Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-05-2014, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm also looking into equipment for leaf removal in the fall but I was interested in the cyclone rake. Does anyone have any opinions on them or a better way that may be cheaper?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2014, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

There is no cheap way of doing leaf removal and being efficient. Cheap is a rake and a tarp. You have to design a set up based on your equipment at hand and methods that are available to you. Leaf disposal is a big issue in a lot of areas.

I had an old cyclone rake that came with an old riding mower that I bought years ago, worked good for a 3.5hp unit. They are designed more for riding tractors and on site dumping.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene gls View Post
There is no cheap way of doing leaf removal and being efficient. Cheap is a rake and a tarp. You have to design a set up based on your equipment at hand and methods that are available to you. Leaf disposal is a big issue in a lot of areas.

I had an old cyclone rake that came with an old riding mower that I bought years ago, worked good for a 3.5hp unit. They are designed more for riding tractors and on site dumping.
I have a gravely proturn 460 which in my opinion is pretty heavy so would a used cyclone rake on craigslist be a good way to go as long as it's in working condition?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2014, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There is good money in leaves but you have to spend the money to make it. Really depends on properties far as what equipment you should buy. Bagger type equipment doesn't work for my properties but a leaf loader is a must. Bags are a joke no matter what size property you are doing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2014, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMC32 View Post
I have a gravely proturn 460 which in my opinion is pretty heavy so would a used cyclone rake on craigslist be a good way to go as long as it's in working condition?
Posted via Mobile Device
Have you sent for their free brochure? A new cyclone starts in the area of $1200.00, depending on model, and goes up to $2200.00 or so. You need to read up on them and think about how you are going to hook it up to a Z machine and what will be involved in the use of it. My info book lists the unit as being 7'6" long. Picture your self with it in a fixed position, mower and cyclone, 12 + feet long unit . Have you tried to back up a small utility trailer hooked up to your Z unit? Buying a used cyclone could be a good deal if you find one in good condition and know what the model sold for new. Replacing parts could put you over the price of a new one in a hurry. It will be a "learning" curve for you which ever way you go.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysmowing View Post
There is good money in leaves but you have to spend the money to make it. Really depends on properties far as what equipment you should buy. Bagger type equipment doesn't work for my properties but a leaf loader is a must. Bags are a joke no matter what size property you are doing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Agreed..we never became efficient and very profitable until we had about $8K-$10K alone in leaf equipment or things that could be used on leaf jobs. Otherwise, you will work a lot for not much profit. Sorry, no real easy outs on leaf jobs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-21-2014, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

anybody use one of these agri fab lawn / leaf vacume units - http://www.usfarmer.com/#archived-eq..._VACUUM_99174/
Old 07-21-2014, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a 16' trailer with 4x10 sheets of plywood around the entire thing. We blow all our leaves into a pile, rake onto tarps, and throw it in the trailer. We can do 2-5 cleanups a day before dumping, all depends though on how bad the yard is.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

we never blow into a pile as first step because theyll fill truck up much faster . where as if first step is leaving them as they sit and running over them a few times before using mower to then shoot them into piles your able to fit alot more on truck plus its less raking . then after we rake up leaves into tarps we give it a final cut with bagger on
Old 07-22-2014, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Member

that works if you have a nice mower like that or a tract-vac system.. we don't so we just blow and throw into the trailer. Most of the yards we work in are so weird shaped or on hilly terrain you couldn't use a mower if you wanted.