Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-05-2014, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post

Here's the deal for you, Ralph.
You've already been promoted a few times.
You make way more than the average 32 year old, you have benefits and a good life.

WHY did you chose LAWN CARE as the target of your business thirst?
Have you thought this out really good.
This sounds a bit like an early midlife crisis for you.

Why not run it on the side for a while, see if it goes anywhere, and if It does you can just hire some employees?
I'm about maxed out at my current job, unless I was willing to relocate. That is not an option, so I'm pretty much where I'd be for the rest of my time here. I'm not miserable at my job, but it's not very fulfilling. But, I know I'm paid pretty well and have very good benefits so I just tell myself "screw being fulfilled" and keep plugging away.

I really only picked lawn care because it was so easy to get started. I don't mind the work at all, but I definitely wouldn't say I have a passion for it. The fun part for me is coming home afterwards and entering everything into Quickbooks and my spreadsheets.

I'm so far away from being able to make any kind of switch that I don't have a choice but to run it on the side. The only thing that makes working 7 days a week hard right now is not knowing if the side business will go anywhere. I can make it fine on what I make at the job only, so thinking about how the business could become full-time one day is what motivates me to get out and work on my days off, instead of going fishing and spending time with the family.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoGuyswithMowers View Post
My average yard right now is $40-$50 per cut.

$45 per cut x 60 weekly accounts = $2,700 per week
$2,700 per week x 35 weeks = $94,500 per year with a lot of time off

If I'm debt free except for my house with a very large emergency fund, I can't see having any problem contributing to my retirement and buying my own insurance.

These numbers looks about right?
Even if you could achieve those numbers, you can subtract 33% for expenses, and a additional 7% for Social Security Tax. '

You could keep your current deal going, your wife gets a job making 30k per year.

Add the numbers.

Current job 85k and 20k in benefits. Side job 20k.
Wife potential job 30 plus benefits.
Adds up to a minimum of 155k.

So if you gross 90k in lawn care you will make 60k and pay an additional 7% sp that puts you roughly at 55k.

Your making plans to cut your own throat so to speak
Old 07-05-2014, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm actually a little surprised that so many entrepreneurs are saying to keep the job. I think I was expecting something different. You guys make some good points though. And I have a long time to ponder over this.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2014, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I'm actually a little surprised that so many entrepreneurs are saying to keep the job. I think I was expecting something different. You guys make some good points though. And I have a long time to ponder over this.
Posted via Mobile Device
You just missed the thread on that.

There's a difference between having a business and a solo job
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2014, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
If you had a husband/wife lawn business and were making 60k and got offered a 85k job with 20k in benefits, and the wife got offered a 30k job with benefits.............would you stay in the Lawn business...............Id say probably not.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
The economy took a dump along with the housing bubble burst.

So did my job at $85,000 a year that would be paying $125,000 now with a platinum health care, dental, eyes, and I would have 22 years in the pension now and 28 years when I would be retiring. My pension would of been $86,800 a year plus social security.

Do I wish I had done landscaping 30 years ago?

Yes because I would be better off then I am now.

Do I wish that I had been able to keep my old job?

Yes because in 6 years I would be retired with a great pension and health benefits. Now I have to work until I the end of my life.

I will say this. When I was younger I wanted to have my own business. I new that eventually in the long run that I would be more successful as being my own boss then being an employee.

Back in 1972 I thought about the Landscape/Hort 2yr program at the local state college.

Thing is there were very few landscapers back then. You never saw a landscaper's truck on the road. I felt that there would not be enough business out there. Back then people painted their own houses, mowed their own lawns, got out the hose and washed their own cars, then parked the car in the shade then put the ball game on the radio, pop a beer, then wax their car.

So I went in other directions being an employee. Instead of a being a business owner. A decision that I regret. Though if I still had my old job back there would still be times where I would wonder what it would be if I had started my own business.

Though with me making $125,000 a year I would have my second home, afford to hunt and fish as much as I want. Ride my Harley. Off roading in my Jeep Rubicon. Stripe Bass fishing at Montauk. Would help me ease the pain of being an employee.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
If you had a husband/wife lawn business and were making 60k and got offered a 85k job with 20k in benefits, and the wife got offered a 30k job with benefits.............would you stay in the Lawn business...............Id say probably not.
Ha ha, who turns down a $25,000 raise with platinum health care?
Old 07-05-2014, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Ha ha, who turns down a $25,000 raise with platinum health care?
I was 32 a while back and I did a lot of DUMB Stuff, and I don't recommend it to others.

32vid you definitely have the right idea that nice stuff helps a lot with the shortcomings of a regular job.

I don't care what anyone says $$$$$ DOES NOT suck!
Old 07-05-2014, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

dude, I would stay at the job you have. You did not figure in sooooo much,. how bout insurance? how bout the windows you throw rocks through and have to replace and wear and tear on mowers. gas.... advertising to get more yards. I mean just so many things that's not figured in. 80k with insurance is pretty damn good. Im gonna have to agree with efficiency on this one. that could very well happen to you. I would get your wife to answer the lawn care phone and you run the business and have someone cut. Save become debt free the re evaluate if you hate your job. But your numbers are off imo. and what happens when theres a historical drought and you keep getting told to "hold off another week"
Old 07-05-2014, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

another thing..... helath insurance cost. 8-12k a yr you need to make just to pay for that. think smart..... if you wanna do it go for it but rethink your numbers