Register free!

Old 07-05-2014, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Member

I just have company logo and web address, but it is big. We are switching our fleet from pick ups to extra large vans. Some will have logos but one won't as it will be carrying specific expenses equipment and I don't want any robbers targeting it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2014, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

We have our trucks lettered and sometimes I wish I didn't.... especially once it gets good and hot into the season and the phone calls start coming in from people who have just had their fly-by-night guys quit on them. I waste more time answering the phone for price shopping than legitimate prospects.

There are two large LCOs in the area that are totally legit as far as I know any they don't have any lettering on their trucks or trailers. I asked one guy about it several years ago and his response was, we don't need the business.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Im official! but come the middle of the year im so busy I don't want more accounts so I take the magnetic signs off my truck, just because they aren't marked with numbers and names doesn't means ones no legal, yes there are some that are running with no business license and they will eventually get asked but don't always assume. I carry my license with me everywhere I go, ive been stopped by county officials and asked before but not all areas do this.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraft73 View Post
Im official! but come the middle of the year im so busy I don't want more accounts so I take the magnetic signs off my truck, just because they aren't marked with numbers and names doesn't means ones no legal, yes there are some that are running with no business license and they will eventually get asked but don't always assume. I carry my license with me everywhere I go, ive been stopped by county officials and asked before but not all areas do this.
Under Fla a Pest Control Company must mark their trucks with the Company Name. That name must be a minimum of 1 1/2 inches tall. My trucks have 1 5/8 tall letters just in case a Zealous Ag inspector can't measure. BTW No phone number.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Member

As of right now I have my logo, what i do, and my number on my trucks….if i ever get to the point where i have enough work, which is never, i'll pull the numbers off. Its so much more professional to pull up in front of a customers house with a lettered truck so they and the neighbors know what your there for and who is there. Around here the guys that don't have any kind of lettering are usually uninsured scabs
Old 10-06-2014, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In IL, any vehicle (which includes the trailer) used for commercial business must have the company name, city, state, and phone number on both sides and rear. To not have that, around here, is an illegit or someone waiting to have ISP ticket them.

I wish there was some sort of task force investigating all the fly-by-night contractors (lawn, gutter, building, pressure washing, etc). People have no idea who's on their property and don't realize their homeowner's insurance or own finances are at risk. It's disheartening to hear all the stories of people getting burned.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
Dolmar 245.4 string trimmer
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 10-20-2014, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

We never spend money on advertising. We have plenty of steady work coming in, and continue to grow with the right connections and establishing relationships with the right people. But the county's cracking down so we got the trailer and dump all lettered up this summer.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My son made me take name off trailer because I am a bad driver.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've actually been thinking of taking the graphics off my truck. My trailers have signs/graphics.

Sometimes it's nice crushing incognito.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-21-2014, 03:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I do not think I am that incognito any more. There is chatter amongst people about the guy with the GM 1000 and the 100 gallon spray rig. if people need my services I have a network of vendors who refer people to me. A number of my customers found me when they were trying to buy something they are not supposed to have. Or else they go back to the nursery/sod farm when there are problems.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738