple are healthy and green. I've been feeding low amounts of Phosphorus throughout the year, but mostly straight N. I did do a good Ph app in the early Spring and a light one again before early summer.
I see a number of issues here, os I'll try to be brief:

1) Learn which diseases you're going to see on different grasses and under what conditions you're going to see them. You can't be seeing Gray Leaf Spot on zoysiagrass -- it's simply not susceptible to that pathogen. You can certainly see it on St. Augustinegrass, but not on zoysiagrass.

Use reputable university publications, your pesticide applicator study materials, and turfgrass textbooks to make yourself a "cheat sheet" or quick guide for turfgrass diseases. When you do this, you'll find that there simply aren't a lot of diseases that impact warm season grasses in the summertime.

2) Learn to recognize what is a disease and what's not. An interesting fact: the North Carolina State University turf diagnostics lab reported that more than 50% of its samples submitted for disease diagnosis had absolutely no disease activity and no detectable pathogens. Learn what disease activity looks like and what it doesn't. Compare that visual image with the turf species you're managing and the recent weather. This will help your diagnosis.

3) You mentioned in another post about wanting your zoysiagrass to be as tall as St. Aug. It may not get there, or it may not look good when it does. Maintain it at close to 2" HOC. That will produce an attractive surface and outcompete weeds.

4) Don't jack around with micronutrients unless you have a documented deficiency. Just focus on growing grass. Focus on the basics. Get your pH in the right range (5.5-6.5), make sure you have adequate (not excessive) soil test amounts of P and K, apply no more than 3 lbs N/M/yr (after all, it is zoysiagrass), and mow it often enough and at the right height.

Remember, it's just grass.