Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-05-2014, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Trees that look good planted in a line, showy most of the year?

I have about 200' of frontage along a road at the back of my property that I would like to plant a row of trees along. My mother-in-law bought my wife an Oklahoma Redbud (5 gallon?) for her birthday and we planted it today. Our idea is to plant a row of trees that will grow at similar sizes/rates that will grow along the back there and look good most of the year. I looked up this tree she bought us and it actually looks like it's going to be a great looking tree most of the year long which I'm excited about. Looking to see what other options I should be looking at; I don't want all the same tree. Some purple/pink/white/blue etc.

I am in PA.

Thank you.

Husqvarna 435
Super crappy yard
Old 07-05-2014, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Man, let me try and talk you out of using any kind of redbud. They might have a nice flower in the spring but that's it's best feature. They have poor branching and weak wood. One tree put's off thousand's of seed's yearly and 90% of those seed's sprout and are very aggravating. They are relativity short lived and are just generally a poor tree. You can choose from a large variety of tree's in PA. Just one i like is a Princeton Elm. Tree's can be around for more than 100 year's. They can really affect the value of your property, you need to choose wisely and for the long run.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Tried colored beech comes to mind. Though slow growing, they look great.

Columnar Oaks.

Newer varieties of ornamental pears.

Japanese lilac trees are great also.

Or, even traditional large lilac bushes.

Throw some dwarf blue spruces in there for winter interest.

Regardless, think diversity and go with 3-4 different kinds of trees. Going with just one could be asking for problems.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2014, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

mix in a few cedar cypress, fast growing and they will block the road
Old 07-06-2014, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
Man, let me try and talk you out of using any kind of redbud. They might have a nice flower in the spring but that's it's best feature. They have poor branching and weak wood. One tree put's off thousand's of seed's yearly and 90% of those seed's sprout and are very aggravating. They are relativity short lived and are just generally a poor tree. You can choose from a large variety of tree's in PA. Just one i like is a Princeton Elm. Tree's can be around for more than 100 year's. They can really affect the value of your property, you need to choose wisely and for the long run.
If pruned right They live a long life I have one in my Front lawn was planted in 1983 and planted a lot of Redbuds over the years
Redbud is a Slow grower
Old 07-06-2014, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi Dave.....not a pro, but I am on a few acres and would not consider doing what you want to do with redbuds. They're pretty for a while, and I tolerate a few as accent trees, but that's about as far as it will ever go (for reasons cited above by the pros). You're setting yourself up for a fair amount of work down the road and, if you go with a single species, any conditions (environmental or disease) that adversely affect one will likely affect the whole lot. Though I understand what you're going for, some variety using a few of the species already suggested above might be worth looking into.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I appreciate all the input so far! I definitely don't want a continuous row of the same tree, would like some variety. Great point about any disease too.

It's funny the things we become excited about as we get older. Planted the tree with my 3- and 5- year old daughters yesterday. It was exciting to have some shade, even if it was only a few square feet.

So I will leave this single redbud there and dig into the other suggestions you've posted.

When doing multiple tree types in a row, is it best to do a pattern or random? (ABCDABCD) or (ADCBCAD)

Yeah the one bad thing about buying in a development that was a farm is the lack of trees.
Husqvarna 435
Super crappy yard
Old 07-06-2014, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave88LX View Post

When doing multiple tree types in a row, is it best to do a pattern or random? (ABCDABCD) or (ADCBCAD)
Depends, are you going for a natural look or something a little more uniform.

I personally like a random natural look. But sometimes the site and specifics make symmetry look more appealing.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Depends, are you going for a natural look or something a little more uniform.

I personally like a random natural look. But sometimes the site and specifics make symmetry look more appealing.

There you go. The big thing is to plant those tree's with enough room between them so that 25 year's from now someone doesn't have to come behind you with a chainsaw. You might be surprised at how often something like that happen's.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
There you go. The big thing is to plant those tree's with enough room between them so that 25 year's from now someone doesn't have to come behind you with a chainsaw. You might be surprised at how often something like that happen's.
That's why I love hybrid poplars. Extremely fast growing and tall. They are a great filler for 20 years, then they die. By that time, hopefully your desired trees are starting to fill and take shape.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.